Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Maybe the photo was cropped and there is a horde of savage tit watchers right next to her.  :ph34r:

I don't like her insolent manner either.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2020, 06:14:24 PM
Maybe the photo was cropped and there is a horde of savage tit watchers right next to her.  :ph34r:

:lol:

Yeah those tit watchers are savages.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Legbiter on March 28, 2020, 06:02:19 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 28, 2020, 04:58:34 PM
Went to the grocery store today.
TP shelves were positively overflowing.
Chicken, which had been bare a few days ago, was stocked.
Flour - the normal shelves were looking sparse.  No all purpose, just a few oddball flours.  BUT a couple rows over were whole pallets of all purpose flour.
Hot dogs were oddly sparse.
Only thing consistently out of stock has been disinfecting wipes.
Yeast?

Barrister forgot the yeast yet again?
:headslap:

Sheilbh

Got to tug your forelock to officers of the law.

I have no idea where that photos from, or when. But I would not she does not look desperate for either food or medicine <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 28, 2020, 06:22:22 PM

That's more optional I would say.  Bare minimum is to look at them when they address you.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 28, 2020, 06:22:22 PM

I have no idea where that photos from, or when. But I would not she does not look desperate for either food or medicine <_<

If she was indeed in some remote area on foot like she seems to én, then she had to get there somehow, meaning totally unnecessary travelling and virus-spreading. Based on that, she deserved a telling off.

Tamas

In general I think this is a terrible time to "fight the power" especially for mundane entitled silly shit like custom-selecting the exact spot of nature you do your daily walk in.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on March 28, 2020, 06:32:01 PM
In general I think this is a terrible time to "fight the power" especially for mundane entitled silly shit like custom-selecting the exact spot of nature you do your daily walk in.

I can't help but feel that the real issue is the police telling off the sort of people that the police should no better than to tell off.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

I mean my post about the woman was mainly meant as a joke :P

But my wider point is this is what the police do all the time - they're given a law to enforce and instead they enforce a stricter law they'd like to have. So the law says we stay in our hourse unless we've a reasonable excuse, which could include essential shopping for food and medicine not that you need to be desperate for food and medicine before you're allowed to leave the house, despite what Devon police might say. Another reasonable excuse is to go for exercise (not "essential" exercise) - there's no limit on where you can go, and maybe that's needed but that's not the law the police have, so it isn't what they should be enforcing. I absolutely get that you might think that exercise should be restricted to an essential trip, close to your house (I wouldn't necessarily disagree - it's been necessary in France and Italy) - but they need to make that the law first.

And given the number of people who have said they feel they're being made to work in unsafe work conditions where they can't stay 2m apart or they're doing stuff that could be done at home, I feel that's possibly the biggest bit of risk of further transmission.

I get the point about this not being the time, but they have exceptional powers right now and I think they need to be held to a standard to use it in a way that's proportionate - despite everyone in the country being a curtain-twitching informer on their neighbours.

QuoteI can't help but feel that the real issue is the police telling off the sort of people that the police should no better than to tell off.
That's part of it, especially with, for example, former conservative Justice Secretaries complaining about this. But there's also plenty of human rights campaigners and others complaining about the over-reach.

But even so that might get other people to care, because the point is this isn't something new, this is how the police always behave with all powers (it's also why I'm suspicious of "emergency" snooping powers on telecoms data for example - because exceptional emergency powers rarely stay that way). You can't give them an inch, unless they're on a very tight leash - and the exercise of their powers won't be evenly distributed.

Edit: And as I say I've no idea where or when that photo came from. It's mainly doing the rounds on social media with captions of the police car mansplaining something.

Edit: Also something I would like to see the police really take action against is this sort of stuff from a Guardian story:
QuotePolice signalled they would take robust action against acts of deliberate coughing over elderly or vulnerable people, as officers said they had been made aware of several such allegations.
<_< :ultra:
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

The requirements in the UK are more stringent than those here, so far. It seems in UK you aren't supposed to go out except for food or medicine, etc.

Here in Canada at least, you are still allowed to walk in parks etc., just not to use things like playground equipment.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 28, 2020, 06:56:23 PM
But there's also plenty of human rights campaigners and others complaining about the over-reach.

Here's another shocker.

Josephus

Ontario has banned gatherings of more than 5 people.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Tamas

What is the overreach here exactly? Have we seen a single case where people could not have had their daily exercise closer to home when they were warned by the police? A single case where they seem to have applied a too harsh fine?