Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I loved the Kentucky Fried Movie when I was a kid, and it cemented my mental image of Detroit  :lol:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 14, 2020, 10:16:51 AM
remdesivir.  First antiviral administered to a patient in France, with sucess.  No more signs of the virus, no clinical symptoms on the patient.

Tests are to begin soon in China. :)

The French have saved human civilization once again. You're welcome world.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on February 14, 2020, 02:27:58 PM
remdesivir.  First antiviral administered to a patient in France, with sucess.  No more signs of the virus, no clinical symptoms on the patient.

:secret:  you aren't French
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 14, 2020, 03:48:09 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 14, 2020, 02:27:58 PM

:secret:  you aren't French

He's practically French.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Close is only good enough for hand grenades and horseshoes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Camerus

Valmy is French enough that he can speak of «nos ancêtres les Gaulois».

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 14, 2020, 04:40:50 PM
Close is only good enough for hand grenades and horseshoes.

Practically is better than merely close.

jimmy olsen

Let's hope that success can be replicated, else the economy will collapse in a month

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/14/economy/coronavirus-china-economy-small-businesses/index.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

This virus seems far more contagious than the UK's official guideline of 15 minutes of close contact, would suggest.

I've just seen an item on how two Chinese tourists in Singapore created one of the clusters there as a result of a guided shopping trip, just a few minutes of shop based contact each was enough to result in 7 new cases, including secondary cases.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

I doubt if it is possible to contain it.  We may have to accept that it is a kind of serious flu that is going to infect millions and is here to stay for many years.  Right now it seems it is very contagious, but isn't particularly deadly. 

Legbiter

Quote from: Monoriu on February 15, 2020, 01:58:36 AMRight now it seems it is very contagious, but isn't particularly deadly.

Only if your health system has an available hospital bed to treat the complications. I shudder to think what would happen here if 500 people simultaneously needed to go on a ventilator.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 14, 2020, 07:35:33 PM

Let's hope that success can be replicated, else the economy will collapse in a month

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/14/economy/coronavirus-china-economy-small-businesses/index.html
not collapse, but we could enter into a short recession, yes.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

First Coronavirus death in France. A 80-year old Chinese tourist.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200215-france-announces-first-coronavirus-death-outside-asia

QuoteThe deceased patient, a Chinese tourist from the province of Hubei, had a serious lung infection caused by the COVID-19 virus.