49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

merithyn

Quote from: PDH on September 11, 2020, 12:04:38 PM

You tell them life is really hard right now, and it has made you sick.  Sick days are given and to be used, in my opinion.  At where I am UC unless it is multiple days in a row or affecting the overall team there are no questions asked.

As some words of advice, this is not the time to take on more things.  Slow down the MBA, take mental health days, and find something wildly distracting.

I've told my advisor that due to real-life stress, I'm going to work at "typical" speed for the time being. If it takes me two years to complete the MBA, then that's what it's going to take. I simply can't push myself on that right now.

As for mental health days, those will be few and far between due to work deadlines but the moment that I can swing an afternoon off, you can bet your ass I'm going to do so. Maybe load the dog up and head east to breathe.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

I would make your manager and HR aware of what you're going through, in case you hadn't already.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

We received an email late last night from our manager that we're free to work from home till end of next week (which incidentally is how long our manager is out of the office :P ), to be reassessed next week, though he also said the measures within the office will be reassessed to make sure we can return to the office a.s.a.p.

Our team decided to meet up today and coordinate how we go about the next two weeks.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on September 15, 2020, 12:51:04 AM
We received an email late last night from our manager that we're free to work from home till end of next week (which incidentally is how long our manager is out of the office :P ), to be reassessed next week, though he also said the measures within the office will be reassessed to make sure we can return to the office a.s.a.p.

Our team decided to meet up today and coordinate how we go about the next two weeks.

Isn't working from home recommended by the health authorities? What kind of organization goes against that kind of recommendations?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

It's "recommended where possible", but it's just that: a recommendation, and requires consent by employer and employee. Just like it's "recommended" to wear a mask in meetings and when you're not at your desk at our office and to avoid any "unnecessary" travel.

A lot of companies don't allow their people to work from home, because ... old fashioned?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

We were looking forward to an undisturbed day with few people at the office, but the strategy meeting in Switzerland was last-minute canceled, so everyone is here, no one wearing masks. Yay.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

That is such idiocy. The whole bloody world has awakened to the fact that people actually do perform well working from home and not just slacking off as many bosses thought. But by your example Syt it sounds like some employers cling to that notion and are afraid of losing control.

Syt

"We are a people business, and face to face meetings are so much more productive."
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Well. Thats big.
My company is looking at moving offices in 2022. I've always been happy with this. They're moving from a horrible edge of the city business park with nothing around it to the city centre.
On corona we've been pretty much told expect not to return to the office anytime this year....
Well, just got a mail sent out saying they're going to be handing out 30 minute appointments to everyone to go and clear out the office of their personal things.
This is odd. Its too early to plan for the new office move. Could we be just going officeless? :/
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

REI, the sporting/adventure goods company had planned/built a brand new HQ to move into in my home town back in Washington state...they've pretty much completely shelved the move there, are selling it off, and appear to be planning on going mostly work-from-home (with some regional, small office locations if needed) for their corporate branch.

Zanza

My employer currently calculates with a 65% maximum attendance rate for offices, i.e. there will only be enough desks for 65% of the employees. You have to pick a desk in the morning and completely clean it in the evening. Your personal stuff goes into a locker. They are already decreasing office space by ending rental agreements.

There will be much less demand for office space in.the future. The landlords already start their "socialize our losses" campaign. Same as the owners of now too expensive high street shop spaces.

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on September 15, 2020, 07:04:59 AM
Well. Thats big.
My company is looking at moving offices in 2022. I've always been happy with this. They're moving from a horrible edge of the city business park with nothing around it to the city centre.
On corona we've been pretty much told expect not to return to the office anytime this year....
Well, just got a mail sent out saying they're going to be handing out 30 minute appointments to everyone to go and clear out the office of their personal things.
This is odd. Its too early to plan for the new office move. Could we be just going officeless? :/

Maybe the plan is to temporarily rent places in the meantime as necessary, or make use of coworking spaces?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

I guess part of the reason why management is more reluctant to permit WFH is that we're a pretty small outfit of about 15 people. If we were a larger, more anonymous operation things might be different.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

On the plus side, Vienna is offering free flu shots this year; this will be the first time in my life that I go and get one :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

That's not many. Who are the lucky free?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.