6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Zoupa

Quote from: garbon on July 01, 2020, 06:03:38 AM
I've left my apt complex twice since 23rd of March. :hmm:

wtf. You don't take walks?  :wacko:

viper37

Quote from: PDH on June 30, 2020, 09:36:40 PM
The only time people feel no need to wear a mask is when AT THE BEACH IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO EACH OTHER AND ALL THOSE FROM ALL OVER.
you don't need a mask underwater.  well, not that kind of masks :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Well, my brother got laid off due to Covid-19.  Just got off the phone with him.

His company was a piece of shit anyway so he's not exactly sad about leaving it, but he does very specialized work (regulatory compliance in the telecom industry) and there's basically no other work whatsoever for someone in that field in Richmond.

Dish Network is trying to recruit him, but they are insisting he would have to move to Denver, which would mean my sister in law would need to quit her very secure/stable job as a chemical engineer. :hmm:

I told him to tell the recruiter that he'll only consider taking that job if they let him work remote for a year, so that way if it's not a good fit he doesn't ruin their lives by uprooting them for no reason... not like either of them has any family in Denver or any other reason to be there, really.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Zanza

I am in Austria right now and mask wearing is even less here than in Germany. You don't have to wear the mask here in restaurants or hotels. But disinfectants everywhere. Hmm.  :huh:

Let's see how it is in Italy. I expect it to be much stricter.

Pedrito

Quote from: Zanza on July 02, 2020, 11:14:04 PM
I am in Austria right now and mask wearing is even less here than in Germany. You don't have to wear the mask here in restaurants or hotels. But disinfectants everywhere. Hmm.  :huh:

Let's see how it is in Italy. I expect it to be much stricter.
Summer is hard for Covid-19 compliance in Italy. Beaches are full of people, there's quite a lot of foreigners (not many as usual, though), and masks are not seen anywhere in proximity of the beaches.
On the other hand, shops, markets and every establishment open to the public are very strict: people can get in only by wearing a mask, every shop has sanitizer distributors around, and people are usually really careful about it.
In theory it's forbidden to use air conditioning in public places, but in the last days temperature rose up to a humid 34° C, so AC has become essentially mandatory even in public spaces.

Last friday I went to have a couple beers with friends, and in the central squares of the city there were, I think, 5K young people :wacko: drinking and having fun and doing young people things with total disregard of social distancing - and this is without the usually great number of university students, that are still home because UniPd will reopen probably in september.

There was quite the number of really attractive girls prancing around, by the way.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Tamas

I am a bit worried that previous concerns over what the developed world is going to do with an aging population are going to be solved in a very cruel way by this virus.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on July 02, 2020, 09:50:12 PM
not like either of them has any family in Denver or any other reason to be there, really.

Legal weed?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

The spike in cases in Upper Austria has been traced to large families from Romania who are part of a Christian sect that believes in spirit healing over traditional medicine, and it's estimated that members who were infected turned to laying on of hands in the community for treatment.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on July 02, 2020, 09:50:12 PM
Well, my brother got laid off due to Covid-19.  Just got off the phone with him.

His company was a piece of shit anyway so he's not exactly sad about leaving it, but he does very specialized work (regulatory compliance in the telecom industry) and there's basically no other work whatsoever for someone in that field in Richmond.

Dish Network is trying to recruit him, but they are insisting he would have to move to Denver, which would mean my sister in law would need to quit her very secure/stable job as a chemical engineer. :hmm:

I told him to tell the recruiter that he'll only consider taking that job if they let him work remote for a year, so that way if it's not a good fit he doesn't ruin their lives by uprooting them for no reason... not like either of them has any family in Denver or any other reason to be there, really.

In the current situation moving across the country is pretty dumb even if she didn't have a job, working remote for a while is wise even for a job an hour away.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

This is not the kind of economy where you give up the one secure job of the household to gamble on a new one, IMHO.

mongers

Perhaps The lockdown highlight in the mongers household over the last few weeks has been reading the tracking info for the radio I ordered from China.

It' left Southern China by rail, got to the Kazakh border, changed trains and gauges the the Dzhurong Gate, travel across russia, changed gauges again somewhere in E.Europe, arrived in Brest, went to Duisburg, got stuck there in a warehouse for ten days,  then made it to Belgium, I think it then went through the tunnel and eventually arrived Yesterday.  :)

I saved the tracking data if anyone wants me to post it, it's really that exciting.  :D

Oh and the radio is brilliant for what it does. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on July 03, 2020, 09:04:30 AM
Perhaps The lockdown highlight in the mongers household over the last few weeks has been reading the tracking info for the radio I ordered from China.

