Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on February 12, 2020, 07:24:11 PM
There is a huge surge in the number of confirmed cases today.  Almost 15,000 new cases in one day, and 240+ deaths.  That's in Hubei province alone.  In recent days, the daily increase is usually three or four thousand.

It's because the declining number of new infection for the last week was just a lie. They haven't admitted it, but the firing of a bunch officials and these new numbers basically proves it.
https://twitter.com/XHNews/status/1227523779150041094
QuoteHubei Province has fired or disciplined a group of officials for misdeeds in the fight against the epidemic http://xhne.ws/MZ4ep

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Legbiter

Quote from: Monoriu on February 12, 2020, 07:24:11 PM
There is a huge surge in the number of confirmed cases today.  Almost 15,000 new cases in one day, and 240+ deaths.  That's in Hubei province alone.  In recent days, the daily increase is usually three or four thousand.

Probably just released the actual real daily statistics.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Monoriu

The official explanation is that they have now included cases that are "clinically diagnosed".  I think that means if the doctor says you have it, then you have it.  Previous diagnosis required confirmation by laboratory tests.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on February 12, 2020, 08:02:58 PM
The official explanation is that they have now included cases that are "clinically diagnosed".  I think that means if the doctor says you have it, then you have it.  Previous diagnosis required confirmation by laboratory tests.

Limited number of test kits, and the test kits often gave false positives (30-50%!), was holding back the numbers from what I've seen.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 12, 2020, 08:29:37 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 12, 2020, 08:02:58 PM

Limited number of test kits, and the test kits often gave false positives (30-50%!), was holding back the numbers from what I've seen.

More on the numbers issue:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51482994

QuoteCoronavirus: Sharp increase in deaths and cases in Hubei
13 February 2020 

Some 242 deaths from the new coronavirus were recorded in the Chinese province of Hubei on Wednesday - the deadliest day of the outbreak.

There was also a huge increase in the number of cases, with 14,840 people diagnosed with the virus.

Hubei has started using a broader definition to diagnose people - which accounts for most of the rise in cases.

Until Wednesday's increases, the number of people diagnosed in Hubei - where the outbreak emerged - was stabilising.

But the new cases and deaths in the province have pushed the national death toll above 1,350 - with almost 60,000 cases in total.
Why a global city is so vulnerable to virus spread

The province - which accounts for more than 80% of overall Chinese infections - now includes "clinically diagnosed cases" in the number of confirmed cases.

This means it includes those showing symptoms, and having a CT scan showing the infected lung - rather than relying only on the standard nucleic acid tests.

Of the 242 new deaths in Wuhan, 135 are such "clinically diagnosed" cases. That means, even without the new definition, the number of deaths in Hubei on Wednesday was 107 - a new high for the province.

The province's 14,840 new infections include 13,332 clinically diagnosed cases.

Overall, the province now has 48,206 confirmed infections
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

According to a doctor friend of mine this change in counting cases is a bit blunt because they are now probably including "regular" pneumonia cases as covid19 cases.

celedhring

Also, regarding the economic fallout of the disease, some automotive factories in the Barcelona area are having supply problems because they imported parts from Chinese factories that have been shut down. Pretty sure Iormlund knows more.

Tamas

The first London case was finally confirmed yesterday. And if there's one in such a crowded city, there must be hundreds already, who will in turn each infect hundreds etc.

I am genuinely considering not flying back to my family in Hungary during Easter, as is my custom. With a 98 years old grandmother and a 1.5 years old niece, I don't want to be the one bringing this shit home.

Zanza

Quote from: celedhring on February 13, 2020, 04:43:33 AM
Also, regarding the economic fallout of the disease, some automotive factories in the Barcelona area are having supply problems because they imported parts from Chinese factories that have been shut down. Pretty sure Iormlund knows more.
That's hitting industry around the world now.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on February 13, 2020, 04:46:16 AM
The first London case was finally confirmed yesterday. And if there's one in such a crowded city, there must be hundreds already, who will in turn each infect hundreds etc.

I am genuinely considering not flying back to my family in Hungary during Easter, as is my custom. With a 98 years old grandmother and a 1.5 years old niece, I don't want to be the one bringing this shit home.

That sounds quite paranoidy, tbh. Would you fly and visit your family if you had regular flu? And who knows what the situation will be come easter.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on February 13, 2020, 06:59:47 AM

That sounds quite paranoidy, tbh. Would you fly and visit your family if you had regular flu? And who knows what the situation will be come easter.

Well, precisely, who knows what the situation will be during Easter, that's my point. I'd fly tomorrow with no worries. But there could easily be thousands of infected Londoners who have been in sneezing distance of my coworkers, for example, by Easter.  All I am saying is that I feel I should postpone the ticket purchase to see if it escalates over here.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on February 13, 2020, 07:28:36 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 13, 2020, 06:59:47 AM

Well, precisely, who knows what the situation will be during Easter, that's my point. I'd fly tomorrow with no worries. But there could easily be thousands of infected Londoners who have been in sneezing distance of my coworkers, for example, by Easter.  All I am saying is that I feel I should postpone the ticket purchase to see if it escalates over here.

You're such a pessimist, you're assuming that by easter it will be much worse, I'm implying that by easter it might have blown over already.

DGuller

He strikes me as an optimist, he's assuming he'll still be alive by Easter.

Tamas

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on February 13, 2020, 08:41:58 AM
He strikes me as an optimist, he's assuming he'll still be alive by Easter.

I'm a pessimist so I assume the same.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?