News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

I remain underwhelmed by the Book of Bobba Fett; it feels a lot more "empty" than the Mandalorian, probably because it messes with a character that benefited a lot from his aura, rather than from anything concrete about him - but that's the trick they pulled, very well, I thought, with the Mandalorian. Can't really have that a second time in a row. The whole story proceeds both too slowly and too quickly: [spoiler]One day, Bobba Fett is captive to the Tusken; the other, he's their savior; the next, they are dead - and their impact, beyond some material things, haven't really made an impact [/spoiler] (I think it also shows that Temuera Morrison is not as good an actor as Pedro Pascal).

If Bobba Fett is supposed to be dangerous, it's hard to disagree with the mayor, or the water merchant, that so far, he isn't really that deserving of political respect. Yet, he's given respect by some characters where the series has shown us that none was actually warranted. The first seasons of Game of Thrones (or, indeed, the Godfather) should have given a good sense of how to build a political narrative with stakes - and few words.

If the contrast is supposed to be between his physical prowess and lack of political acumen, it's not quite convincing, because he's shown to be diminished, and yet not. If it's between his change of heart, it's not showing at all - it seems to have happened off screen.  If it's about growing his influence after having thought he had it all, we never saw him triumphant - and thus, will be weird to see him humbled. If Fett is out of shape, and physically diminished, it needs to actually show as a hurdle, rather than as a narrative contrivance. If his band of mercenaries is ragtag, they need to be shown as such... Yet, they are simultaneously snotty kids, and really competent; the Gamorreans are loyal, but never actually there.

It's like the director never wants to threaten the cool factor of all his action figures.
Que le grand cric me croque !

celedhring

I think the problem is that the story lacks focus. It tries to be many things and yet it never settles into one, so plot hooks come and go without leaving much of a mark. Mandalorian had a very basic hook (save the child!) which was mantained throughout, and every episode was clearly about something very concrete - Book of Boba has been much more muddled on that regard. Now, you don't need to write every show like The Mandalorian, but Book of Boba clearly hasn't found its own rythm.

Syt

I still feel they may tie the past and present stories together in what I hope will be a satisfying way.

Boba in the present is clearly weaker in some way. In the flashbacks he kicks all kinds of ass, while in the present he is often on the receiving end of an ass kicking and is saved by allies (assassination attempt Ep. 1, Black Krrsantan).

I think it's fine to give Boba Fett more depth than "ruthless, monosyllabic bounty hunter", and this series seems him trying to break free from his heritage (Jango wanted him to be just as himself) and forge his own path. Kinda how Rancors are more than just killer beasts. ;)

At any rate, if anyone wants to catch up on the canon materials, good luck:

https://i.redd.it/xsawyrvt5ja81.png

:P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on January 14, 2022, 01:20:38 PM
I think the problem is that the story lacks focus. It tries to be many things and yet it never settles into one, so plot hooks come and go without leaving much of a mark. Mandalorian had a very basic hook (save the child!) which was mantained throughout, and every episode was clearly about something very concrete - Book of Boba has been much more muddled on that regard. Now, you don't need to write every show like The Mandalorian, but Book of Boba clearly hasn't found its own rythm.

A lack of focus sure.  But also some lame ideas mixed into the lack of focus.  They turned a bad ass bounty hunter into a befuddled fool of an old man with no idea what is going on.

celedhring

New episode of Book of Boba was... okay? The first half had a lot of "we already know this happened but we have to see it anyway" busywork with [spoiler]Fennec's rescue and the search for the armor[/spoiler] but I appreciated the scene where him and Fennec sit down and he tells her (and the audience) about his vision for the future. The character really needed this kind of "look, this is what I'm about" moment.
I didn't understand why he [spoiler]looked for the armor inside the Sarlacc pit, since he used it to escape[/spoiler] - I guess it's understandable he has some memory loss from the event, but it confused me a bit. Also, the reason why they created that whole cyborg arc is finally revealed, [spoiler]since it's a way to explain how Fennec got cyborged[/spoiler]. Anyway it's pretty clear than the flashbacks are over, and that Boba has left the bacta tank and is finally healed - which hopefully means he'll kick some more ass.

