Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: DGuller on July 02, 2020, 06:13:45 PM
Hopefully it won't get to the point of having refrigerator trucks out outside of hospitals to store the bodies, like we had in NYC.  I imagine you'd need a lot of fuel to keep these trucks cool in Georgia during the summer.

Nothing is too good for our expendable elderly!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 02, 2020, 04:08:53 PM
The Tyrannical Republican Governor Greg ABBOT has mandated face mask usage in Great state of Texas. This Tyranny wont be forgotten!!!11

I have this weird belief that most politicians, Democrat or Republican, actually care about the welfare of the people they are representing.  Hell, I bet some even care about people they aren't representing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 02, 2020, 04:08:53 PM
The Tyrannical Republican Governor Greg ABBOT has mandated face mask usage in Great state of Texas. This Tyranny wont be forgotten!!!11

He is desperate to keep the economy going so he knows this is necessary to prevent a huge disaster. Fortunately for him he was just re-elected two years ago so maybe people will have forgotten what a TYRANT he is in a couple years :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: fromtia on July 02, 2020, 12:11:22 PM
10,000 new cases in Florida today. Case rate is doubling every 7 days. A patchwork of mitigation efforts by municipalities centered around mask wearing and appeals to social distance. Bars closed. These numbers are quite alarming and I'm wondering how DeSantis is feeling about his victory speech back at the begining of May where he blamed the media for starting a panic and prattled on about freedoms and rights.

There's a potential for lots of dead Floridians by the end of the summer. I sincerely hope hes right, that it's all young people and they wont get very sick and the mortality rate will be low in comparison to previous outbreaks elsewhere.

It is young people now, but those young people all interact with older people.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Because this timeline is weird:

https://nypost.com/2020/07/02/ex-wwe-wrestler-kane-knox-county-mayor-glenn-jacobs-now-anti-mask/

QuoteWWE star Kane, known for mask, votes against mask mandate as mayor

Glenn Jacobs rose to fame as WWE star Kane, the horrifying brother of the Undertaker who wore a mask for much of his career. Now, as the mayor of Knox County in Tennessee, Jacobs doesn't seem as keen on masks.

Jacobs, 53, was the only member of the Knox County Board of Health to vote against a mask mandate for most people inside public buildings, according to the Knoxville News Sentinel. The board, which voted 7-1, features Jacobs, six medical professionals and a representative for Knox County Schools.

The mandate takes effect Friday and will lasts until the board rescinds it, per the report, which says new coronavirus cases and hospitalizations have increased in recent days.

One of the board of health members, who has spent 15 years at the University of Tennessee Medical Center working as a pulmonary and critical care physician, says the mask mandate can help limit hospitalizations.

"Masks impact transmissions, so in three weeks cases have not spiked, so in six weeks hospitalizations have not been affected," Dr. James Shamiyeh told the paper. "There's a natural lag in any conversation that you have around COVID."

Jacobs first appeared as Kane in WWE (then known as the WWF) on Oct. 5, 1997. He still occasionally performs for the company.

(in case you wonder where he stands politically: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kane_(wrestler)#Political_career )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on June 30, 2020, 01:53:09 PM
Speaking of incompetent, I've refreshed my numbers again, and even the good states are now looking poised to not be good.  New York and New Jersey both officially flattened out, much sooner than I thought they would, and poised to re-enter the growth area.  That means that infections right now are a steady trickle, and probably would be ramping up soon.  Pretty much all of the Midwestern already crossed the neutral line, and are now back into exponential growth. 

It used to be a couple of weeks ago that the southern states were bad but the northern states were on an improving trajectory, but now the bad states have become dire and the improving states have or are about to retrench.  This is pretty grim.  :(
Looks like somebody else did the same analysis I did: https://www.pix11.com/news/coronavirus/researches-say-nj-ny-no-longer-on-track-to-contain-virus.  I always like having my analyses validated, but this time I'd rather be wrong.

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2020, 11:51:19 PM
It is young people now, but those young people all interact with older people.
Yeah - and it doesn't mean anything on its own. More positive tests for younger people could reflect higher testing (so it isn't just higher risk communities in hospitals/care homes etc), or maybe young people are being more careless, or maybe old people are taking more care. Or, most likely, all three together.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Zoupa on July 02, 2020, 05:50:36 PM
Don't worry. It's all media panic anyways.

Zoupa, sorry bud, but we are at an all time high in hospitalizations. That is reality.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

mongers

Feels like the calm before the storm here, as we await the Johnson/Cummings freedom weekend and the probably carnage from a select group of English 'tourists'*.

* the ones we usually foist on Southern European counties this time of year.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Monoriu on July 03, 2020, 08:54:47 AM
This is not working.

We have the best numbers.
They go with our best words.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

fromtia

Dr.Osterholm has a youtube channel with frequent updates. It's rather dry, but super good quality information.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI7n04W1HWAPMrI4_41StSg
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Legbiter

We've quarantined about 500 people here since we reopened and started screening all incoming travelers. Unfortunately some test negative on arrival, get sick a week later and in the meantime attend graduation parties and other gatherings requiring a considerable containment effort. General transmission does not seem to be happening though. We're going to require Icelandic residents to self-quarantine for a week at least and then retest them because it's amazing how an average social life quickly mounts to hundreds of people for just a handful of initial infections. The restrictions on mass gatherings and opening hours were supposed to be relaxed even more but they'll remain in place.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Night time curfew in effect in Dade County (Miami).