Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on September 20, 2021, 04:00:04 PM

You are a shitty gambler.

Sure, developing an extreme allergic reaction was extremely unlikely but essentially you bet your life on that to gain 10 minutes.

Assuming I have a 40 year life expectancy and sleep 8 hours a night, I've got about 14 million waking minutes left. I don't know what the odds are of a severe allergic reaction that would result in death if driving, but if they are less than 1 in a million it seems like I made the right decision (the wait time is 15 minutes rather than 10 minutes).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on September 20, 2021, 04:38:45 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 20, 2021, 04:00:04 PM

You are a shitty gambler.

Sure, developing an extreme allergic reaction was extremely unlikely but essentially you bet your life on that to gain 10 minutes.

Assuming I have a 40 year life expectancy and sleep 8 hours a night, I've got about 14 million waking minutes left. I don't know what the odds are of a severe allergic reaction that would result in death if driving, but if they are less than 1 in a million it seems like I made the right decision (the wait time is 15 minutes rather than 10 minutes).

For the Moderna vaccine the chance are 11 in a million, or, one in 90,000

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7002e1.htm

So seems like a bad bet.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2021, 04:42:58 PM

For the Moderna vaccine the chance are 11 in a million, or, one in 90,000

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7002e1.htm

So seems like a bad bet.

I disagree.

QuoteDuring December 14–23, 2020, monitoring by the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System detected 21 cases of anaphylaxis after administration of a reported 1,893,360 first doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine (11.1 cases per million doses); 71% of these occurred within 15 minutes of vaccination.

Waiting would only be effective for 71% of the cases because onset in 29% was longer than 15 minutes, so it is really 7.9 / million. But more significantly:

QuoteTwenty-one cases were determined to be anaphylaxis (a rate of 11.1 per million doses administered), including 17 in persons with a documented history of allergies or allergic reactions, seven of whom had a history of anaphylaxis.

Only 4 cases were noted in people without a documented history of allergies or allergic reaction, and 1/3 had a history of anaphylaxis. I have no documented history of allergies, allergic reaction, or anaphylaxis (but maybe I was a bad influence on my wife who does).

In addition, 19 of the 21 cases were in females.

A male without a history of allergies, allergic reactions, or anaphylaxis seems to be making the right choice to just walk out of there and not wait the 15 minutes.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on September 20, 2021, 03:03:58 PM
I went with my wife for both shots and for the first one they said to wait 15 minutes, and I just walked out...but that backfired because my wife did wait. :(

I explained to her that waiting was stupid, and then for the second shot she just walked out like I did. :)

So what you are saying is your wife started out smart but you have had an effect on her?

Jacob

What's wrong with sitting around and relaxing for 15 minutes?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on September 20, 2021, 05:19:04 PM

If you walk out and have a reaction you might be able to sue?

Jacob

Fair point. I meant more generally, though.

Sheilbh

Wasn't expecting it. Didn't have a book or headphones and did it during work and had a call very soon after appointment so just had mounting stress :blush:

Had I known I'd have booked earlier and been prepared.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 20, 2021, 05:25:25 PM
Wasn't expecting it. Didn't have a book or headphones and did it during work and had a call very soon after appointment so just had mounting stress :blush:

Had I known I'd have booked earlier and been prepared.

It is a bit of a sad comment on the modern need for constant stimulation (not you in particular) that sitting for a brief time with your thoughts is a chore.

DGuller

I wouldn't say it's all that relaxing to sit on a $10 folding chair staring at shampoo bottles for 15 minutes, unless you haven't seen shampoo bottles in a while.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

I could argue my time is valuable but I have too many posts to really say that.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on September 20, 2021, 06:17:41 PM
I wouldn't say it's all that relaxing to sit on a $10 folding chair staring at shampoo bottles for 15 minutes, unless you haven't seen shampoo bottles in a while.

Fair enough.

Personally, being away from both work and the kids, not having to rush anywhere, and not having any active demands on my attention was a treat. That said, I do enjoy people watching, so I had a way to pass time.

Probably a sign that I'm getting old... :old:

Syt

Were you guys not allowed phones while you waited? I did my daily crossword during the post shot waiting periods. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.