Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

@mongers - I would suggest that you use the countryside on your doorstep but carry proof of your address on you.

celedhring

Right the Spanish commemoration schedule is like this:

18h: clap for children
20h: clap for health care professionals
21h: put a candle in your window for the killed by the virus

It's getting out of hand...

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on March 29, 2020, 03:30:38 AM
Right the Spanish commemoration schedule is like this:

18h: clap for children
20h: clap for health care professionals
21h: put a candle in your window for the killed by the virus

It's getting out of hand...

If you like children clap your hand... CLAP CLAP
If you support healtchare workers clap your hand... CLAP CLAP
If you grieve for the dead put a candle, turn around and clap your hand CLAP CLAP

Zanza

There are multiple articles in German newspapers about hospital workers being pissed off by those gestures of appreciation as they don't feel respected in normal times and don't believe in any improvement of their situation post-crisis.

Josquius

Aye, there's a lot of that in the UK.
Particularly galling since so much of it comes from the sort of smooth brained patriot who votes tory.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on March 29, 2020, 03:45:20 AM
There are multiple articles in German newspapers about hospital workers being pissed off by those gestures of appreciation as they don't feel respected in normal times and don't believe in any improvement of their situation post-crisis.

Respected as in personally or monetarily? Over here there's lots of complains about all the health care cuts that are now biting us in the arse, but I was under the impression that German health care was very well funded.

celedhring

+838 dead (+15%). Number of new dead remains flat from yesterday, which is "good news". Also a small (+332, 7%) increase in people admitted into ICU beds.

Hopefully it's true that this thing is plateauing, but Italy has a week in quarantine over us and it's still on a linear scale.

Razgovory

Are we under counting deaths from this?  There were two obituaries in my town that said the deceased had corona virus.  The state, however, claims no such deaths in my county.  The number of deaths in Missouri from that John Hopkins site does not match up with the number of people the state claims to have died.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

209 mortalities which is a 20% increase and lower than yesterday.  (EDIT: Sorry got number wrong but rate right)

But, I worry, it's just a blip at this point because I really don't think we're near the flattening the curve/peaking point :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

The discrepancy between JHU, county, state, federal etc. numbers comes from the time lag of lower level authorities reporting immediately in their own outlets, but higher ranking authorities needing time to aggregate the figures. At least that's the explanation in Germany which would also fit the US. Furthermore our reports to the federal public health institute need to be more detailed than just numbers (a detailed case history for each patient), so that also takes more time to just enter that data than the plain death count.

How many people die in a big population is tracked very well by statisticians, so they will be able to tell us after the fact how many excess deaths there were in a given population. 

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2020, 08:08:11 AM
129 mortalities which is a 20% increase and lower than yesterday.

But, I worry, it's just a blip at this point because I really don't think we're near the flattening the curve/peaking point :(

Sadly I think social distancing has a way to go in this country to be really effective, both with individuals acting more responsibly and the restrictions needing to be tightened.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Anyone know if Italy is showing any signs of flattening?

I've heard a couple reports of "early signs of possible inflection points" in the US.

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on March 29, 2020, 08:12:08 AM
Sadly I think social distancing has a way to go in this country to be really effective, both with individuals acting more responsibly and the restrictions needing to be tightened.  :(
I'd push back on the irresponsibility point a bit - I can't think of any stories about people acting irresponsibly since the rules came in on Monday night. From everything I see and hear people are following the rules. This week hasn't been like last week when we were given advice and people weren't responsible.

But I agree generally. As I mentioned my researcher friend was saying this would be at least 3 months which sounds plausible - and I think it's might well be longer (save for a miracle like those Oxford epidemiologists being right or the fast-track style vaccine gets developed).
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2020, 08:12:46 AM
Anyone know if Italy is showing any signs of flattening?

I've heard a couple reports of "early signs of possible inflection points" in the US.

Nope, Fate or Shelf seem good sources for those nifty graphs.

Isn't it too soon to tell for the US and UK?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Fate

Quote from: Razgovory on March 29, 2020, 07:59:22 AM
Are we under counting deaths from this?  There were two obituaries in my town that said the deceased had corona virus.  The state, however, claims no such deaths in my county.  The number of deaths in Missouri from that John Hopkins site does not match up with the number of people the state claims to have died.

Almost certainly.

A few months from now you're going to get stories about nursing homes where 75% of the patients died and only a handful had positive tests.