Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I do fear.... If numbers do decline suitably in the US by the end of the year, trump is going to claim credit.... And people will believe him.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on August 10, 2020, 04:41:02 PM
I do fear.... If numbers do decline suitably in the US by the end of the year, trump is going to claim credit.... And people will believe him.

Well unless the end of the year is October it won't help him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2020, 10:22:22 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 10, 2020, 10:11:06 AM
Pool resources, provide funding and a mandate. The same way the Feds sped up getting to the Moon and developing an atomic bomb.
Sure but the US is doing that as are all other countries. I just don't know how much credit Trump deserves for that :mellow:
No, it's not.  The US lacks clear direction, and research is spread all over, often duplicating efforts.  At some point, there is a finite number of patients on which you can try your remedies/vaccines.
A 100 person trial on one drug is better than 10 10 patients trial on the same drug in the same time frame.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 10, 2020, 04:23:36 PM
Man so many things to be paranoid about. 5G, Vaccines, Masks, and ever more being created every day. It must be hell living in their bubble.
the next generation of protestors will storm a political event and remove their masks.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on August 10, 2020, 04:41:02 PM

It doesn't matter. Even if the numbers don't decline, Trump will still say the China Virus is disappearing and people will believe him
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Not enough people. He needs at least a little cooperation from the truth.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

It is going to decline this month, then with victory declared it will roar back in September.  The USA has invested heavily in these cycles of sickness.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

So, the Big Ten and Pac 12 have cancelled their fall football seasons.  SEC and ACC seem more determined than ever to have a season.

Can those schools resist the pressure to cancel?

As an aside, my man Jim Harbaugh notes that Michigan is doing everything right and has no Covid issues, so should be able to play.  He doesn't indicate how he can possibly protect his players if the other team isn't doing things right.  Even smart people can get tunnel vision. 

Not even the conferences, let alone college football as a whole, have a real plan to protect everyone by enforcing a set of rules on all teams.  It's as pathetic as the Trump Administration.

Oh, and Nebraska says they want to play even if the conference shuts down.  I have no idea how they think that would work.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on August 11, 2020, 07:05:16 PM
So, the Big Ten and Pac 12 have cancelled their fall football seasons.  SEC and ACC seem more determined than ever to have a season.

Can those schools resist the pressure to cancel?

As an aside, my man Jim Harbaugh notes that Michigan is doing everything right and has no Covid issues, so should be able to play.  He doesn't indicate how he can possibly protect his players if the other team isn't doing things right.  Even smart people can get tunnel vision. 

Not even the conferences, let alone college football as a whole, have a real plan to protect everyone by enforcing a set of rules on all teams.  It's as pathetic as the Trump Administration.

Oh, and Nebraska says they want to play even if the conference shuts down.  I have no idea how they think that would work.

Delayed. I would hope we all just play football in the winter or spring and give a little time for a vaccine and have a real football season with all the schools than the lame college football lite the SEC wants to do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Fall or bust.

How can you play in Spring? Anyone with pro prospects will skip the season (or at least the end of it) for the combine/draft.

It is hopeless to do this "safely". If you open colleges, you are going to have a zillion outbreaks. Too many young people don't care. A specific population of young people that is notable for playing a ridiculously dangerous sport and also being in better than average shape is even more unlikely to take precautions seriously.

High schools just reopened in Georgia and there are already a bunch of problems. One near me just closed because some of the students thought this picture was a good idea on day 1. Here we are:

Quote"As of this morning, the number of positive cases at the school had increased to a total of 14, with tests for another 15 students pending; and, as a result of the confirmed cases, 294 students and staff are under quarantine and, should the pending tests prove positive, that total would increase dramatically," Cherokee Superintendent Brian Hightower announced Tuesday afternoon.

https://www.ajc.com/education/cherokee-closing-etowah-high-until-aug-31-after-rise-in-covid-19-cases/AKVISQE7NBFA3A3KH46SX6FXFE/

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014