Can't wait for the major cameo hinted at the end of the episode. Really praying for Cad Bane.

Oh, and the Krssantan scene had me in stitches.

Syt

I liked this episode. As you say we know what happened, but I thought it was fine. [spoiler]Stealing the ship (I was amused by how they went out of their way to not call it Slave One, and I look forward to the OUTRAGE among certain fans :lol: ) was a fun little action piece, and even though the bit with the rabbit droid was a bit silly, I did love seeing that design making the transition from Clone Wars to live action. :D Also, when they snuck in the kitchen I was heavily reminded of Skyrim. "Did you hear something?" "Must have been a rat!" :D I was taken out a bit by the little drone heaving very visible red lights and them using it at night. I understand that the lights are there for our benefit, really, so as a viewer you can more easily track it, but it still felt odd.

I did like the mod shop. We've seen plenty of people having cybernetic implants from Vader and Luke to Lobot, Maul and others. Most people seem to rather not take them unless they have to (Cliegg Lars in Ep. 2 notably did not replace his leg after losing it to the Tuskens), but it makes sense that there might be some counter culture who lean into having body modifications of that kind.

Killing the gang was satisfying, but I expect a revelation that it was NOT the gang who killed the tribe. As for the sarlacc, I expected him to just drop a seismic charge into it and move on. I kinda can understand that he might have fuzzy memory of his escape, but he would need to think that he got out of the armor and escaped that way, OR that he got out, took off the armor and it fell back in again? It was weird, and seemed to only exist for a small action scene, and to explain his acid burns that we still see in Mando Season 2.

The present day stuff was a bit meh for me. The Krrsantan scene was funny (and convenient exposition), even though I was ready to cringe if he had acted differently. But the other bits ... eh. The family gathering carried little weight for me, and you know one or all of them will likely betray him.[/spoiler]

Btw, ScreenCrush pointed out someone else's observation that the Boba Fett theme song bears a striking similarity to the Ronja Robber's Daughter main theme, which might be an intended homage since Ludvig Göransson is Swedish. Check here: https://youtu.be/1BwESS6Ngcc?t=20
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 19, 2022, 05:17:02 AM
Can't wait for the major cameo hinted at the end of the episode. Really praying for Cad Bane.

Based on the musical cue I doubt it's Cad Bane, but you never know. [spoiler]I guess we'll see Din Djarin, based on the music. I kind of expect this to be a teaser for Mando season 3? Because when we left him there was that whole weird situation around the Darksaber. Some time has passed since then - what's the status now? Does Din still have it? Will it be mentioned at all? Will he bring back up in the form of more Mandalorians? Because I doubt that just he alone would tip the scales enough. So bringing in more bounty hunters is of course an option (which could be a veritable rogue's gallery from the movies and animated shows, like Cad Bane, Zuckuss, 4-LOM, Dengar, Embo - just for the dynamic with Krrsantan it would be interesting to bring in Bossck, especially now that we've established his hate for Trandoshans .... shit, throw in Hondo while we're at it for the laughs). [/spoiler]
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

This popped up randomly for me in Spotify - a spaghetti western version of the Bad Batch theme. Not sure why that one needed a wild west theme, but it sounds decent enough IMHO.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7b3AXZE47gC8eGAVRWY3oo?si=wmvmZW30Q12Ib_53ijB-KQ
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Mary Elizabeth Winstead has been cast for the Ahsoka show. There's speculation about her role, and people seem to suggest she might either be Hera Syndulla, or a Chiss Admiral from the books/comics? :unsure:

She's not Sabinie Wren, that role has gone to Natasha Liu Bordizzo. Mena Massoud was cast ages ago, and reasonable speculation says he'll be Ezra. Ivana Sakhno has also been cast (again, mystery role, though her Wiki page says "Astrid" :huh: ).

Hayden Christensen has also been confirmed to be on the show. Presumably in flashbacks or as force ghost?

