Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Valmy on July 31, 2020, 11:30:23 PM
I don't see anything but wishful thinking saying this is a good time to go back to school.
Anchorage backtracked and instead of opening schools next month all schools will be online for 1st quarter of year.

Which ends middle of October.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on July 31, 2020, 10:11:13 PM
So what's the over/under on this virus having mutated to become More infectious?

The over/under is yes/no. :mellow:

You do over/unders when there is a scale of possible outcomes.

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on July 31, 2020, 10:46:32 PM
Quote from: merithyn on July 31, 2020, 08:55:57 PM
If you were thinking of sending your kids to school, you might want to rethink that.

WSB Atlanta: Hundreds of Georgia campers infected with coronavirus at YMCA camp in just days, CDC report finds.
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/hundreds-georgia-campers-infected-with-coronavirus-ymca-summer-camp-cdc-report-finds/EL5FFTVSDVETRGROPEXK6CIZNM/

Fortunately locally this has been kicked down the road until mid September. We are on zoom next month.

Tucking idiocy.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Iormlund

Quote from: mongers on July 31, 2020, 10:11:13 PM
So what's the over/under on this virus having mutated to become More infectious?

As far as I know there's no evidence of significant mutation. The simpler explanation for the current rise in infections is rule relaxation.

Syt

Demonstration against masks, restrictions, official narrative etc. in Berlin:

"We are the 2nd Wave"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Have to give it to Germany, even their anti-mask nuts have self-awareness that not every reasonable American possesses.

Zanza

The GDR flag has "Truth! Rule of law! No violence!" written on it.  :lol: That's not particularly reflected.

As they did not follow hygiene rules, police pressed charges against the organizer. The organizer then ended the protest and the crowd dispersed. Not really an unexpected turn of events.

Sheilbh

In the UK the (minor) protests I've seen have very much been from the fringe/conspiracy left. I take it from the GDR flag it's similar in Germany? :lol:

It's interesting though because we've had the right-wing, especially the sort of Brexit-y right wing press fulminating against various lockdown measures to almost no effect. It hasn't impacted public opinion and the right-wing Brexit-y government hasn't really responded to the tantrums and generally seem to be broadly in line with other European countries. It's an interesting contrast with the US (and makes me wonder if we maybe overestimate the importance of the media v political elite/establishment).
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Well, the symbol on the GDR flag is crossed out, so I assume they argue the current German government works with GDR methods.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Or they're cheap and had one left over in the basement.  :P

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 01, 2020, 10:17:34 AM
In the UK the (minor) protests I've seen have very much been from the fringe/conspiracy left. I take it from the GDR flag it's similar in Germany? :lol:
No, the protests are clearly driven by the right wing here. AfD and assorted nutjobs.

Sheilbh

Interesting. Yeah here from what I've seen the loud stuff has been the Brexit/contrarian right writers. But in terms of actual protests it very much seems to be people who think Bill Gates is behind it/there's a 5G conspiracy.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

I haven't seen any protests in Sweden. Not that I've paid much attention, mind you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Over here we had the far right protests at the tail end of the lockdown, but they didn't have much legs. What you have nowadays is the various businesses afected by the new restrictions organizing protests. Right until the courts allowed them to re-open, Barcelona gyms held gym classes in front of the regional government every day (since outdoor exercise was still allowed). Sadly pubs and nightclubs haven't followed suit and organized public drinking binges  :(