News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Got Into D&D This Year...

Started by C.C.R., December 21, 2019, 05:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on January 14, 2020, 03:34:25 AM
I had a blast with rolemaster back in the time, particularly with the hilarious crit/fumble tables, but it was way too fiddly. Ultimately we went back to MERP which was a lighter weight version of that system.

God, I loved MERP (I guess that's not a surprise given my username).

MERP was awesome. Many, many nights of MERP.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on December 27, 2019, 05:40:01 PM
Quote from: C.C.R. on December 27, 2019, 08:49:24 AM
Quote from: Berkut on December 22, 2019, 11:01:22 AM
Hey! Nice to see you again!

I am totally starting a D&D game as well. First live RPG gaming in...20years?

Are going to give 5e a try or go with an older version?

Just going with 5e.

Although I do miss the Dragonlance setting.

I'm in a 5e group doing the Forgotten Realms setting. It's been fun so far. We're about four months in.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

BuddhaRhubarb

Hey CCR long time no see!
I run a 5e game for the last 18 months or so of a very homebrew game of my own, been able to play regular once a month except over the last summer.  enjoying very much, also did a one off all Bard game that was a hoot, as the players went all in on their barding. planning some more one offs in the spring, and joining a new Call of Cthuhlu game with a group i have played on and off with for the last 12-13 years. so much gaming.
:p

celedhring

So, we're starting a D&D 5E game this month. I haven't played D&D since th 3.5 edition, and with technological progress and all I bet there are some good apps/util out there to help out DMing (I'm the DM) and keep track of campaign stuff? Any recs?

Zoupa

crazy canuck

Any recommendations from those links?

btw, I checked and Rolemaster is digitized now.  No more binders of tables.  Something to consider if I ever retire.  :D

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

The player aids/DM screens are awesome. I haven't played in 15+ years and I'm scrambling to relearn the rules.

celedhring

GMed the opening session. I was certainly a bit too rusty and nearly killed my players with a badly tuned encounter, but we had lots of fun and we're planning to do this a monthly thing.

The new 5e system is pretty similar to 3.5 minus the rule bloat, and gives more options to the players quicker, so it plays fast and fun.

PDH

I have been running our old group in a GURPS campaign on Harn.  Lots of fun, epic quests, grisly deaths due to low tech and low magic, enough treasure to keep them coming back.

We run over Google Hangouts, with the main group in Wyoming, me in Santa Cruz, and another long time player in Austin.  Next year one of the people will also be in Logan, Ut.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Darth Wagtaros

We just need PDH and TheLotus and the whole gang will be back together.
PDH!

celedhring

I'm going to try run D&D games remotely to try to not go mad during the quarantine. Any software recommendation or just plain old Skype?

saskganesh

I am playing my first Tabletop AD&D game in 14 months tomorrow, so I thought it would be worth a ghost bump. I will be playing a gnome named Ersey, because of the pun: Gnome Ersey. The GM is an actor/director, so has good stupid voices, and very good table flow.  And I meet interesting women.

I also rejoined my elder brother's Rolemaster game a few months ago. Sometimes, after 45 years of gaming,  we are Cain and Abel so it can be a chore, but so far it is rather enjoyable. It is on Zoom, which works quite well for an old school theater of the mind vibe. Our last game was a night fight, so lack of a map did not matter. Anyway the party is preparing a temple heist ... in a war zone...between two competing religions. Always fun. Grenades are hot.

Elder brother is a History PHD so his world building and maps! are excellent, but his table flow can sometimes be like an iceberg. He has some great character voices, because in the end, he just wants to play.
humans were created in their own image

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image