The Fall of Languish a (heavily modded) Rimworld AAR

Started by Razgovory, May 10, 2020, 12:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Richard Hakluyt

This has to be one of the best AARs I have ever read  :cool:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Fuck!  I had written half of this when the cat stepped on my keyboard and deleted it.

I'll take another shot at it.

The Final Countdown, or how things went downhill really fast.

Another base full of bad robots landed on the outskirts of the colony.  It landed in the same place as the previous robots so robots must not be the most creative types.  This base was well protected and had little factories to produce more robots to eventually send at us in a wave of mechanical death.  It also had five robot tanks, a mortar and force field that protected it from artillery.  The base starts out dormant and only attacks after it "wakes up".  So we took up position in the trenches around the giant guns and sent Jaron out to wake the robots up with a missile launcher.  To fire the missile launcher Jaron had to get inside the robot force field, so  that went about as well as you would expect.

Two things: I had downloaded a mod to improve the mortar accuracy.  In the base game a mortar round has about a 50-50 chance to land within the same post code as the target.  Second: the robot tanks each carried a mortar.  While Jaron was an acceptable sacrifice, I was not.  The trenches didn't do much to protect the people in them so we lost about a dozen members before we retreated under the mountain.  We did manage to destroy most of the smaller robots, so at least that was something.  Also, we had a weather machine thing that created tornados.  That was less helpful than you'd think.

The big robots didn't follow us into the base, though a few of the little ones did.  Instead the they just milled about out side blowing up oil tanks and solar heaters.  They also managed to knock out our sewer lines (In retrospect, we probably shouldn't have made those out of wood) so our toilets stopped working.  Because Languish members are so full of shit, this was major problem.  People kept going out side to crap only to get killed by giant robots.  We made a few efforts to attack the robots and save our downed people but it was mostly unsuccessful.

The situation is pretty much hopeless at this point.  Everyone is having nervous breakdowns.   Some people are in a catatonic trance. Even some of the live stock is having nervous breakdowns. A donkey fell into a depression because garbon died.  They must have been close.

So we turned to the two things Languish has in abundance.  Nuclear power and spite:  Two great tastes that taste great together.  If we can't live here, then by God nobody will live here.  We sent Slargos to beat the crap out of the reactor.

The Base is mostly still there, but the molten core of the reactor is spewing radiation all over the place.  The radiation is also killing the robots off, albeit very slowly.  It's not really helping the situation, because the robot base just builds more robots, but you know, spite.

The downside is there no more power which isn't really helping anyone's mood.  Many of the patients die of hunger.  People are too loopy or too lazy or too much of an asshole to bring food to the hospital.  Some of the more disgruntled colonists have been freeing our prisoners.  Harmless, right?  That's what I thought.  One of the prisoners escaped and beat a kitten to death.

We capture the prisoner and punished her by removing her lungs.

We decide to make a last ditch effort toe escape and start a new colony on far away from the robots, and fire and radiation.  Nobody thinks that this will work, and it doesn't.  The colonists try to escape through the robots.

The last two survivors are Gups and Zoupa, both old ladies.  they make one last charge at a robot caterpillar. Zoupa is the last to die.  Before she succumbs to the radiation a mysterious man in black come s to the rescue.  He attempts to pistol whip a tank into submission.  That doesn't work. 

While none of us get out we die with the comforting thought that we have severely damaged the environment and probably increased cancer deaths across the planet.  The local fauna are dying off with severe radiation burns.

The end.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Great AAR. :thumbsup:

The story kinda reminded me of what it looks like when CC "debates" viper.  Especially the bit where everybody, including bystanders, goes insane.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

And so it ends. Not with a whimper but with a nuclear bang. Thanks for this, Raz. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

Caliga

Interesting.  btw I have no idea what this game is about. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Looks like better graphics space colonization Dwarf Fortress.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

daveracher

Birdman of Burlington

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 22, 2020, 02:52:42 PM
Looks like better graphics space colonization Dwarf Fortress.

Basically this. The gfx were inspired by Prison Architect, and they checked with Introversion if they were ok with them using a similar style.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HisMajestyBOB

Thanks Raz! Your AAR convinced me to get the game myself during the Steam summer sale (only 10% off though). It's been worth it so far.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help