A Simpler Life? - Society / Economy after the Virus

Started by mongers, March 21, 2020, 05:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

What do you think your society and economy will look like after the coronavirus crisis has ended?

What shape will the world economy be in and will humans behave differently?

My guess is it'll be very messy, putting aside the human suffering, countries will have their own virus crisis for very different durations.
So whilst some of the advanced and/or organised society will be trying to start up again,  there will be plenty of countries around the world that will act as virus hotspots that can't be visited or have people from them travelling to a virus free country.

I think the implicit bet contained within Western governments emergency economic measure, that the economy and society can bounce back to how things once were will prove to be wrong.

No doubt there will be a lot of pent up demand in Western countries, but will that be enough to bring things back to the way they were or will a new normal take hold?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

You only have to drink for a poll, so no drink.

You're muddling two different concepts.  One is easing off the brake as new covid cases first diminish (ie inflection point) and then approach zero.  The other is LDCs going to hell while we're OK.  I.e. we're China and they're Italy.

I think we're going to see continued travel restrictions for a long time.

Admiral Yi

Also a third concept, which is after the crisis is over.

Josquius

The last economic crisis was supposed to be a sign that the old way of things was broken and change was needed....
Instead we got a doubling down on the establishment bollocks.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

The world recovered after the Spanish flu.  It will recover this time. 

fromtia

I think I just saw a Triffid.

But seriously, I dont think it's going to be that John Wyndham. I think there will be quite a lot of effects, but they might not become clear for a few years. I have no idea what they will be, I dont think this will transform US Society into full dystopia, but it may strengthen plenty of unwelcome trends, similarly it wont magically tansform things for the better, but there may be a silver lining or two.

I'm watching to see how the US healthcare "system" responds to this, wether it will exacerbate the situation, or rise to the occasion. If things go badly will the general population blithely accept it or will the call for systemic change to healthcare grow louder? No clue. I suspect healthcare in the US will change at the state level not the federal level. Utter Cunts, sorry Health Insurers, too well represented in government. And not any time soon, even if things go ill.

Trump may be weakened or strengthened. Not sure. I do think, as a certainty that we will start to spend a lot more on epidemiological defense, all around the world. We must not be so woefully unprepared next time.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Admiral Yi

After all the dust has settled and all the bodies buried, I hope we triple down on the establishment bollocks.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Grey Fox

The capitalism beast will not be stop for long. The march towards heat death will take back it's course.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2020, 05:46:28 PM
After all the dust has settled and all the bodies buried, I hope we triple down on the establishment bollocks.

What establishment bollocks?
Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Quote from: mongers on March 21, 2020, 05:01:16 PM
Any world leader proposing to invade China and take their resources as payback will get huge popular support.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

fromtia

Quote from: viper37 on March 21, 2020, 06:08:57 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 21, 2020, 05:01:16 PM
Any world leader proposing to invade China and take their resources as payback will get huge popular support.

Canada to attack China?
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Fate

DGuller