Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

A prepper friend of mine had been showing an awful lot of restraint, but finally gave in and did not only a victory lap on FB, but donuts in the infield to boot :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Trump wants to send troops to the Canadian border. :rolleyes:

Forget the fact there's no reason for troops there, you shouldn't be ordering anyone to move anywhere!  Shelter in place!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-trump-border-coronavirus-1.5510853
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

He's got a limited repertoire of ways he can show power. Move troops. Fire people. Insult them. Spend money. The end.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Camerus

Sounds like a classic Trump feint to generate controversy and distraction.

Good thing he doesn't have anything more important to focus on at the moment.

Barrister

Just spoke with my assistant, who has been home the last week and a half.  I thought it was childcare related.

But no, she has a cough and shortness of breath.  But no fever, so won't be tested.  Just told to stay at home.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 26, 2020, 01:21:46 PM
UK is changing way data is released on deaths - but up 115 between 9 and 5 yesterday, which sounds really bad :(

It feels like that rapid increase in the curve stage is definitely here.

Edit: Might be getting tested in a few different ways :ph34r: - researcher friend needs volunteers.

Spain, here we come!

When the dust settles, the survivors should remember that we had ample advance warning but Johnson and Cummings decided to roll the dice instead of preparing.

Zoupa

Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2020, 02:42:00 PM
Just spoke with my assistant, who has been home the last week and a half.  I thought it was childcare related.

But no, she has a cough and shortness of breath.  But no fever, so won't be tested.  Just told to stay at home.

Tell her to call back daily. The criteria change very, very often. Here it's 1 clinical symptom and 1 contact event.

garbon

So they were successful in getting people to clap and cheer for the NHS at 8pm.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2020, 03:01:35 PM
So they were successful in getting people to clap and cheer for the NHS at 8pm.

Yeah at our street as well.

Admiral Yi

You two damn cynics better be clapping too.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on March 26, 2020, 02:54:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2020, 02:42:00 PM

Tell her to call back daily. The criteria change very, very often. Here it's 1 clinical symptom and 1 contact event.

Criteria here changed in the opposite direction.  If symptoms aren't severe you're just told to self-isolate.  Most testing to be in and around the health care system (which is why I thought you got tested).  I believe the thinking is that it doesn't really help us very much to know that one legal assistant does or does not have the virus as long as her symptoms are manageable and she self-isolates, but knowing if a doctor is infected or not is very helpful.

She said she's been to the doctor twice, but no test ordered.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2020, 02:13:33 PM
Trump wants to send troops to the Canadian border. :rolleyes:

Forget the fact there's no reason for troops there, you shouldn't be ordering anyone to move anywhere!  Shelter in place!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-trump-border-coronavirus-1.5510853
Yeah, I guess he read his map inverted.  I seem to recall people illegally crossing the border from the US to Canada, not the opposite.  But hey, got to keep those pesky Canadians were they belong! :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zanza

The US now has about 80k cases, same as Italy and China. They are ramping up to 100.000 tests/day. When you consider the sheer power of the US to conduct more tests in the first real week of testing than South Korea did since the first outbreak, the question why they only started now becomes even harder to answer.. 

viper37

We've talked a bit about hydroxychloroquine.  Didier Raoult has promoted it as THE cure, and declared game over against covid-19.

However, here is a chinese study, with random testing that shows no difference, in fact, people with chloroquine were a little worst, between that and standard care:
https://www.newsweek.com/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-conventional-care-study-1494176

Apparently, a NY doctor has had great results with hydroxychloroquine + zinc + antibiotic.

I guess we need way more testing before declaring to the world "game over".
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas