Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Announced solely via twitter too. Awful stuff bound to be passed on via Chinese whispers.
Should have been announced properly with a few days notice, for after the holidays.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on July 30, 2020, 06:39:26 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 30, 2020, 04:54:34 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 30, 2020, 10:14:43 AM
Oh man I didn't realize he was a Trump guy...well I guess I am slightly less sad now.

The ~43% of Americans that support Trump are not worthy of full sympathy when they die.

Well that is your opinion, one I do not share.

But grief over what I thought was a responsible statesman is something different than just for any rando.

I would think you would think better of me than to try to warp my words like this. What did I ever do to you?

Low hanging fruit and I hate the world.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 31, 2020, 07:25:14 AM
The timing of the increased restrictions in parts of Northern England is about as bad as it could be for the Muslims. Imagine having Christmas cancelled on Christmas Eve; all your travel and catering plans thrown into deep confusion. Typical Johnson though; ease off the restrictions too early and then have to crackdown again.......pillock.

Well at least they have a month of Iftar dinners. Cancelling Christmas on Christmas Eve, likewise, means we at least had a month of Christmas parties and such.

Besides who knows what kind of crap we will have to deal with come Christmas?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on July 31, 2020, 07:32:43 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2020, 02:57:16 PM
Rep. Louie "I shan't wear a mask" Gohmert has tested positive for Covi-19, thinks it might have come from wearing a mask.

https://twitter.com/CharlieGileNBC/status/1288525505881350144?s=20

Just heard from Seth Meyers' show that apparently Gohmert informed his staff about testing positive in person in a closed office.  :lol:

So yeah, that "dumbest man in Texas" label might be the right one for him.

I don't use that term lightly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on July 31, 2020, 12:23:19 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 31, 2020, 07:25:14 AM
The timing of the increased restrictions in parts of Northern England is about as bad as it could be for the Muslims. Imagine having Christmas cancelled on Christmas Eve; all your travel and catering plans thrown into deep confusion. Typical Johnson though; ease off the restrictions too early and then have to crackdown again.......pillock.

Well at least they have a month of Iftar dinners. Cancelling Christmas on Christmas Eve, likewise, means we at least had a month of Christmas parties and such.

Besides who knows what kind of crap we will have to deal with come Christmas?
This is Eid al-Adha, not Eid al-Fitr (at the end of Ramadan).

Sadly that and all of Ramadan happened at the strictest point in lockdown.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 31, 2020, 12:29:11 PM
This is Eid al-Adha, not Eid al-Fitr (at the end of Ramadan).

Sadly that and all of Ramadan happened at the strictest point in lockdown.

Stupid Muslim Calendar moves those things around every year I can never tell which is going on  :lol:

And I usually go to an Iftar but I didn't this year for obvious reasons.

We did have a lockdown Easter though. That was lame.

Richard Hakluyt

@Valmy - the point I'm making is that the government relaxed too quickly and then had to backtrack. Thinking that you are going to have Eid or Easter or whatever, then having it removed at the last moment is far worse than simply maintaining social distancing and relaxing it only when we are truly in control. The same will also apply to businesses that had planned to reopen on the heavily-trailed easing which has now been postponed.

People took the loss of Easter and Ramadan in their stride, they were prepared for it. If we do need to lockdown for Christmas I hope it will be clear by, say, the 1st of December; if the government cancels Christmas on the 24th blood will flow  :P

DGuller

I just saw the world map of death rates on Wiki.  Man, Sweden really fucked up.

The Brain

We'll see after Covid-19 is done what the death results were, and also what caused them, and also what other effects the virus and efforts to contain it had.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on July 31, 2020, 01:32:16 PM
We'll see after Covid-19 is done what the death results were, and also what caused them, and also what other effects the virus and efforts to contain it had.
I understand that it's hard to take in the truth, but your country has done really, really badly so far.  If you compare Sweden's statistics with the US (excluding continental states) statistics, the difference is stark.  Clearly your country is doing something wrong.

Valmy

Why has the Western Hemisphere done so much worse than the Eastern one? Damn.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on July 31, 2020, 01:47:35 PM
I understand that it's hard to take in the truth, but your country has done really, really badly so far.  If you compare Sweden's statistics with the US (excluding continental states) statistics, the difference is stark.  Clearly your country is doing something wrong.

"So far", exactly, when it comes to deaths, which is one metric (an important one, but there are others as well). And "is" doing something wrong? Maybe, maybe not. Daily deaths have decreased since mid-April and are currently around a handful. I know that you know that looking at a snapshot of accumulated deaths only gives part of the picture, especially when talking about what "is" being done.

The official dashboard from Swedish authorities: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/09f821667ce64bf7be6f9f87457ed9aa

Note: I don't know if there is an English version (I think there should be, but I don't know if there actually is one). Left to right, top to bottom: Confirmed cases, people admitted to ICU, dead.

Threviel

Quote from: DGuller on July 31, 2020, 01:47:35 PM

Yes. 451 is a great deal different than 551. Let's have this discussion again when the US is on a downward trend.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on July 31, 2020, 02:04:29 PM
Why has the Western Hemisphere done so much worse than the Eastern one? Damn.

Not fragrant enough.