I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 22, 2020, 02:40:32 PM
How are they gonna know?

Presumably they notice when someone comes into the office

Eddie Teach

There's a whole world outside of the office. Point being, the company doesn't have the capability to force someone to self-isolate.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 23, 2020, 12:40:24 PM
There's a whole world outside of the office. Point being, the company doesn't have the capability to force someone to self-isolate.

If that is the point, then you are wrong.  If an employee is told to self isolate it is to ensure that they do not come back to the office and, importantly, to ensure they are not exposed again prior to their return to the office.  If the employer found out the employee did not follow that direction, which btw is trivially easy now that everyone voluntarily puts their life on display through social media, then the employer would have reason to terminate.

The only thing you have to fall back on his the hope that they don't find out.

Eddie Teach

So just don't put your life on social media while playing hooky from work? This should be trivially easy.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 23, 2020, 01:25:28 PM
So just don't put your life on social media while playing hooky from work? This should be trivially easy.

Like I said, its not that the employer can't, your point is that you hope you won't get caught.

With that logic the state also does not have the capability to make criminal laws.  People will just try not getting caught.

Sheilbh

I think Syt is in a country with functioning contact tracing. So I imagine he'd be rumbled if the public health authorities didn't get in touch with his employers to tell them and ask for contact details of everyone who'd been in the office.

So he'd probably have to lie to his employers and the public health authorities. No-one can object to pulling a sickie but I feel like telling the authorities you have covid when you don't is possibly a waste of their resources that I'd feel bad about :lol:

Edit: BUT! He could say I've got symptoms and have requested a test so I'm self-isolating (but, again, Austria is probably a system with a more functioning testing system so that might not work)...
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

The state has more active observers though.

Anyway, I agree that it's a bad idea.

Zanza

Germany is now cancelling Christmas markets. Where shall I get overpriced mulled wine and poor unhealthy food now while freezing my ass off?  :huh:

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on October 26, 2020, 11:43:28 AM
Germany is now cancelling Christmas markets. Where shall I get overpriced mulled wine and poor unhealthy food now while freezing my ass off?  :huh:

The freezing ass off part was not really true in recent years much, was it? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on October 26, 2020, 12:00:57 PM
Quote from: Zanza on October 26, 2020, 11:43:28 AM

The freezing ass off part was not really true in recent years much, was it? :unsure:

Yeah, at least we should get an old school winter if we're going to be stuck at home anyway.

Josquius

Hmm, I do wonder whether the lower pollution levels this year may have some weather impact.
Likely too small in the grand scheme to alter that much but its curious to think about.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on October 26, 2020, 04:40:30 PM
Hmm, I do wonder whether the lower pollution levels this year may have some weather impact.
Likely too small in the grand scheme to alter that much but its curious to think about.

I think in the short term it'll lead to warmer temperatures - as the particulates and water vapour put into the atmosphere has the effect of reflecting out heat from the sun.

As you say long term it means nothing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HisMajestyBOB

The DC area had the best air quality this year in decades.
It was on an improving trend in recent years already, but a combination of pandemic-induced WFH and favorable weather patterns push this year to the top.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Duque de Bragança

Lockdown 2.0 in France starting Friday. En marche! :glare:

Barrister

So in the spring we had shortages of masks, disinfectant, then we went through the flour / yeast shortage, and the ongoing shortage of workout equipment.

Next thing we're going to have a run on is firewood.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/cant-find-firewood-market-hot-covid-19-to-blame-shortage-1.5779479
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.