—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 22, 2022, 10:47:45 AM
She's not French  :P

Neither is Hera during Rebels (except when talking to her dad). :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Actually, on the character of "Astrid" - apparently there exists an Astrid character in canon, a background character in Solo who was then named in the visual dictionary for the movie and also appeared up in a Poe Dameron book.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Astrid_Fenris

Character:

Ivanna Sakhno:

In the picture she looks like a young Gwendoline Christie, but she's like 18-20 cm too short to play a young Cpt Phasma. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Syt on January 22, 2022, 10:20:13 AM
Mary Elizabeth Winstead has been cast for the Ahsoka show. There's speculation about her role, and people seem to suggest she might either be Hera Syndulla, or a Chiss Admiral from the books/comics? :unsure:

Looking at her picture, she'd fit the profile of Admiral Ar'alani.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

So, new episode of Boba is [spoiler]the backdoor pilot to Mando's new season. It is a fine Mandalorian episode, but the last thing Book of Boba Fett needed is another episode where nothing is being advanced for you know, Boba.[/spoiler]

I liked how [spoiler]they clarified the whole Bo-Katan not winning the Darksaber in battle thingie in a way that makes lots of sense. I love how they present the Mando mythology (the Armorer is so good in that role) and I like how they are positioning them as in opposition to the Jedi regarding how they tackle personal bonds. That said, the whole "never take off your helmet" clause is quickly becoming a bit of an nuisance, particularly given that we have seen so many purebreed Mandalorians with it off throughout the various shows. I honestly don't care for him going on a quest to redeem himself for this.[/spoiler]

Also, although I liked that they brought back [spoiler]an N-1 Starfighter, it seems a particularly poor choice for a bounty hunter ship. Very limited room for his gear, passengers or prisoners (I guess he's bringing them cold from now on).[/spoiler]

Incidentally, the shot of the droids on the ruined Mandalore city has to be a callback to Terminator.

Syt

Ok, I had a pretty exhausting day at work that took an hour longer than planned, the lunch I ordered was never delivered for some reason (the service cancelled after me waiting for an hour), so I had no food between 7 am and almost 7 pm. So this episode was just what I needed.

Now, I loved the episode. A lot. Enjoyed it more than the previous episodes, to be honest. I've found the series so far "fine" - some good moments and cool things, but overall just, well, fine. Don't hate it, enjoy it when I watch it, but also don't feel excited about it - even if my posts here may seem differently. :P I feel this will be a somewhat divisive episode because 1.) [spoiler]It's a full on Mandalorian episode in an already short Book of Boba Fett season[/spoiler] and 2.) I expect some will complain that [spoiler]"it doesn't move the plot forward enough" (which is true for Boba Fett's personal story in this, though I feel there was some huge foreshadowing, see comment below).[/spoiler]

That said, I also had many :w00t: and fanboi "squee" moments. There was a lot of fanservice in this, but I didn't mind.

Loved the opening in the [spoiler]slaughterhouse. We don't see such mundane places much in Star Wars and it's always appreciated. We learn that Din sucks at using the Darksaber. He still has it, so where's Bo Katan? With the Republic? Possible, but unlikely, I guess. The shots of the ringworld reminded me SO MUCH of Citadel Station in KotOR2. I mean, look at this: https://deadlystream.com/downloads/screens/thumb-a05f5a5c246b9723f8f7d78a30bd0bbb-quanon--s-ciatdel-station-skybox.jpg

We catch up with the armorer and Paz Vizsla and get some backstory (nicely tied together I thought). The "Night of Tears" looked pretty amazing (and so soon after destroying Tipoca City on Kamino :weep: ), with the ground combat taking its cues VERY heavily from the future scenes in Terminator which was weird but also pretty cool. Loved the reference to Concordia. :) We get the prophecy that the Mythasaur will reunite the Mandalorians - while showing the Mythasaur amblem which is of course Boba Fett's emblem so .... foreshadowing? Even more, Boba is creating his own family or, in Mando term, Clan/House. Will Din become part of his clan after being exiled by the Children of the Watch, and use Boba's emblem and take back Mandalore? I mean his show is literally called The Mandalorian and I've been expecting this to be his long term arc.

