Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Sometimes I wonder if were too successful in making our saves safe.  200 years ago people dealt with sudden death all the time.  Every mother knew that the odds were high that at least one of here children would die before adulthood. Cholera could sweep through a neighborhood and kill 10% of the residents.  Hell, 100 years ago it wasn't great.  Today most people die in the 70's in a hospital.  Deaths are rarely sudden.  Are people so used to being safe, they can't adjust when a serious danger comes?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2021, 01:44:36 PM
Sometimes I wonder if were too successful in making our saves safe.  200 years ago people dealt with sudden death all the time.  Every mother knew that the odds were high that at least one of here children would die before adulthood. Cholera could sweep through a neighborhood and kill 10% of the residents.  Hell, 100 years ago it wasn't great.  Today most people die in the 70's in a hospital.  Deaths are rarely sudden.  Are people so used to being safe, they can't adjust when a serious danger comes?

100 years ago, people didn't go to hospital when they were sick, unless they were very rich or they were soldiers sent to a military hospital.  They also didn't pay taxes for healthcare.

Nowadays, we expect the hospital to help us when we get there for a road accident (something much rarer in 1920s) or a cardiac arrest.  We pay for it, we are entitled for it.  If the emergency ward is overwhelmed by sick people who simply refused to take appropriate measure to protect themselves, then either we refuse to treat them, or we keep on treating people as per the emergency level and triage rules, which means that the 40 years old mom in a car accident might not receive medical care since there's no more ventilator available.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Sometimes I wonder if were too successful in making our saves safe.

Disagree. It really sucks when they get corrupted or overwritten.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

I'm hearing lots of stories of stupid people under 30 getting covid.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on September 30, 2021, 04:07:14 AM

TBF all of us will get it, probably fairly soon.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on September 30, 2021, 04:27:26 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 30, 2021, 04:07:14 AM

TBF all of us will get it, probably fairly soon.

It better not get into my hermitage!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

One of my go to topics when with a group of people and conversation lags is, "you wake up tomorrow and it is 1850. Only you have been transported back in time - you don't have books, tools, anything else. What do you do with the rest of your life?" Is the answer that many people would live their lives as effective shut ins, only leaving for essential activities, as the infectious disease risk was way higher back in those days than covid today?

I think the real answer is that many people are incapable of assessing risk and easily scared by shiny new dangers without perspective on the risks that have always been with us. A few weeks ago I was going to post a study in the UK that in the samples measured the risk to unvaccinated kids was less than any age group of vaccinated adults. I thought of looking up the mortality among children from automobile accidents and comparing to covid--but it probably isn't worth the energy.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Ffs.
Just been to a "hospital" (small private thing. Had no idea they existed. Bloody hell.) for the foie gras treatment.
One of the nurses prepping, a woman I guess in her late 50s, asked if I'd been vaxed... Said she had been and was due for a booster soon then went off on one how it's not right putting all these chemicals in your body, nobody knows if it's safe, etc....
Given what was about to happen I didn't argue.
Amazing how even people who really should know better get wrapped up in this.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on September 30, 2021, 05:36:56 AM
I think the real answer is that many people are incapable of assessing risk and easily scared by shiny new dangers without perspective on the risks that have always been with us. A few weeks ago I was going to post a study in the UK that in the samples measured the risk to unvaccinated kids was less than any age group of vaccinated adults. I thought of looking up the mortality among children from automobile accidents and comparing to covid--but it probably isn't worth the energy.
I've mentioned before but there are areas where North America and Europe are really diverging.

Schools and attitudes to children seems to be the biggest. The policies in parts of North America seem absolutely crazy from a European perspective, while our approach no doubt seems incredibly high risk from there.

Also vaccine passports/mandates, because I think Scotland is considering a vaccine mandate with no exemption for people with a negative test as the alternative - but it's the first jurisdiction in Europe to consider this with no exemption route (France has an exemption and free testing but is planning to make it only free for people who've already been vaccinated, which I quite like :lol:).
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on September 30, 2021, 05:42:46 AM
Ffs.
Just been to a "hospital" (small private thing. Had no idea they existed. Bloody hell.) for the foie gras treatment.
One of the nurses prepping, a woman I guess in her late 50s, asked if I'd been vaxed... Said she had been and was due for a booster soon then went off on one how it's not right putting all these chemicals in your body, nobody knows if it's safe, etc....
Given what was about to happen I didn't argue.
Amazing how even people who really should know better get wrapped up in this.
:lol: I don't mind if someone complaining about all those things has already been double-vaxxed and is going for their booster shot.

If only all the people who were moaning about how it's not right etc were so compliant to social pressure/norms.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.