It' left Southern China by rail, got to the Kazakh border, changed trains and gauges the the Dzhurong Gate, travel across russia, changed gauges again somewhere in E.Europe, arrived in Brest, went to Duisburg, got stuck there in a warehouse for ten days,  then made it to Belgium, I think it then went through the tunnel and eventually arrived Yesterday.  :)

I saved the tracking data if anyone wants me to post it, it's really that exciting.  :D

Oh and the radio is brilliant for what it does.

That is pretty cool.  :D

My very first e-bay (and also non-Hungarian wargame) purchase was a used copy of the old AH game War and Peace. As I was cheap back then I had the guy ship it via surface mail. :D Unfortunately there was no such tracking info back then as I recall, but I could imagine the adventures the parcel went through during the month it got to me.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on July 03, 2020, 09:20:15 AM

That is pretty cool.  :D

My very first e-bay (and also non-Hungarian wargame) purchase was a used copy of the old AH game War and Peace. As I was cheap back then I had the guy ship it via surface mail. :D Unfortunately there was no such tracking info back then as I recall, but I could imagine the adventures the parcel went through during the month it got to me.

:cool:

OK, Tamas since you 'insisted':

Thu, 2 Jul 2020 2:31 AM   GREAT BRITAIN   DELIVERED   
Tue, 30 Jun 2020 9:38 PM   N/A   F SCAN RECEIVED : DEPARTURE FROM OE TO DISTRIBUTION NETWORK : CLEARANCE RELEASE   
Tue, 30 Jun 2020 7:30 PM   GREAT BRITAIN   ARRIVAL OFFICE OF EXCHANGE   
Mon, 29 Jun 2020 2:23 PM   N/A   ARRIVED AT DESTINATION WAREHOUSE   
Mon, 29 Jun 2020 1:35 PM   BELGIUM   DEPARTURE TO COUNTRY OF DESTINATION   
Mon, 29 Jun 2020 12:23 PM   N/A   DEPARTURE FROM DUISBURG   
Fri, 19 Jun 2020 12:23 AM   DUI   ARRIVED IN DESTINATION CITY   
Wed, 17 Jun 2020 12:23 PM   N/A   DEPARTURE FROM MALA   
Sun, 14 Jun 2020 10:24 AM   N/A   ARRIVED IN MALA   
Sat, 13 Jun 2020 8:24 PM   N/A   ARRIVED IN BREST   
Mon, 8 Jun 2020 6:24 PM   N/A   DEPARTURE FROM DSTK   
Sun, 7 Jun 2020 4:24 PM   N/A   ARRIVED IN DSTK   
Sun, 7 Jun 2020 2:00 PM   N/A   UPLIFTED FROM TRANSSHIPMENT HUB   
Wed, 3 Jun 2020 10:24 PM   N/A   ARRIVED IN ALASHANKOU   
Sat, 30 May 2020 3:00 PM   N/A   DEPARTURE FROM WAREHOUSE   
Sat, 30 May 2020 12:00 PM   N/A   EXPORT CUSTOMS CLEARED   
Thu, 28 May 2020 7:47 PM   SHENZHEN   ITEM DESPATCHED TO TRANSSHIPMENT HUB   
Thu, 28 May 2020 7:39 AM   N/A   SHIPMENT READY FOR TRANSPORT   
Thu, 28 May 2020 7:36 AM   SZ   PROCESSED AT ORIGIN HUB   
Thu, 28 May 2020 7:35 AM   SZ   RECEIVED SHIPMENT   
Tue, 26 May 2020 3:34 AM   N/A   ITEM IS ANNOUNCED / BPOST RECEIVED THE INFORMATION   

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on July 03, 2020, 03:57:55 AM
The spike in cases in Upper Austria has been traced to large families from Romania who are part of a Christian sect that believes in spirit healing over traditional medicine, and it's estimated that members who were infected turned to laying on of hands in the community for treatment.
Spirit healing is good for some things.  I'm sure it's more effective at providing herd immunity than everything science tried so far.

Caliga

Quote from: Tamas on July 03, 2020, 05:26:37 AM
This is not the kind of economy where you give up the one secure job of the household to gamble on a new one, IMHO.
Right, which is why I told him to do what he did.

He sounded convinced that if he doesn't take this job (assuming it's actually offered), his career would be seriously stalled though... which I think he could be right about.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points