Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

We are having several outbreaks in the zone around the border between Aragon and Catalonia. It's an agricultural area that employs a lot of immigrant work. Cramped living quarters, and not being able to afford skipping work because of feeling unwell - a bad combo for Covid.

A few municipalities in the area have had new restrictions enforced.

Tamas

I guess the Excel-based throttling of the virus that Britain attempted would indeed be the most practical compromise between lockdown and hospital armageddon. Unfortunately the British experiment has also shown that this won't really work.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on July 02, 2020, 03:11:07 AM
Spain's unemployment rose by 5,000 people in the month of June. It's the worst June since 2008 but at the same time it's not terrible given how tourism was completely shut down. 1.1 million employees were also taken off furlough schemes (1.8m remain).
5,000 sounds really good. Well within the realm of normal fluctuations for a country so large.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on July 02, 2020, 04:54:57 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 02, 2020, 03:11:07 AM
Spain's unemployment rose by 5,000 people in the month of June. It's the worst June since 2008 but at the same time it's not terrible given how tourism was completely shut down. 1.1 million employees were also taken off furlough schemes (1.8m remain).
5,000 sounds really good. Well within the realm of normal fluctuations for a country so large.

Yeah, it's a low raise, but june is a month when employment usually falls over here, because it's the beginning of the summer season and lots of hirings take place.

celedhring

The key here is how many of the people on furlough end up becoming unemployed. That figure of 1.1m being brought back is encouraging, but there's still 1.8m out there, and the summer season is going to be dire.

alfred russel

Quote from: alfred russel on June 30, 2020, 04:41:25 PM

Georgia just published its hospitalization numbers, and they are up over 7% from the day before.

Basically the all time high was 1,500, we fell to about half that, and now we are skyrocketing back up--will probably set an all time high tomorrow--today was 1,459. Hoping those admission standards are really lax these days...

And yesterday hospitalizations were up 8% from the day before. We sailed through the all time high and are at 1,570.

To the stratosphere!

The governor is warning us that if we don't get our act together we may lose college football this year.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

As I say, I don't know what the UK trigger is for local lockdowns, but the German one is 50 cases per 100,000.

The New Statesman have done interesting, interactive maps of the UK, Germany, France and the US on infections per 100,000 in local areas:
https://www.newstatesman.com/world/2020/07/maps-show-just-how-disastrous-uss-coronavirus-outbreak
Let's bomb Russia!

fromtia

10,000 new cases in Florida today. Case rate is doubling every 7 days. A patchwork of mitigation efforts by municipalities centered around mask wearing and appeals to social distance. Bars closed. These numbers are quite alarming and I'm wondering how DeSantis is feeling about his victory speech back at the begining of May where he blamed the media for starting a panic and prattled on about freedoms and rights.

There's a potential for lots of dead Floridians by the end of the summer. I sincerely hope hes right, that it's all young people and they wont get very sick and the mortality rate will be low in comparison to previous outbreaks elsewhere.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

PDH

Good thing there isn't a lot of old folks in Florida.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

FunkMonk

The Tyrannical Republican Governor Greg ABBOT has mandated face mask usage in Great state of Texas. This Tyranny wont be forgotten!!!11
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

alfred russel

Quote from: alfred russel on July 02, 2020, 07:43:52 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 30, 2020, 04:41:25 PM

Georgia just published its hospitalization numbers, and they are up over 7% from the day before.

Basically the all time high was 1,500, we fell to about half that, and now we are skyrocketing back up--will probably set an all time high tomorrow--today was 1,459. Hoping those admission standards are really lax these days...

And yesterday hospitalizations were up 8% from the day before. We sailed through the all time high and are at 1,570.

To the stratosphere!

The governor is warning us that if we don't get our act together we may lose college football this year.

Up another 5% to 1,649. Every day a new record. 4th of July fireworks may be extra special this year with our healthcare system simultaneously exploding.

In all seriousness, we still have excess capacity. We should be okay on the 4th.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PDH

It's two weeks from now that might be a bit less fun.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Zoupa

Don't worry. It's all media panic anyways.

DGuller

Hopefully it won't get to the point of having refrigerator trucks out outside of hospitals to store the bodies, like we had in NYC.  I imagine you'd need a lot of fuel to keep these trucks cool in Georgia during the summer.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: DGuller on July 02, 2020, 06:13:45 PM
Hopefully it won't get to the point of having refrigerator trucks out outside of hospitals to store the bodies, like we had in NYC.  I imagine you'd need a lot of fuel to keep these trucks cool in Georgia during the summer.

That's what gators are for.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help