News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2020 Thread

Started by merithyn, January 06, 2020, 11:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on April 20, 2020, 02:44:48 PM
I've been dieting since the lockdown started. I worried that if I didn't make a conscious effort, I'd end up eating snacks all day watching TV.

It's going well - I lost 18 pounds over the last five weeks. Hoping to do the same again.

:cool:

Good going.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HisMajestyBOB

My goals are to drop below 190 lbs, run a marathon in under 5 hours and a half-marathon in under 2 hours, and break 500 miles total for the year.

Weight is still stubbornly just above 190. I'm behind in my miles, but I should be able to catch up now that its stopped being so cold and rainy. My half marathon (the Marine Corp Marathon's Historic Half) was cancelled, but if you run a half on your own and submit the time, they'll count it and send you the swag.

This fall will be my third marathon in as many years, if it's not cancelled. I've made progress in improving my running pace, with my 10 mile runs coming in around 9 minutes a mile.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

crazy canuck

I really miss the gym and in particular being able to lift heaving things. 

HisMajestyBOB

You don't need a gym to lift heavy things. Be creative!
Try lifting bags of rice, buckets of water, and small children.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Eddie Teach

Their parents might mind.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

I've found bodyweight exercises to be effective in lieu of a gym. Particularly playing around with different kinds of pushups you can really make your upper body work.

Malthus

I've been dieting for the last couple of months - I've lost 21 pounds so far.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on May 04, 2020, 11:39:30 PM

Need a lot of kids to press 285

mongers

Did a little over 300 miles on the bike last month, not brilliant but OK given I'm limited to the local places.

fromtia

There's a bike trail about 20 minutes from my house- one of those converted former railway trails. It runs through woods and farms through old Florida, some creeks and wetland, through at least one town that gave up and disincorporated, past a team harvesting cauliflower. I took it to Palatka and back about 3 and a half hour round trip. Pretty quiet on a Tuesday, handful of riders and one rollerblader, oh and a snake. Good times.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

mongers

Quote from: fromtia on May 05, 2020, 05:05:46 PM
There's a bike trail about 20 minutes from my house- one of those converted former railway trails. It runs through woods and farms through old Florida, some creeks and wetland, through at least one town that gave up and disincorporated, past a team harvesting cauliflower. I took it to Palatka and back about 3 and a half hour round trip. Pretty quiet on a Tuesday, handful of riders and one rollerblader, oh and a snake. Good times.

:cool:

Nice, finding the quiet admit the... , oh right the world has gone a bit quiet recently, hasn't it.

merithyn

This is so frustrating. I just did a bunch of calculations, and by several different measures, my body fat is at 27.5%-28%. (I used several different methods, all of which put me in this range.)

I weight 166 pounds today, which is just shy of "obese" per the BMI. (COVID 15 is a real thing. :( ) At 28% body fat, that has me completely ignoring the BMI, which we all know is shit for most people anyway. That also means that my lean body mass is 119.5. A "healthy" weight with that lean body mass and 20% body fat puts me at 143.4 pounds. Okay, clear, achievable goal established. Yay!

Look around some more to see what "healthy" is for someone at my height (5'2.5") and stature (large frame/muscular), and if I weigh 143.4, I'm still overweight by the BMI but for my frame kind of healthy. My doctor has told me that she would like to see me at 135 pounds or with a waist of 33". When I was in Europe I was at my smallest size in ages, weighing 150. By my best calculations, that's 25% body fat, which is "healthy" for a woman my age. (Less than 30% is supposed to be healthy at my age, but that seems high to me.) My waist was still 35". I can't imagine losing 2" with only dropping an extra 6.6 pounds.

If I weigh what my doctor wants me to weigh, I'd be at 13% body fat. That might, however, get me to the preferred 33" waist. Might. I'm 50 years old. Under no circumstances should I be at 13% body fat. To get to that weight, I'd have to drop muscle, which seems really counter-productive.

The lesson that I've gotten from all of this is that MY BODY DOESN'T WANT ME TO BE "HEALTHY"!! :ultra:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2020, 09:14:39 AM

Nowadays......no you dont. :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on May 07, 2020, 08:11:02 PM

True that.  Plus my two are more like 400 combined - I suppose I could deadlift them

Been more than two months away now - I wonder how much I have weakened and what my max bench would be now...  Feel like I am going to have to start slow and work up all over again.

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2020, 08:29:22 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 07, 2020, 08:11:02 PM

True that.  Plus my two are more like 400 combined - I suppose I could deadlift them

Been more than two months away now - I wonder how much I have weakened and what my max bench would be now...  Feel like I am going to have to start slow and work up all over again.

Well, last time I went to the Kyokushin Dojo was 6 March. Been shut down since then.

We just stared the first Zoom class yesterday as a hold over till we reopen. A forty minute class destroyed me.

Good thing is, there are Kyokushin Zoom classes from all the IKO's you can drop into all over the world. Cool as shit actually and doesn't cost a thing. The class yesterday had our normal crew, folks from Colorado and a dude from the UK. Saturday one of the Shihans from Switzerland will be cohosting.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".