Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on December 02, 2021, 02:31:02 PM
QuoteCovid: Germany puts major restrictions on unvaccinated

I generally agree with the measures and want a vaccine mandate. But why do our politicians always feel compelled to add one bizarre completely unrelated rule to the Mix? That discredits the whole package...

It could be an "add something to the list only to have something to drop at some point so you can claim that you negotiated/listened to reactions" kind of situation.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on December 03, 2021, 03:48:27 AM
It could be an "add something to the list only to have something to drop at some point so you can claim that you negotiated/listened to reactions" kind of situation.
Also it's something quite visible so on the "something must be done" line it works very well.

We had similar here with London getting rid of the Bonfire Night fireworks in most boroughs and not doing fireworks for New Year's this year (or last year). It doesn't make a wild amount of sense to me given that it is outdoors - maybe there's issues with travel but it still just seems a little weird.

But what Zanza was saying is very true - I think the weirdest is the British and Irish confusion that's happened where you need to wear a mask in pubs unless you're at a table, but you don't in clubs. In rural/small town Britain and Ireland there is normally a pub which has a late license and maybe a back room so it just becomes a club at about midnight and there was this really weird rule that you would have to wear a mask until midnight while you stood around having a drink - but you could take it off after midnight if you were dancing :lol:

I still find the absolutely standard approach here over the last year very, very weird. So you commonly have to wear a mask in pubs and restaurants when you're going to the loo, but don't wear a mask when you're sat down talking - I don't understand the reasoning at all.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

My kids got vaccinated today. Woo!

Now, my daughter needs to get tested because of close contact in her class. Not woo.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

I go back the hospital on Monday.  I'll see if I can get my booster then.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Not good, this is measles level contagion

https://twitter.com/GANyborg/status/1466874636554100737
https://twitter.com/GANyborg/status/1466875096212119556
QuoteNorway is seeing the world's first omicron superspreader event after a party downtown Oslo last Friday. Of 120 healthy non-symptomatic fully vaccinated individuals with a negative test, two had recently returned from South Africa and turned out to be positive, omicron
QuoteNow some 80-90 of the 120 are PCR pos, 13 of these confirmed omicron, the rest waiting for sequencing results. Some of those infected w omicron were not at the party but present at the same restaurant that evening. Not looking good re transmissibility.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/omicron-outbreak-norway-christmas-party-is-biggest-outside-s-africa-authorities-2021-12-03/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Switzerland has stopped requiring mandatory quarantine for arrivals from the UK.
Christmas is stable again :w00t:
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

T-shirt: "The Hitler salute of our time."

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1467200006813798403?s=20

Quote"The best vaccine we've found is Mother Nature's vaccine. It's contracting the virus" -- on OAN, Rep. Matt Gaetz cuts a promo for getting a disease that has killed about 775,000 Americans
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Not only did it kill 775k, there will be millions suffering from Long Covid.

The Larch

Where would you place this kind of answer in the Dumb/Malicious scale?

mongers

Quote from: The Larch on December 05, 2021, 08:08:27 AM
Where would you place this kind of answer in the Dumb/Malicious scale?

Majority malicious, he's pandering to his political base, though by the sounds of it he lost touch with reality years ago, so maybe has reverted to New Dumb.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Don't know if this was posted about already.

QuoteAustrian Anti-Vaxxer Who Treated His COVID Infection With Bleach Ingredient Dies

A prominent Austrian anti-vaccination advocate who said he attempted to treat his COVID-19 infection with a substance found in some bleach products has died after suffering complications from the disease.

Johann Biacsics, one of the leaders of the anti-vaccination movement in the country, reportedly contracted COVID-19 in October and said he began administering himself with a product containing chlorine dioxide, a substance that is touted by some as a treatment for the disease as well as many other ailments
(...)
A post on Biacsics' personal website made the claim that taking the chlorine dioxide (CDL) product successfully treated his infection.

"I took CDL and also made high-dose CDL enemas," the post said. "As it turned out later, I successfully fought COVID 19 with it. The self-tests I had done were all negative."

But the 65-year-old's condition worsened significantly and he was admitted to hospital in early November after experiencing low oxygen levels and difficulty breathing. Medical staff at the hospital administered a PCR test, which came up positive, German weekly Die Zeit reported.

Biacsics refused the treatment plan that doctors offered him, convinced that he had beaten the acute infection. Eventually, he decided to leave the hospital, calling his son who picked him up and took him home.

Biacsics ordered everything he needed to administer chlorine dioxide infusions to himself. But just two days later, he passed away. It is not clear whether Biacsics' consumption of CDL contributed to his death.

Biacsics had previously made false claims that chlorine dioxide could be used to treat COVID-19 infections.

QuoteItalian anti-vax leader 'converts' after hospitalisation

The leader of the Treviso branch of Italy's anti-vax movement has 'converted' to believing in COVID science after being hospitalised in the northern city with a nasty bout of the virus, sources said Wednesday.

Lorenzo Damiano led protests by anti-vaxxers and COVID deniers in Treviso near Venice against the Green Pass health certificate and stood as a 'Nuremberg #2' candidate in a nearby mayoral contest saying that vaccine skeptics were being treated like Holocaust victims.

But after his recent spell in intensive care, Damiano told reporters "after this period I now have a different vision of the world, and I'm going to get vaccinated".

Nice contrast, the Austrian faces reality and sticks to his guns to the bitter end, the Italian switches sides.

The Brain

So Covid can make you accept a second Holocaust? I thought loss of taste was bad.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I had to look that up.  I didn't think anyone was stupid enough to shoot bleach up their ass.  A very stupid old man killing himself like that is one thing but adults have been trying to cure Autism in kids using the same method. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017