A Simpler Life? - Society / Economy after the Virus

Started by mongers, March 21, 2020, 05:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

I think part of the hoarding habit will be carried forward.  Keeping a year's supply of all kinds of medication, having more than 100 rolls of toilet paper, for example.

Cooking will be difficult because there is no time.   

Josquius

A concern I have is what it means for the high street.
It has already been struggling, shops going under quicker than things can adjust.
Now though we have all non essential brick and mortar shops closed whilst people are locked up at home.... Perfect situation for Internet shopping.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Yeah apparently Amazon is hiring massive numbers of workers.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2020, 04:52:52 PM
I think part of the hoarding habit will be carried forward.  Keeping a year's supply of all kinds of medication, having more than 100 rolls of toilet paper, for example.

I will have 4 cans of store brand chopped pressed pork shoulder in my cupboard until the day I die.

mono, how many sheets do you use to wipe your ass after a dump?

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2020, 05:02:38 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2020, 04:52:52 PM

I will have 4 cans of store brand chopped pressed pork shoulder in my cupboard until the day I die.

mono, how many sheets do you use to wipe your ass after a dump?

About 16.  I have a bad digestive system.  Been that way since I was a kid.  So I typically take 2-3 dumps per day. 

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on March 24, 2020, 04:45:48 PM
The common belief is that it takes 21 days to change a habit. We'll all be on lockdown for a lot longer than that. What changes will that bring about in your life, do you think?

I, for one, anticipate eating out far less than I had been. I'm getting into a rhythm with cooking again, and preparing meals ahead of time. There's comfort in it, and I can see carrying that forward post-quarantine.

Oh Meri that's a good question.

Though personally not too many, as I feel some of you are now moving in my direction.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

After this is all over, I am going keep at least a thousand face masks at home for next time.  I am so glad that I kept 50 or so at home after SARS in 2003.  There will be a next time, I am sure. 

Zoupa

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

Monoriu

Quote from: Zoupa on March 24, 2020, 11:08:18 PM
Why not 2000? 10 000? A million?

Obviously storage space is limited.  Facemasks aren't huge but they do take up space.  And they cost money.  1,000 for two people is enough for around 500 days.  A bit over a year.  I think that is reasonable. 

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on March 24, 2020, 04:56:10 PM
It has already been struggling, shops going under quicker than things can adjust.
Now though we have all non essential brick and mortar shops closed whilst people are locked up at home.... Perfect situation for Internet shopping.

Good riddance if there ever was one. The "high street" is an expensive middleman, profiting from the barriers in front of a simple citizen obtaining goods more directly from the manufacturer. Technology has removed most of those barriers.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on March 25, 2020, 04:10:51 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 24, 2020, 04:56:10 PM

Good riddance if there ever was one. The "high street" is an expensive middleman, profiting from the barriers in front of a simple citizen obtaining goods more directly from the manufacturer. Technology has removed most of those barriers.

Don't you have grandparents?
How will they manage if all shopping goes online only?

I've lived in a country where the  death of the high street is a lot further developed. Its not a pretty sight at all. It really is downfall of society territory.
The high street is declining, this is known. However we need to ensure that this decline is a gradual one that causes the least damage possible,lets the older generation to continue to live their lives, and allows for transition to a new model that leaves our towns intact.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Also the high street is an important place from the perspective of identity and community. People see it as a sort of barometer for the health of their community - and they're right. Especially now it's not necessary you can normally tell how well a town/village is doing based on the high street because the shops and cafes etc are purely luxury.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a link between closed shops on the high street and votes for, say, UKIP or the Brexit Party. I think there was something similar in France that found a link between villages that had/didn't have a shop and support for the FN.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

If the claim is that high streets are important to maintain, what's the solution? Why would anyone want to pay a premium on goods if they don't have to (assuming their isn't a commensurate increase in quality from the high street good)?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2020, 04:42:49 AM
If the claim is that high streets are important to maintain, what's the solution? Why would anyone want to pay a premium on goods if they don't have to (assuming their isn't a commensurate increase in quality from the high street good)?
Yeah I don't know. Business rates are the thing every small business owner I know complains about, so I'd look at that. Also possibly that community interest protection in terms of planning applications to stop redevelopment. But you're right.

The other side is I actually think the high street is showing their importance right now, I know several people who live in the country who say their local shops are starting to do deliveries (mainly focused on the vulnerable) and given the issues people are having with the big supermarket delivery services at the minute, this might lead people to going more local.
Let's bomb Russia!