Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I bet Walter would sack Jeff Dunham if he could.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Threviel

Quote from: The Brain on May 24, 2020, 08:36:35 AM
Quote from: Threviel on May 24, 2020, 04:59:46 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 24, 2020, 02:57:19 AM
Quote from: Threviel on May 24, 2020, 02:25:33 AM
Swedish Department of social services has done some calculations. Apparently about 11,000 have died so far this year of all causes, compare to about 10,000 a normal year. They compared it to just a bit worse than a normal flu season.

Both those numbers are too low if we are talking about Jan-May 2020; they must be using a shorter timespan.

I can't seem to find the article again, I read it a few days ago. IIRC the numbers don't square with my calculations a while back.

Maybe this? Forum can't handle "ö" in the link but you'll manage. https://www.msn.com/sv-se/nyheter/coronavirus/liknande-dödstal-på-äldreboenden-varje-år/ar-BB14uAvD?ocid=spartanntp

It's about the number of dead in Sweden at care homes for olds. 10,000 at this point of a normal year, 11,000 so far this year, not extremely different from normal flu season. Their point is that the situation at care homes in Sweden isn't apocalyptic.

Thanks. Apparently I misremembered an article I hadn't fully grasped.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on May 24, 2020, 11:44:41 AM
Sure but here was a pretty open and shut case. And he chose his advisor over the health of the populace.
Sure, but I mean Campbell was accused of massaging intelligence so we could join the Iraq war and Blair tried to keep hold of him. Coulson hacked a murdered girl's voicemail for a scoop. I don't think there's anything special about Cummings or Johnson on this. My suspicion is they basically don't think it matters and that no-one outside of Westminster cares. I think they've misjudged that pretty severely.

What will do for Cummings in the end is if Johnson calculates that he's causing more damage than he's worth, or he's forced to fire him (i.e. if cabinet ministers or MPs basically say it's him or us). Campbell, Coulson and McBride were in the former category, Hill and Timothy are in the latter. I'm not sure which it'll be with this, but I think the damage will be pretty clear pretty quickly and I think a lot of the cabinet will be fuming that they basically torched their credibility when there were more shoes to drop.

And it won't end. Johnson wasn't answering a lot of those questions, including when he knew.
Let's bomb Russia!

fromtia

Splendid knifing by the Mirror. Couldn't be happier. He might survive though.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

This is really weird. He could just ask Cummings to resign, then give him some BS job to keep paying him and could still consult him.

Only possible explanation is that Cummings doesn't want to go, and he, not Johnson, makes the final decision on this.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: fromtia on May 24, 2020, 12:08:05 PM

The longer he survives the more the government will be held in deserved contempt. I'm very pleased that Johnson has backed him.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on May 24, 2020, 12:32:43 PM
This is really weird. He could just ask Cummings to resign, then give him some BS job to keep paying him and could still consult him.

Only possible explanation is that Cummings doesn't want to go, and he, not Johnson, makes the final decision on this.
As I say I think they think this is a Westminster bubble/left-wing/social media furore, like so many others we had in the run-up to and during the election - I suspect they're wrong, but I think that's what they think. Also I think there is a strand on the right and especially in government that apologising for anything is weakness. It's too late for apologies now. I suspect they'll see polling this week that shows it hurting Johnson, there will be a distinct lack of enthusiasm among the cabinet to do media appearances and there'll be more questions. All of which will lead to him going.

Edit:
Yeah it is a cracking tabloid drip-drip. Very pleased for the Mirror after they were getting frozen out by Number 10 too :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 24, 2020, 11:10:08 AM
Top comment in the Daily Mail : expecting Johnson to sack Cummings is like expecting Emu to sack Rod Hull  :P

A pity only me and mongers will get it  :(

While he was past his glory days, I have strong memories of Emu as well. :P
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on May 24, 2020, 03:08:47 PM
Cummings is not popular with the neighbours right now (video):

https://twitter.com/ladyhaja/status/1264641858585714689?s=20
:lol:

My mum is furious and she's normally a useful barometer. I'm also seeing a lot of Tories online who are absolutely spitting tacks about it, not MPs either. I'm seeing just Tory supporters and councillors as well as MPs getting very angry.

It's really not a bubble story.

However, in the bubble I'm really enjoying seeing all the hard Brexiteers who Cummings has held in contempt for years really enjoying their moment. Eg Steve Baker - "he needs to go before he causes any more harm" - I can't imagine anything more likely to make Cummings want to stay :lol:

Edit: Actually Steve Baker was the first Tory MP to go beyond "this is bad" to "he should go". The Tories really do love their beef.

Edit: And the Mail has turned - again, not a bubble/London-centric paper:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Missouri got three national stories about reckless disregard of virus safety!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Gups

Cummings will be gone within 48 hours. What's in question is whether Boris can survive.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 24, 2020, 11:10:08 AM
Top comment in the Daily Mail : expecting Johnson to sack Cummings is like expecting Emu to sack Rod Hull  :P

A pity only me and mongers will get it  :(

:lol:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"