Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Number of cases on a slight rise in Austria, Slovakia, the Czechs and probably also in Hungary (official data shows a stop to decline and a grand total of 3 new cases, so real numbers must be higher).

But that didn't stop Prague from having a farewell Corona party where a 500 meters long table was set out for people to eat each others' homemade food:

The Larch

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 30, 2020, 11:13:06 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2020, 11:07:40 PM
I don't expect that to happen any time soon.  I fear we will simply get used to a lower life expectancy.

'No Way To Prevent This,' Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens"

Truly an all time headline from The Onion that one was.

mongers

Did anyone see some of the public speaking at the Florida state's meeting about adopting masks?

Damn, there was a lot of :tinfoil: on display, stupid to the power of 10 so to speak. The ignorant have truly found their voice and they're proud of it.  :bleeding:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on July 01, 2020, 09:03:29 AM
Did anyone see some of the public speaking at the Florida state's meeting about adopting masks?

Damn, there was a lot of :tinfoil: on display, stupid to the power of 10 so to speak. The ignorant have truly found their voice and they're proud of it.  :bleeding:

¡Bienvenido a Florida!

I think you're referring to meeting at Palm Beach County (there isn't a statewide mask mandate being considered).  The county has been the third hardest hit (after Dade (Miami) and Broward (Fort Lauderdale.))  It's also one of the richest counties in Florida; when he was president Barack Obama used to play golf there and, well, Mar-a-Lago is located there...

You'd think the people there would be among the best educated and most worried about the disease; therefore most wanting a mask mandate, but in Florida...

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on July 01, 2020, 04:03:09 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on June 30, 2020, 11:13:06 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2020, 11:07:40 PM
I don't expect that to happen any time soon.  I fear we will simply get used to a lower life expectancy.

'No Way To Prevent This,' Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens"

Truly an all time headline from The Onion that one was.

I still think their best was when Dubya took office: "Our Long National Nightmare of Peace and Prosperity Has Finally Ended."

The only problem with that piece was that all of the satirical predictions came true.  :(
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Not sure if this has been released to other local authorities, but Andy Burnham has got the pillar 1 and 2 data for Greater Manchester to compare with Leicester which shows the issue for Leicester at the minute:

Especially as Rochdale and Wigan have been named as areas that might need local lockdown. Obviously Burnham shouldn't need to push for this so hopefully it starts being released to local authorities (and the public) as standard.

I don't know what our trigger is for lockdown. I understand in Germany it's 50 cases per 100,000. It feels like it'd be helpful to have that transparent as well.
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on June 27, 2020, 11:31:46 PM
Quote from: merithyn on June 27, 2020, 09:28:05 PM
I'm curious who cc's "clique" is, given he's the only one engaging AR anymore besides you.
All of the ones who keep repeating several times a week that they're not engaging him are definitely in it.

Right. Okay. Boy, you sure told me.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 30, 2020, 01:43:41 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 29, 2020, 08:59:04 PM
It is. I'm not a statistician but Belgium strikes me as really weird - can someone explain how it had the worst number of fatalities per capita while only having an excess death of 40%? Is that just a reflection of the normal mortalities? It doesn't make sense to me.

My understanding is that it is the way the numbers are collated. The Belgians are counting every dubious death, so it is possible that their covid-19 deaths might be revised downwards at a later date.

correct

Josquius

I'm wondering on this local lockdown stuff whether it may lead to good things down the line as people come to realise our local council area borders tend to be quite awful and outdated.
██████
██████
██████

fromtia

Lets all pause for a moment and remember that Edgelord hero and worst Iain M Banks fan ever, Elon Musk predicted that there would be zero new cases by the end of April.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

mongers

Quote from: fromtia on July 01, 2020, 07:05:44 PM
Lets all pause for a moment and remember that Edgelord hero and worst Iain M Banks fan ever, Elon Musk predicted that there would be zero new cases by the end of April.

:hmm:

So another stable genius might not have been right?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Spain's unemployment rose by 5,000 people in the month of June. It's the worst June since 2008 but at the same time it's not terrible given how tourism was completely shut down. 1.1 million employees were also taken off furlough schemes (1.8m remain).

Syt

After a relatively steady rate of 30-50 new cases per day there was a spike of 100 new cases this week, with the vast majority of them in Lower Austria, leading to closed schools etc. in Linz and Wels.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.