Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

We'll be entering post-lockdown Phase 2 over here on monday, which will further ease restrictive measures. Social gatherings can go up to 15 people, no time restrictions for people going for walks or for sport, except for people in at risk groups, bars and restaurants will be able to operate indoors, albeit at a reduced capacity, as well as shopping malls, cinemas, theaters, etc, cultural events up to 50 attendants will be allowed to be hosted, as long as distances are still mantained, sporting events will be allowed without an audience, weddings up to 100 guests outdoors or 50 indoors will be allowed as well, some sporting facitilies and gyms will be allowed to open with limitations, and so on.

Here's the map of the situation in the whole country:

Madrid and Barcelona finally pass to Phase 1 as well. Let's see how it affects the political climate.

celedhring

Yup, finally moving to phase 1! Can't wait to see my family in the flesh.

I'm trying to restart my boardgaming group, but one of my friends wants to wait to a bit (his mother already had a bout with pneumonia years ago, and barely made it), so for now we'll stick to tabletopia.

Iormlund

The colleague at my department that was self-isolating has now tested positive both for antibodies and virus. Deafening silence from the company. I've spoken with three people that worked very closely with him and neither have been warned about a possible contact with someone sick. They only know because he told them.

I haven't interacted that much with him, and when I did we were following the guidelines (mask and shield below 2 meters). So I'm not that worried personally. But I'm concerned that none of his closest colleagues was sent home.

Sheilbh

Also shouldn't public health be involved? Contact tracers etc?
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 05, 2020, 07:33:56 AM
Mutation has been detected that causes the virus to spread more quickly. It also directly affects the mechanism which vaccines in development are aiming to disrupt, so this likely delays that effort. 

Long and interesting article at the LA times.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-05/mutant-coronavirus-has-emerged-more-contagious-than-original

Tim, seriously, you are an amplifier for the media panic machine; an alarmist of the highest order. That article was based on a non peer reviewed study. Here is another non peer reviewed study that evaluated claims of more transmissable strains through evaluation of more than 15,000 covid-19 genomes from around the world, and found no evidence for this.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.21.108506v1

The answer is: we don't know.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 05, 2020, 07:53:00 AM
Quote from: Maladict on May 05, 2020, 07:52:03 AM
First case in France traced back to December 27th. Maybe there's more to this nasty flu going around in January/February after all.
Would be the original strain, not the new one that's become dominant

How are you sure?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 22, 2020, 09:37:41 AM
Also shouldn't public health be involved? Contact tracers etc?

They are involved. At least 3 relatives have tested positive in the last month. His is the last (and he's asymptomatic). Maybe they don't consider the workplace a big enough risk.

Sheilbh

Yeah and maybe it's less risky because everyone's social distancing or wearing masks. But it feels a little surprising. Interesting anyway.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

In latest British figures breaking their own rules, Dominic Cummings and his family were questioned by the police about breaking lockdown rules. From what I understand both him and his wife were positive for covid and had symptoms, they also have young children. He drove the kids up to Durham where his parents live and the parents looked after the kids for a fortnight. Cummings, from what I understand stayed with them, but I think they've got a big farm.

Apparently the police turned up and spoke with him and his parents.

It's interesting. I have a degree of sympathy - I don't know what parents are supposed to do for childcare if they don't just get covid but get symptoms - and travel for childcare is different than, say, shagging your married lover or just visiting your holiday home. But this is still definitely breaking the rules. Also it's kind of extraordinary given his position that, from what I've read, he basically ran out of work (literally), got diagnosed, went to Durham for two weeks and didn't really tell anyone.

Number 10 "sources" are out defending him tonight and saying he's going nowhere. I don't think there's anyway that's sustainable. Particularly because he's not popular with many people in the Tory party (whatever Remainers are left and traditional Leavers hate him - and apparently Tory MPs are already, anonymously, denouncing him) so I imagine there'll be very few senior Tories or ministers particularly willing to go out and defend him to the press. Similarly it's very easy to see how this immediately gets to Johnson, "did you know? What did you know? When did you know?" As importantly it strikes me as something that will very easily cut through.

I may be totally wrong, but I'd be surprised if he survives the long weekend.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

I've never been able to get really cross with Cummings ever since i learned that he used to be a bouncer at Klute, the famously crap night club in Durham City.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/26/dominic-cummings-was-doorman-at-europes-worst-nightclub

Many is the time I failed to get off with a bishop's daughter in Klute's back in the halcyon days of my youth.

Have you ever been there Tyr? Give yourself a treat and visit before its inevitable closure.

Of course there is no way that the silly bugger should be anywhere near the levers of government.

katmai

Welp the Alaska State fair cancelled today. First time since 1942 no fair. My august calendar is wide open.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

merithyn

Quote from: katmai on May 22, 2020, 09:13:41 PM
Welp the Alaska State fair cancelled today. First time since 1942 no fair. My august calendar is wide open.

Can I come visit then? :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

katmai

Quote from: merithyn on May 22, 2020, 11:38:24 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 22, 2020, 09:13:41 PM

Can I come visit then? :)
14 day Self isolation  quarantine is still in effect. So be pretty boring trip.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I just last night learned Dominic Cummings is from Durham and hate that traitorous slime ball even more.

Have to say I've never been out in Durham for more than an after college underage drink. My social life always tended more Newcastlewards. These days I'm comfortable enough in myself to admit night clubs are shit and I have no interest.
██████
██████
██████