Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Chloroquine has never been proven effective against any coronavirii. I don't see how Covid-19 would be any different.

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on March 26, 2020, 03:11:32 PM
The US now has about 80k cases, same as Italy and China. They are ramping up to 100.000 tests/day. When you consider the sheer power of the US to conduct more tests in the first real week of testing than South Korea did since the first outbreak, the question why they only started now becomes even harder to answer..

FDA approval.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on March 26, 2020, 03:15:05 PM
Chloroquine has never been proven effective against any coronavirii. I don't see how Covid-19 would be any different.

Chloroquine is an anti-malarial - it helps kill the parasite responsible.  Why would anyone think it would be effective against a virus?

Heck - I see one of the side effects is it an immune suppressant (so useful against autoimmune disorders).  But again what makes anyone think this is effective against a virus?

Most people get better from this virus.  I'm sure anecdotally healing crystals will look impressive too.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

The reason you die from Covid-19 is a cytokine storm in your lungs, which is a kind of autoimmune reaction. Maybe that's why people think it may help?

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on March 26, 2020, 03:15:41 PM
The US now has about 80k cases, same as Italy and China. They are ramping up to 100.000 tests/day. When you consider the sheer power of the US to conduct more tests in the first real week of testing than South Korea did since the first outbreak, the question why they only started now becomes even harder to answer..

FDA approval.
Regulation and licensing is something the executive can influence and accelerate...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2020, 03:16:45 PM
I was not.

What a shocker.

According to Joe Rogan, the couple that self medicated and died took a version of chloroquine that's used in carp ponds.

Legbiter

QuoteA group of birdwatchers gathered to spot rare species were dispersed by police on Wednesday, after defying the government's order to stay at home unless your outing is essential.

15 twitchers from across England – with at least one of them being from Swindon – congregated at the popular nature spot in Gloucestershire after sightings of a Ring Ouzel were reported.

https://www.wiltshire999s.co.uk/police-disperse-group-of-birdwatchers-gathered-at-at-nature-spot/

Modern police state UK-style.  :lol:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on March 26, 2020, 03:22:52 PM
The reason you die from Covid-19 is a cytokine storm in your lungs, which is a kind of autoimmune reaction. Maybe that's why people think it may help?

Googled cytokine storm, found this:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30628-0/fulltext

In part says immune suppression is normally a bad idea from our experience with SARS and MERS, but might be something to look at when a patient is actually in a cytokine storm.  Patients would have to be screened before being approved for this kind of therapy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Zanza on March 26, 2020, 03:25:32 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 26, 2020, 03:15:41 PM

FDA approval.
Regulation and licensing is something the executive can influence and accelerate...

You answered your own question.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on March 26, 2020, 03:10:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2020, 02:13:33 PM
Trump wants to send troops to the Canadian border. :rolleyes:

Forget the fact there's no reason for troops there, you shouldn't be ordering anyone to move anywhere!  Shelter in place!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-trump-border-coronavirus-1.5510853
Yeah, I guess he read his map inverted.  I seem to recall people illegally crossing the border from the US to Canada, not the opposite.  But hey, got to keep those pesky Canadians were they belong! :P

If it keeps Americans from entering Canada during the next four months or so, I am all for it.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on March 26, 2020, 02:54:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2020, 02:42:00 PM
Just spoke with my assistant, who has been home the last week and a half.  I thought it was childcare related.

But no, she has a cough and shortness of breath.  But no fever, so won't be tested.  Just told to stay at home.

Tell her to call back daily. The criteria change very, very often. Here it's 1 clinical symptom and 1 contact event.
I believe the government has announced extended testing this week.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 26, 2020, 02:53:27 PM
When the dust settles, the survivors should remember that we had ample advance warning but Johnson and Cummings decided to roll the dice instead of preparing.
Genuinely I think Johnson's handled it well and all the decisions make sense in the context of the advice he's received (that's been published) - and I still don't like him.

So they were successful in getting people to clap and cheer for the NHS at 8pm.
I went out and clapped. I found it quite emotional - as I say I live near a big hospital so I think there may be more connected people round here, but you could hear it from all round and on my block there were people who'd brought out their pans, there were some ululation going and a few people just shouting "up the NHS".

Although I really like the, I assume, lads who bought fireworks to celebrate the NHS I'm not sure this was the right moment :lol:

I don't think Trump orders bad outcomes but I genuinely think there's a bit of a working towards the leader style thing going on in the US: so if he downplays the illness on Fox and Friends and Twitter, you don't want to be raising it.

Plus as someone who has read literally anything about the HIV/AIDS epidemic it is not a surprise to find out that the CDC etc aren't necessarily the best if the leadership doesn't care/isn't focused on a disease.

I think there has been an effect in cases, no? I mean it's one of the drugs the UK has placed export restrictions on because of potential effectiveness. Like it's being studied in trials but Trump is really pushing it and it's selling out in places because of that madness.

QuoteModern police state UK-style.  :lol:
Again - 10 cars and 15 people. Unless they're all close to each other this isn't prohibited and the police need to get back in their box :ultra:

I mean it: the police cannot be given an inch.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 26, 2020, 04:50:45 PM
Again - 10 cars and 15 people. Unless they're all close to each other this isn't prohibited and the police need to get back in their box :ultra:

The police should be given a mile.

It would be ridiculous to post an officer next to the group and have him wait for one of the bird watchers to come within 10 feet of another.  He has much more important things to worry about.

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 26, 2020, 04:50:45 PMAgain - 10 cars and 15 people. Unless they're all close to each other this isn't prohibited and the police need to get back in their box :ultra:

Oh I agree, there's just something very funny and British, about the police having to deal with unruly bird watchers.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.