I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Syt

Quote from: Legbiter on March 25, 2020, 11:49:54 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 25, 2020, 11:33:23 AM
Btw, can I just add that I shudder to think how this whole lockdown would have looked 30 years ago, in the days before widespread internet? :P

They might have been more effective back then. No Schengen/EU politics, no scruples about acting "paranoid/racist" early, no spreadsheet wizardry to give a false sense of control. Effective control measures that have worked since the medieval age. A much more decentralized patchwork with internal firebreaks on movement. All the pharmaceutical/PPE industry not stuck offshore, etc, etc.

And more people going mental at home with limited entertainment. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

So we have managed to get all the needed goods so far except for flour and dishwasher detergent. I guess people are baking and washing their dishes a lot during this pandemic :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Btw, can I just add that I shudder to think how this whole lockdown would have looked 30 years ago, in the days before widespread internet? :P

I was told by Polish friends that one of the side effects of the martial law of the early 80s in Poland was a massive baby boom in the following years.  :P

merithyn

Quote from: bogh on March 25, 2020, 04:33:43 AM
Non-essential, working from home. Officially due to last until after Easter and if the numbers keep reasonable, I suspect they will try to open up some schools or work places again.

I quit my job last week, as I have accepted a bigger job elsewhere, which is really awkward in terms of timing, but it all seems to be working out well enough.

We just hired a new person for our team. She starts April 6, and will be fully on-boarded remotely. I'm supposed to be pulling together the stuff to train her, and honestly, I'm not even sure what that should look like. It's really hard to do remotely. :blink:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Working remote from home.  Everything is essentially the same for me, except I'm on a lot of conference calls I can barely hear now and that people can't get on due to so many busy signals. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on March 25, 2020, 12:53:40 PM
Quote from: bogh on March 25, 2020, 04:33:43 AM
Non-essential, working from home. Officially due to last until after Easter and if the numbers keep reasonable, I suspect they will try to open up some schools or work places again.

I quit my job last week, as I have accepted a bigger job elsewhere, which is really awkward in terms of timing, but it all seems to be working out well enough.

We just hired a new person for our team. She starts April 6, and will be fully on-boarded remotely. I'm supposed to be pulling together the stuff to train her, and honestly, I'm not even sure what that should look like. It's really hard to do remotely. :blink:
:lol:

Yeah I've been working with a couple of colleagues who started this week. Did their IT training/induction remotely - I imagine it's really weird for them.
Let's bomb Russia!

Pedrito

I work in wholesale and retail, so I closed shop and am working from home at keeping ties with some clients. And I'm working as social media manager of my company.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Larch on March 25, 2020, 12:12:50 PM

I was told by Polish friends that one of the side effects of the martial law of the early 80s in Poland was a massive baby boom in the following years.  :P

I was going to say...either a lot more domestic violence or a lot more sex.

Or probably both.

Fate

Thankfully radiology is amenable to work from home, unlikely most other subspecialties. I have a full workstation but we still trade off working on site in our hospitals about 2 out of 7 days of the week.

Once shit hits the fan like in NYC I won't be suprised if they ask for volunteers to become frontline doctors in COVID-19 wards. If they're desperate enough to ask for a radiologist help I'll of course say yes, but it's been over 5 years since I've done general internal medicine. Better than nothing, I guess. :ph34r:

Legbiter

Quote from: Fate on March 25, 2020, 01:03:30 PMOnce shit hits the fan like in NYC I won't be suprised if they ask for volunteers to become frontline doctors in COVID-19 wards. If theyr'e desperate enough to ask for a radiologist help I'll of course say yes, but it's been over 5 years since I've done general internal medicine. :ph34r:

You'll get plenty of practice.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Zanza

At least Eastern Germany would have had a lot of trained personnel on shutting down borders tightly.  :P

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2020, 12:00:34 PM
So we have managed to get all the needed goods so far except for flour and dishwasher detergent. I guess people are baking and washing their dishes a lot during this pandemic :hmm:

After a few attempts I found flour for my wife.  She was happy, but now wants bread flour.  No trace of that stuff anywhere.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fromtia

Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2020, 02:19:53 PM

After a few attempts I found flour for my wife.  She was happy, but now wants bread flour.  No trace of that stuff anywhere.

I cant find flour or yeast anywhere.  :(
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2020, 02:19:53 PM

Holy shit man! I have missed you :hug:

Yeah it is crazy I think about WWII films where people are scrambling to find shit on the black market.

I hear you gentlemen might know where I can find some flour...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on March 24, 2020, 11:44:35 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 24, 2020, 11:33:03 PM
Essential

Don't you miss the abuse your post would of rightly gotten in the past, from Shsh your know who.   :P

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".