Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

We'll know in 2-4 weeks time whether this is a global pandemic like the Spanish Flu or if it's contained in China.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on February 13, 2020, 06:59:47 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 13, 2020, 04:46:16 AM
The first London case was finally confirmed yesterday. And if there's one in such a crowded city, there must be hundreds already, who will in turn each infect hundreds etc.

I am genuinely considering not flying back to my family in Hungary during Easter, as is my custom. With a 98 years old grandmother and a 1.5 years old niece, I don't want to be the one bringing this shit home.

That sounds quite paranoidy, tbh. Would you fly and visit your family if you had regular flu? And who knows what the situation will be come easter.

No chance I would leave my bed if I actually had influenza.  I think part of the misunderstanding is when people feel shitty they call their symptoms the flu.  But it isn't. The flu is much worse.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Legbiter on February 13, 2020, 09:11:40 AM
We'll know in 2-4 weeks time whether this is a global pandemic like the Spanish Flu or if it's contained in China.

I think it is going to take longer to know if it spreads to countries less able to treat/contain it.  That is where the WHO thinks the real risk lies.

DGuller

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2020, 09:13:22 AM
No chance I would leave my bed if I actually had influenza.  I think part of the misunderstanding is when people feel shitty they call their symptoms the flu.  But it isn't. The flu is much worse.

Agreed.  If you have the flu, the only seat you'd be occupying on an airplane would be on the toilet.  And that'd only work if you had a steady supply of barf bags.

As you say, people with the flu are bedridden except in emergencies.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on February 13, 2020, 04:43:33 AM
Also, regarding the economic fallout of the disease, some automotive factories in the Barcelona area are having supply problems because they imported parts from Chinese factories that have been shut down. Pretty sure Iormlund knows more.

We only source one component from China (from Wuhan no less!). We've got enough stock to last till June, so we're not in any danger of stopping our customers.

However, it is likely that other suppliers' supply chain could fail and indirectly force some temporary shutdowns.

Admiral Yi

According to The Economist, only 50% of "doctors" in China have a bachelor's degree. :mellow:

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2020, 01:59:13 PM
According to The Economist, only 50% of "doctors" in China have a bachelor's degree. :mellow:
I guess they are strong on traditional medicine and also call themselves doctor.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Well the UK is not really one to brag.  Doctors there study medicine as their undergraduate degree.  North Americans who go to the UK to study medicine get a bit of a surprise when they go up against North American trained medical students for residency positions.

Monoriu

Medicine is not a terribly desired career in Mainland China.  It is still better than a lot of professions, but it doesn't enjoy the same high status in other countries.  One can make more money by working for the party or having a successful business career.  The other thing is doctors have notoriously bad relationships with patients.  If a patient dies, it isn't uncommon for the grieving family to go after the doctor, and such operations very often become violent. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Iormlund on February 13, 2020, 01:47:19 PM
Also, regarding the economic fallout of the disease, some automotive factories in the Barcelona area are having supply problems because they imported parts from Chinese factories that have been shut down. Pretty sure Iormlund knows more.

We only source one component from China (from Wuhan no less!). We've got enough stock to last till June, so we're not in any danger of stopping our customers.

However, it is likely that other suppliers' supply chain could fail and indirectly force some temporary shutdowns.

Wuhan is China's Detroit. 

Tonitrus

Quote from: Monoriu on February 13, 2020, 07:01:57 PM

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 13, 2020, 08:41:38 PM

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Of course it means the booming, prosperous automobile capital of the mighty US, where Henry Ford built his empire and so on  ;)

viper37

remdesivir.  First antiviral administered to a patient in France, with sucess.  No more signs of the virus, no clinical symptoms on the patient.

Tests are to begin soon in China. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

FunkMonk

https://youtu.be/Ny4a-oxOndo
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.