Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Outbreak has exploded here in Korea because of a creepy cult in Daegu. Daegu could seriously become the next Wuhan at the rate things are spiraling out of control here.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

I think a 'break out' has begun, there's now the big cluster in Korea, deaths in Iran with their health department saying it could be in "all Iranian cities" and now a sizeable cluster in northern Italy with one death reported.

Plus we have the experiment of the 3,000 + passengers and crew of the diamond princess now dispersed across the world, including to some counties with less thorough health regimes.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Case number in S. Korea has increased 10 fold in 4 days.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Legbiter

Yeah the Chinese are saying now that it's airborne as well and not just droplet infection. That means the virus can linger and spread room from room for instance almost like the measles. We might be in the beginning stages of a global pandemic. The rest of China is 2 weeks behind Hubei, the rest of the world maybe 2 months. It might be a good idea to stock up on basics just so if there's a local outbreak in your area you can sit tight for 2 weeks, say, and won't have to fight over the last can of beans at your local store if there's panic buying, etc. Mono recommended toilet paper.  :lol:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Legbiter

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 21, 2020, 09:42:46 PM
31 cases to 346 in four days in Korea

Tip of the iceberg. It's going to be contained by local community action and individually pruning your social interactions. Wash your hands a lot, no handshakes, etc.

When the Spanish Flu came here to Reykjavík in 1918 15.000 people lived here, 10.000 got sick with it and about 250 died. The first case was in the middle of October, it was gone in the first week of December. Quarantine measures kept it out of North and East Iceland.

mongers

Quote from: Legbiter on February 21, 2020, 09:51:33 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 21, 2020, 09:42:46 PM
31 cases to 346 in four days in Korea

Tip of the iceberg. It's going to be contained by local community action and individually pruning your social interactions. Wash your hands a lot, no handshakes, etc.

When the Spanish Flu came here to Reykjavík in 1918 15.000 people lived here, 10.000 got sick with it and about 250 died. The first case was in the middle of October, it was gone in the first week of December. Quarantine measures kept it out of North and East Iceland.

Leggy, all good measures, but can 'modern' people do that?

Also, more evidence that some people can transmit it asymptomatically

A 20-year-old Chinese woman from Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, traveled 400 miles(675 km) north to Anyang where she infected five relatives, without ever showing signs of infection, Chinese scientists reported on Friday, offering new evidence that the virus can be spread asymptomatically.

http://feeds.reuters.com/~r/Reuters/worldNews/~3/TwT8wSETlQo/wuhan-woman-with-no-symptoms-infects-five-relatives-with-coronavirus-study-idUSKBN20G00J
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

It's easy to stock up now but it might be difficult to do when everyone all at once tries to. Nothing insane prep-wise, just basic staples, something you can live on for a couple of weeks just so you don't have to mingle with a lot of potentially infected people if there's a temporary panic. If they ban public gatherings, close schools here in Reykjavík I'm going to take the family to the summer cottage. If it turns into the Stand, I'm going via snowscooters to grandfather's mountain cabin.  :lol:

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

With the new cases sprouting in Italy it's probably going to be all over Europe soon.

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Iormlund

Apparently the virus now spreading from Iran. One case in Canada and another in Lebanon.

Legbiter

Quote from: Iormlund on February 22, 2020, 11:45:27 AM
Apparently the virus now spreading from Iran. One case in Canada and another in Lebanon.

Chinese construction workers in Qom.

I wonder what's happening in the African countries being colonized by the Chinese through the Belt & Road Initiative. But since they probably lack test kits and trained personnel we won't know for a while.