Anyways, he gets some (much needed) training. The blade seems a lot heavier than when Sabine was wielding it? Though some of the instruction seemed to echo the Rebels episode where she learns to wield it (and we see the little forearm shields again :wub: ). I feel he will get some proper training when he visits "his little friend" and Luke sees that he has the Darksaber, maybe? Speaking of, the armor for Grogu ... seems the little guy will get his own bit of mithril, I mean: beskar chainmail. :wub:

Of course Din gets kicked out of the Covert because he admits he has taken off the helmet. Logical consequence, I guess, and provides him with an arc to "redeem" himself and be accepted by the Children of the Watch again by going into the waters of the mines of whatever when he goes reuniting the Mandalorians. The extremists do hold to their creed, though, because even though exiled, Din keeps the Darksaber after beating Paz Vizsla. It's made clear again that the Darksaber was created by the founder of the house of Vizsla. And let's not forget the Pre Vizsla weilded the Darksaber in Star Wars Clone Wars and led the extremists of Nightwatch (out of which the Children of the Watch possibly arose, or at least were inspired by, because, well, "CHILDREN OF THE WATCH" - not exactly subtle :D ).

Loved Din checking in for his flight. Reminded me of a classic scene that I loved as a kid - Bret Maverick with James Garner where he has to turn in his weapons before a poker game. See this scene: https://youtu.be/ABuuM8BObjk?t=49

Back to Mos Eisley, where he meets with good ol' Peli (guess her brief background cameo in the flashback to Boba visiting the Pykes two episodes ago was foreshadowing?). Had a big smile when they revealed the N1, and loved them turning it basically into a hot rod. The chemistry between Din, Peli and the droids was quite good. I didn't need to know about Peli having dated a Jawa and them being "very furry", though. :D

And I gave a big AWWW when the BD droid (from Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order) showed up, and even more when Din says, "Thanks, little guy." (The main character says it, or something close to it, A LOT to BD during the game when BD does something for you.) :wub: Speaking of catchphrases: "Wizard." No, Star Wars, please don't bring that back. Then again, Din is so socially awkward that it kinda works with him (better than with the kids in Episode 1 :lol: ). Loved the scene of him taking her for a spin, and of course he gets pulled over by the cops again. :lol: Loved seeing Paul Sun-Hyung Lee again and and him giving some advice to the "new guy". Also, this time Din gets to pull a fast one on them (literally). :D

I agree that the ship is a bit impractical for a bounty hunter, but who knows where Din's path takes him. Replacing the astromech slot with a "booster seat" makes me think he and Grogu will travel together in that ship.

And finally Fennec comes in and "hires" him, but he will visit "a little friend" first. So ... will we see Luke/Grogu next episode? Or will that be off screen so we can go back to Boba Fett's story?

Again, loved the episode. It was a nice breather to get us caught up with Din, and overall quite lighthearted which I enjoyed (and needed today). However, in a season this short, to spend an entire episode on this makes me question the overall pacing for the series at this point. Between the flashbacks and present day being intercut a lot in the first few episodes to now this. I don't think any of it is completely unnecessary. Showing how Boba survived the Sarlacc, met the sandpeople and had time (years, literally) to rethink his goals in life was good and important. I still don't see why this needed to be shown in non-chronological order, though. I didn't feel that there was necessarily a strong connection between flashback/present day narrative or theme (unless I missed it). The Kamino flashbacks could have been provided differently, IMHO, if they're meant to have a pay off later.

And I guess they could have just introduced Din with his new ship, and exiled from the Covert, and without the spear etc. They could have teased this as something to be explained later (kind of like with how they introduced Boba Fett) but maybe they didn't want to repeat that. I think it would have been better to have this episode as a Mandalorian special or something to be released between episodes, instead of it being part of the Book of Boba Fett. I thought for much of the episode, "We interrupt The Book of Boba Fett for this Special Episode of The Mandalorian." At first jokingly, and then realizing that was precisely what was happening. Loved the content, but not sure it needed to be an explicit part of the show. The whole structure of this show is very strange to me at this point, tbh.

Anyways, curious where we head next. More Din, meeting Grogu again? Or back to Boba Fett?[/spoiler] Next week's episode was written by Dave Filoni, so it will likely involve character that are important to him, or where he has "control" - such as it is - over their arc, so I guess we'll see. At this point I don't know anymore what to expect when starting a new episode of this show. :lol:

(Also, sorry for the rambling post. :P )
—Stephen Jay Gould