News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Egypt - Ethiopia conflict

Started by viper37, February 09, 2020, 10:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

For Thousands of Years, Egypt Controlled the Nile. A New Dam Threatens That.

QuoteEthiopia is staking its hopes on its $4.5 billion hydroelectric dam. Egypt fears it will cut into its water supplies. President Trump is mediating.
QuoteMr. Trump, playing on his self-image as a deal maker, has suggested that his efforts might merit a Nobel Prize.

I spit my beer reading this.  Oh well.  :(

Nonetheless, interesting read.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

They should give it Obama again.  That would be a first rate Trump troll.
Yeah I know Obama hasn't really done much of anything lately, but that wasn't an obstacle the first time around.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

I thought there was a specific Ethiopian politics thread?

But couldn't find it with search.

Anyway in an astonishing turn around in fortunes the TPLF is leading a march on the Ethiopian capital, they and their allie an Oromo guerilla group are now more than half-way along that road.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Yeah I was reading up on the situation in Ethiopia this morning.  A tragic situation - and only 2 years removed from their prime minister getting the Nobel Peace prize.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

While the Ethiopian situation is worthy of comments, this is misleading thread title given the current situation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on November 03, 2021, 11:13:31 AM

Anyway in an astonishing turn around in fortunes the TPLF is leading a march on the Ethiopian capital, they and their allie an Oromo guerilla group are now more than half-way along that road.
I don't think it's astonishing. They've been winning this war for months.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 04, 2021, 09:00:27 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 03, 2021, 11:13:31 AM

I don't think it's astonishing. They've been winning this war for months.
Obviously we all knew that, but it's still astonishing when you sit back and reflect on it.

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 04, 2021, 02:56:39 PM
While the Ethiopian situation is worthy of comments, this is misleading thread title given the current situation.
well, not my fault on this count :P

Some mod could rename it something else though. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Guardian casually mentions that government forces have lost 100,000 men. That's way larger than I would have guessed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/04/ethiopia-turkey-pact-fuels-speculation-about-drone-use-in-tigray-war
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

It's crazy as not too long ago Ethiopia was being heralded as quite a rising African success story.
And then a few years further back it was the land of famine....
Then the only free African nation...
It seems to flip from one extreme to the other.

The way itself is strange as what has been reported is the desperate humanitarian situation in Tigray. Both sides seem to be doing well on the offence and failing at defence.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Most misleading thread title EVAH. I demand it is updated to reflect Mongers' reckless disregard of the original topic.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on November 05, 2021, 04:51:54 AM
Most misleading thread title EVAH. I demand it is updated to reflect Mongers' reckless disregard of the original topic.

Could we just split it off so we don't end up with this pointless necro?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Wouldn't that require a mod to earn their pay?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

I'd prefer a separate thread for discussing thread titles.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"