I'm working remotely from home
49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

derspiess

Yes, really just the Oktoberfest basics-- Mettwurst, Bratwurst, Sauerkraut, potato salad, and potato pancakes. And a delicious-looking chicken dinner I didn't see at first. For dessert, strudel and cream puff. All of it I'm sure done to some German grandmothers' exact specifications.

Beer selection was on point as well.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on September 21, 2020, 06:48:33 PM
Yes, really just the Oktoberfest basics-- Mettwurst, Bratwurst, Sauerkraut, potato salad, and potato pancakes. And a delicious-looking chicken dinner I didn't see at first. For dessert, strudel and cream puff. All of it I'm sure done to some German grandmothers' exact specifications.

:mmm:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

How were the tits?

Syt

So while the numbers in Vienna keep going up up up, our manager hasn't decided yet whether the offer to work from home will be extended beyond this week.

He has ordered, however, plastic separators to put between desks for all offices that are occupied by more than one person.  :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just heard our manager isn't worried much, because Cvid-19 doesn't survive long on surfaces. My understanding is that this is currently not entirely certain, and that it can survive on some surfaces for days?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I went for a walk to the nearby town today. Been days since I've left him. I do feel a lot better for it. Should try to force myself out for a walk more often. Though I had a definite mission of buying some things from the supermarket, how it'll be without a mission considering there aren't really any scenic areas within walking distance and the coming of winter....

On the positive side in town masks were plentiful. Many old people even wearing them outside the shops. Even the little cash only discount supermarket had a masks are mandatory sign up.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2020, 09:16:43 PM

How were the tits?

Disappointing.  The ones in dirndl were, at least.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on September 22, 2020, 01:54:18 AM
EDIT: Just heard our manager isn't worried much, because Cvid-19 doesn't survive long on surfaces. My understanding is that this is currently not entirely certain, and that it can survive on some surfaces for days?

The early studies that indicated the virus surviving for days were in a lab where they started with a far bigger viral load than you'd expect to find in the real world.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Heard an update on our office situation. Our external IT has been asked to set up working spaces so that people are distanced as much as possible (which also means splitting up our office of four - which is going to be dumb, because we constantly coordinate/discuss things). Personally, I will get used to wearing masks in communal areas and during meetings (as our policy "recommends", and probably skip lunch breaks where we sit 6-10 people around a relatively small lunch table).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2020, 04:48:53 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 22, 2020, 01:54:18 AM

The early studies that indicated the virus surviving for days were in a lab where they started with a far bigger viral load than you'd expect to find in the real world.

My totally unscientific feeling is that if surface transmission was in play we'd have been much worse off (yes, that's certainly possible).

Tamas

These electricians our flat's estate agents work with must be starved for work because all they could find during their half-day check of the flat were 2 light switches without a proper "box" in the wall and connections to the meter being from the 60s but without any sign of wear, but still after less than two weeks they are eager to come in and fix them.

Well, I told them I'd prefer these delayed post-pandemic as I fail to see the urgency. Not that I am actually that worried (although having a guy again here whose job is to tour households on a daily basis can't be risk free), but I don't like being taken advantage of this way, even if I am not the one paying for it.

The estate agents can still force it through though as we are supposed to give them reasonable access. But I'll have them send it to me in writing that they consider this necessary right now.

I guess I should be happy that they don't insist on their bi-monthly visits now and instead of them creating their photo report of our home, they are content with me uploading pictures online every two months.

Grey Fox

They sure don't trust your immigrant self.

Sorry, T.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 23, 2020, 07:42:56 AM
They sure don't trust your immigrant self.

Sorry, T.

:P Yeah I do wonder if they are this strict on all tenants but they probably are. It makes them look like they are working for their money. I find it humiliating and hostile but there's little choice, especially when the flat is a relatively good deal. Took us like a year of looking before we found something so much matching what we wanted and where and for how much. So I am just taking it on the chin and push back at times for my dignity's sake.

derspiess

My son had a sore throat and cough Monday morning, as did a few of his football teammates.  A kid on the school's other 7th grade team had been confirmed to have Covid (and that team is in a 10 day shutdown), so we were naturally a little freaked out.  Got our results this morning-- all negative. 

Hope my kid enjoyed his 2 days off of school.  Back to the grind, and he has a game this afternoon.

derspiess

New Covid rule for Kentucky high school basketball-- no jump ball to begin game or overtime :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on September 23, 2020, 07:51:51 AM
:P Yeah I do wonder if they are this strict on all tenants but they probably are. It makes them look like they are working for their money. I find it humiliating and hostile but there's little choice, especially when the flat is a relatively good deal. Took us like a year of looking before we found something so much matching what we wanted and where and for how much. So I am just taking it on the chin and push back at times for my dignity's sake.
I've never had checks like that. But my experience of landlords has been as a student (including one flat where the landlady would drop by regularly for no apparent reason and looked terrifyingly like the woman who runs the bath house in Spirited Away) and fairly indifferent/hands off London landlords who only want to know if something breaks but otherwise have zero contact with me :lol:

I've not had a really bad landlord experience though I know they're out there.
Let's bomb Russia!