The Atlantic Op Ed: Pandemic reveals US as failed state

Started by Syt, May 05, 2020, 03:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on May 06, 2020, 12:03:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2020, 11:47:13 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2020, 01:30:58 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 06, 2020, 01:19:58 AM
What support do you have for that claim?

The fact that the measures taken in the US were broadly in line with what other countries did (except our stimulus seems to have been much more generous).  That Italian and Spanish style lock downs are the domain of state governments.

Wow, I have heard of Americans being completely out of touch with what is happening in the rest of the word. But wow!

What word?

The Word was with God. The Word was God.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 06, 2020, 12:07:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 06, 2020, 12:03:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2020, 11:47:13 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2020, 01:30:58 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 06, 2020, 01:19:58 AM
What support do you have for that claim?

The fact that the measures taken in the US were broadly in line with what other countries did (except our stimulus seems to have been much more generous).  That Italian and Spanish style lock downs are the domain of state governments.

Wow, I have heard of Americans being completely out of touch with what is happening in the rest of the word. But wow!

What word?

The Word was with God. The Word was God.

No matter where you say it you know that you'll be heard.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2020, 03:43:37 AM
QuoteThe Fund for Peace characterizes a failed state as having the following characteristics:

• Loss of control of its territory, or of the monopoly on the legitimate use of physical force therein
  • Erosion of legitimate authority to make collective decisions
  • Inability to provide public services
  • Inability to interact with other states as a full member of the international community
From the outside, I get the impression that the intense partisanship of the federal government, not just the executive, but also legislative and also the Supreme Court do cause an erosion of "legitimate authority to make collective decisions" in the US at the federal level. There seems to be very little consensus and a lot of confrontation without even trying to embrace the political opponents or find solutions that are not directly benefitting the own political clientele.
I don't see an signs for the other three points.

Valmy

If you cooperate with the opposition you can expect to pay a steep political price with little benefit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."