Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 01, 2020, 02:19:19 PM
Interesting. Yeah here from what I've seen the loud stuff has been the Brexit/contrarian right writers. But in terms of actual protests it very much seems to be people who think Bill Gates is behind it/there's a 5G conspiracy.
Yeah, there are Greenish esoteric and anti-vaccine people there as well.

Josquius

Aren't the anti bill Gates folks usually from the right?
The chief local 5g nut certainly is very much a proud of his own ignorance brexity type.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on August 01, 2020, 02:40:47 PM
Aren't the anti bill Gates folks usually from the right?
The chief local 5g nut certainly is very much a proud of his own ignorance brexity type.
Bit of both I think, but in terms of "globalist puppetmasters" I think the crazy left blame Gates and the crazy right blame Soros. And there is definitely a cross over point of the really crazy on both sides.

Obviously it could just be that local crazy reflects local politics so round me (and in most of London) it's the crazy left, in the North-East it's a bit more Brexity.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

The US crazy right is anti-Gates.  Because he wants to kill babies, and talks about science, and seems to care about people in other countries.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

I mean they are also anti-Soros as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Does Soros get any play in the US?  He seems to be mostly an Eastern European thing.

Zoupa

Quote from: Threviel on July 31, 2020, 04:34:52 PM
Endurance, meaning that all limitations ought to be sustainable long term and be acceptable to the people. Sweden is in for the long term and has been from the beginning.

The sheer arrogance :D I think you guys are worse than the french. The numbers are right there.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2020, 12:39:07 AM
Does Soros get any play in the US?  He seems to be mostly an Eastern European thing.

Oh yeah. Though less today than he used to for whatever reason.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on August 02, 2020, 12:43:07 AM
Quote from: Threviel on July 31, 2020, 04:34:52 PM
Endurance, meaning that all limitations ought to be sustainable long term and be acceptable to the people. Sweden is in for the long term and has been from the beginning.

The sheer arrogance :D I think you guys are worse than the french. The numbers are right there.

How do the numbers suggest that Sweden hasn't gone for endurance?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zoupa

The US is gonna be super duper enduring then. So much endurance. You're gonna get sick of all that endurance.

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on August 02, 2020, 03:41:45 AM
The US is gonna be super duper enduring then. So much endurance. You're gonna get sick of all that endurance.

I don't follow.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Erm, yes. I mean he's been a villain on Fox for over a decade - I think that and the other bits of the US far right is where the UK far right heard about him. He used to be a regular thing on Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck - who I think called him a "puppetmaster".

Tucker Carlson's done the whole he "hates the United States" thing. Lauran Ingraham accused him of being behind anti-Kavanaugh protests. Lou Dobbs said he was orchestrating the "caravan" of migrants in 2018 - I think that one was actually picked up by Trump and other Republicans like Matt Gaetz.

On the further right (but still semi-respectable in the US) there's the whole false allegations that he was a Nazi collaborator (this has been re-tweeted by Bibi's son, Yair Netanyahu).
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on August 02, 2020, 12:43:31 AM

Oh yeah. Though less today than he used to for whatever reason.

Eastern Europe picked it up from the US alt-right crowd, was one of the first ready-made narrative they took from there.

I have been wondering when they are going to pick up the pace and switch over to Gates like their American brethren. Of course for Hungary specifically Soros is a far better subject being an old rich Hungarian Jew with a business in finance.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on August 02, 2020, 06:15:50 AM
Eastern Europe picked it up from the US alt-right crowd, was one of the first ready-made narrative they took from there.

I have been wondering when they are going to pick up the pace and switch over to Gates like their American brethren. Of course for Hungary specifically Soros is a far better subject being an old rich Hungarian Jew with a business in finance.
And there's a lot of back-and-forth on this - your average racist poster on 4chan might not know who Duda and Orban are, but a lot of writers on the online right are very, very interested and admirign of them.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

The UK is still having days were it's reporting over 100 deaths, so I don't think we've got it under any real measure of control.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what impact the weakening social distancing has.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"