Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Larch

QuoteCSU athletes, staff say athletic administration covering up COVID-19 health threat

CSU football players and university athletic department staff say coaches have told players not to report COVID-19 symptoms, threatened players with reduced playing time if they quarantine and claim CSU is altering contact tracing reports to keep players practicing.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 04, 2020, 05:23:09 PMWho is still going on cruises?

People with a death wish? Extreme bargain hunters?

Valmy

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 04, 2020, 04:05:30 PM
Quote from: Tamas on August 04, 2020, 02:31:19 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 04, 2020, 02:14:15 PM
Quote from: Tamas on August 04, 2020, 09:08:41 AM
I have a 1-in-1000 chance of dying if I catch it? Damn. That's actually higher than I am comfortable with, if I am honest.
Are you comfortable with a 2-in-1000 chance of dying?  That's what you're living through every year at your age.

Your point being?

You can safely ignore anything that has a risk of death lower than your base death rate.

Except we are not comparing apples and oranges here. That is the cumulative chance of everything killing you over an entire year vs just having Covid for a short time.

My chances of dying riding a motorcycle once are probably a great deal less than 2 in 1000 but I should still wear a helmet.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Quote from: The Larch on August 04, 2020, 05:52:28 PM
QuoteCSU athletes, staff say athletic administration covering up COVID-19 health threat

CSU football players and university athletic department staff say coaches have told players not to report COVID-19 symptoms, threatened players with reduced playing time if they quarantine and claim CSU is altering contact tracing reports to keep players practicing.

Colorado State is a home of dullards and jackasses.  They want to be cool like the University of Colorado, but instead they are insipid, like the University of Colorado.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

Quote from: Zoupa on August 04, 2020, 04:01:53 PM
None, probably.

AR and others are obsessed with the death rate, ignoring the many complications related to getting Covid and recovering from it.

In this case, Tamas pointed out his death risk from covid, and DGuller and I pointed out his overall risk of death. If you want to compare the risk of permanent disability from covid versus the general risk of permanent disability from other causes, we can do that, though the risks related to permanent disability from covid are a bit speculative at this point.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on August 04, 2020, 06:45:27 PM
Except we are not comparing apples and oranges here. That is the cumulative chance of everything killing you over an entire year vs just having Covid for a short time.

My chances of dying riding a motorcycle once are probably a great deal less than 2 in 1000 but I should still wear a helmet.

As you may or may not remember, I climbed the matterhorn a few years ago. I looked it up--something like 6 people a year are killed on average trying to climb that mountain, with 3,000 or so successful summits. The number of deaths have been falling in recent years, and summits increasing, but that aside the risk was probably somewhere around 2 in 1000. I was allowed to do that because we are a free society and people can take risks. FWIW I wore a helmet.

Covid comes along and not only shuts down outdoor pursuits but for a while I was under an order threatening me with up to a year in jail if I got a haircut.

There is a huge difference between taking precautions and shutting down schools for a year and keeping people from going to work.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zoupa

The issue, for the MILLIONTH TIME, is that if you do as you please and climb that rock and fall, you risk your own life.

If you do as you please during a pandemic, you risk others.

This extreme individualism strain in the US is mind-boggling.

Sheilbh

There's a few points there though.

I agree that closing outdoor locations is wrong - especially given people without any access to their own outdoor space (and access to outdoor space is linked to class and race in this country). But if the government decides for whatever reason to shut down businesses and issue a quarantine order, don't they have to enforce that?

Surely the only options are it's purely advisory and relies on good citizenship, like Sweden, or it's an order which relies on the state's coercive power? In England the approach is similar to anti-social behaviour or public drunkenness, so small fines that can then escalate into large fines and you can be jailed if you don't pay. Which I think is a reasonable approach and maybe Georgia went straight for being jailed if you breach any of the orders which seems a little extreme. But ultimately if our governments decide to shut things down, doesn't that need to be enforceable in some way.

The other point is as I say earlier the weird is how different the risk for different sections of society. The focus should be on re-opening schools, but it can't just be done - there is work that's necessary to make schools safer. But children are very low risk, adults are more able to socially distance and the impact on children losing a year in school, a year of social life is huge. But that might mean closing down other points of contact and transmission - here there's talk about it being a choice between pubs and schools, which is not a choice any British politician wants to make. I suppose which sections of society are you willing to re-open when the risk for the elderly is closer to a 10% IFR than less than 1%?
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

There have been several studies that have come out saying Covid causes serious organ damage even to people who don't seem to have serious symptoms. I wouldn't be blase about getting it in any circumstances. Which is part of what makes opening the schools up right now so insane.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 04, 2020, 08:04:00 PM
There's a few points there though.

I agree that closing outdoor locations is wrong - especially given people without any access to their own outdoor space (and access to outdoor space is linked to class and race in this country). But if the government decides for whatever reason to shut down businesses and issue a quarantine order, don't they have to enforce that?

Surely the only options are it's purely advisory and relies on good citizenship, like Sweden, or it's an order which relies on the state's coercive power? In England the approach is similar to anti-social behaviour or public drunkenness, so small fines that can then escalate into large fines and you can be jailed if you don't pay. Which I think is a reasonable approach and maybe Georgia went straight for being jailed if you breach any of the orders which seems a little extreme. But ultimately if our governments decide to shut things down, doesn't that need to be enforceable in some way.

The other point is as I say earlier the weird is how different the risk for different sections of society. The focus should be on re-opening schools, but it can't just be done - there is work that's necessary to make schools safer. But children are very low risk, adults are more able to socially distance and the impact on children losing a year in school, a year of social life is huge. But that might mean closing down other points of contact and transmission - here there's talk about it being a choice between pubs and schools, which is not a choice any British politician wants to make. I suppose which sections of society are you willing to re-open when the risk for the elderly is closer to a 10% IFR than less than 1%?

middle ground - issue an order and count on high rates of compliance because you don't have politicians out front but it is made by a well respected rock star public health official.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2020, 08:42:28 PM
middle ground - issue an order and count on high rates of compliance because you don't have politicians out front but it is made by a well respected rock star public health official.
Oh sure - there is no country that you'd want to live in that can actually enforce these orders if people don't voluntarily comply. There's just not enough police. You'd need the army in the streets to actually enforce them. But they need to have some teeth.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

You need to have just enough rules so that you can enforce them all, and then you have to actually enforce them.  Anything else is just a tragic governance mistake.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 04, 2020, 08:45:12 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 04, 2020, 08:42:28 PM
Oh sure - there is no country that you'd want to live in that can actually enforce these orders if people don't voluntarily comply. There's just not enough police. You'd need the army in the streets to actually enforce them. But they need to have some teeth.

Exactly so.

In a functional democracy there is generally high levels of compliance but I am not so sure how functional some democracies are at the moment.

I would hate to imagine what kind of society would be created if DGuller's theory of how the state should function prevailed.  Just enough rules so you can enforce them all seems like an Ayn Rand wet dream dystopia.