And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Florian Schneider

Started by Sheilbh, May 06, 2020, 10:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

:(
QuoteR.I.P. Florian Schneider, Kraftwerk Co-Founder Dies at 73
Schneider founded the electronic project alongside founded the group alongside Ralf Hütter in 1970
by Alex Young
on May 06, 2020, 4:18pm
0 comments   

Kraftwerk

Florian Schneider, co-founding member of Germany's electronic music group Kraftwerk, has died at the age of 73. A representative for the band said Schneider had been battling cancer.

Schneider founded Kraftwerk alongside Ralf Hütter in 1970, after meeting at the Academy of Arts in Remscheid in Düsseldorf. The pair were part of Germany's experimental music underground scene, initially playing together as members of a group called Organisation. However, after Schneider became interested in synthesizers, the duo began recording music under the name Kraftwerk. Their initial two studio albums — Kraftwerk and Kraftwerk 2 — consisted of free-form experimental recordings, created using guitar, bass, drums, organ, flute, and violin, and later distorted with audio-tape manipulation and multiple dubbings. In 1973, after Wolfgang Flür joined the group, Kraftwerk began experimenting more with synthesizer and drum machines, culminating in release of Ralf und Florian.

Kraftwerk achieved mainstream success with 1974's Autobahn and its 1975-follow-up, Radio-Activity, boasting a refined electronic sound created using new music tech including the Minimoog and the EMS Synthi AKS. At the same time, the band began staging innovative live shows featuring an expanded touring lineup, matching costumes, light shows, and live vocals sung with the use of a vocoder.

Subsequent albums including 1977's Trans-Europe Express and 1978's The Man-Machine cemented Kraftwerk's status as one of the defining groups of their generation, and attracted the attention of fellow music legends like David Bowie and Brian Eno. In fact, Bowie invited Kraftwerk to join him on his "Station to Station Tour" (the group ultimately declined the offer), and later Bowie named the Heroes song "V-2 Schneider" in tribute to Schneider.

After four decades as an active member, Schneider left Kraftwerk in 2008, citing a desire to no longer tour.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

:(

Trans-Europa Express remains my favorite piece by the band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOfh7YdugzQ
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PRC

fromtia

"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Kraftwerk  was one of first groups I recall my cousins album collection containing, along with the Clash and Prince. RIP
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

PDH

RIP

Very influential in my personal musical history.  One of the groups that made me an outsider to a degree in High School.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM