Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Spoke to soon... kid in my son's class has tested positive.

The approval for 5-11 year olds can't come soon enough.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on September 29, 2021, 12:33:54 AM

kids this age have less risks of suffering severe covid symptoms than vaccinated adults.  But they can still be a vector of transmission, unfortunately. :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on September 29, 2021, 10:21:32 AM

kids this age have less risks of suffering severe covid symptoms than vaccinated adults.  But they can still be a vector of transmission, unfortunately. :(

That's the problem. They are stacked 24-30 a class & are variant makers!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Here's hoping your kids don't get it.   Are they required to go get tested?

And just for your comfort - when my 11 year old caught Covid from someone in a hockey camp he had absolutely zero symptoms and didn't pass it on to the test of our family.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

A very close friends of mine's aunt passed away last week from Covid. She was 70, otherwise healthy. Her family convinced her not to get vaccinated, because it was untested and such.

Now they are saying "Was it really covid though?", because you know, her doctors probably lied to get money or something.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on September 29, 2021, 11:13:40 AM
A very close friends of mine's aunt passed away last week from Covid. She was 70, otherwise healthy. Her family convinced her not to get vaccinated, because it was untested and such.

Now they are saying "Was it really covid though?", because you know, her doctors probably lied to get money or something.

"Did she die from Covid, or did she just die with Covid"?  :rolleyes:

Valmy

If you put all your trust into political propaganda instead of science it is amazing how quickly your basic grasp on reality loosens. But it is also kind of understandable they start psychologically coming up with some rationalization that it is not their fault.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Ugh, for some reason it always depresses you more to hear individual stories with few degrees of separation.  Now her family members are either going to go through some serious emotional shit at some point, when the realization dawns on them, or they're going to permanently emigrate from reality in order to avoid that happening.  Depressing outcomes all around.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2021, 10:50:59 AM

We ran through the checklist, and no they're not at this point. We're keeping him home for the next few days though.

QuoteAnd just for your comfort - when my 11 year old caught Covid from someone in a hockey camp he had absolutely zero symptoms and didn't pass it on to the test of our family.

Yeah, a big part of me is thinking "it's probably not a big deal, and hey if he (and his sister) get it with few symptoms they'll be better off in the future" and the other part is worries.

Not much to be done at this point, though.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on September 29, 2021, 11:25:07 AM
Ugh, for some reason it always depresses you more to hear individual stories with few degrees of separation.  Now her family members are either going to go through some serious emotional shit at some point, when the realization dawns on them, or they're going to permanently emigrate from reality in order to avoid that happening.  Depressing outcomes all around.

Yeah that's shitty :(

Barrister

This is a really weird article about a community in Manitoba with a really low vaccination rate - 24%.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-covid-19-stanley-winkler-morden-southern-health-wfpcbc-cbc-1.6192673

But here's the weird thing.  It's talking about the Rural Municipality of Stanley, 1 hour south of Winnipeg.  It describes the RM as being conservative, white, deeply Christian, and where German is the second most spoken language.  All of this is true.  But what it doesn't say is the word "Mennonite".  RM of Stanley (and the City of Winkler which it surrounds) is Mennonite country.

Well, the article doesn't completely avoid the use of the word.  In the middle of the article it starts talking about the history of Mennonite migration to Canada.  But that doesn't make any sense unless you already knew that this part of the world is Mennonite country, since the article doesn't tell you that.

What's more though is the article says that they could only find one area in Canada with an even lower vaccination rate - High Level, Alberta with only 20.7% of people are vaccinated.  And of course what the article doesn't tell you is that High Level has a huge - you guessed it - Mennonite community.  (Now this reporter works for CBC Manitoba so he might not know that).

These kind of media blind spots, where they refuse to point out a glaring obvious fact because they don't want to be accused of discrimination of something, is just weird.

HVC

And just for your comfort - when my 11 year old caught Covid from someone in a hockey camp he had absolutely zero symptoms and didn't pass it on to the test of our family.

As to testing - We've had  few school scares with colleagues, and at least in their situations they either had to get test of stay away for 10 (or until the original person with symptoms tested negative) days before going back if anyone in the class was a suspected case.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

sorry to hear.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on September 29, 2021, 11:52:24 AM

As to testing - We've had  few school scares with colleagues, and at least in their situations they either had to get test of stay away for 10 (or until the original person with symptoms tested negative) days before going back if anyone in the class was a suspected case.

As I understand it in Alberta if there's a positive case in a class you're notified, but nobody is required to isolate or get tested.  AHS does keep track and if there is an absentee rate of over 10% (whether or not it's Covid) they can step in and declare an outbreak and take additional steps.

Also as an aside, as I understand it if you come down with Covid there's no need to wait for a negative test - as I understand it you will still test positive for Covid for awhile after your symptoms have resolved and you no longer shed the virus.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 29, 2021, 10:36:13 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 29, 2021, 10:21:32 AM

That's the problem. They are stacked 24-30 a class & are variant makers!
I don't know up to what point the virus can develop and transmit in them compared to other age groups.  I have seen contradictory studies on this.  I think it's a worst effect for an unvaccinated adult than it is for them.  I could be wrong, though.

Anyway, it's better if they're all vaccinated now.  They'll have to be, eventually, anyway.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.