And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 21, 2022, 02:43:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2022, 12:13:33 PM
Meh, not much different from a Catholic observing all the feast days of saints  ;)

Carrying on some superstition out of tradition and continuity is one thing, inventing one based on some ancient stuff is another :P

But as far as reconstructionist pagan religions and their relation to this era: well there is a reason they are reconstructionist and not revivalist. With the Norse Gods we have lots of their stories from the Icelandic epic poems and all that but we know very little about how the religion was actually practiced. And for the Celtic religion the situation is far worse.

And if I wanted to sacrifice a bull to Zeus or read the augurs of some entrails would anybody actually know how? And if not aren't we basically inventing an entirely new religion? That has nothing to do with the CK3 era, so what relevance does somebody being reconstructionist have to do with the game?

It made kind of a bit of sense to have Hellenism in CK2 (by CK2 standards where even a rumor of something happening is good enough to have in the game) since in the 769 starting date there were a few holdouts for the Hellenistic faith still left in isolated areas but by the 9th century they were all gone.

Not only do they not know how to sacrifice a bull, they wouldn't want to do so.  There is a reason why people converted away from these religions.  They were crap.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on January 21, 2022, 02:43:55 PMBut as far as reconstructionist pagan religions and their relation to this era: well there is a reason they are reconstructionist and not revivalist. With the Norse Gods we have lots of their stories from the Icelandic epic poems and all that but we know very little about how the religion was actually practiced. And for the Celtic religion the situation is far worse.

Yeah what's most shocking about medieval Icelandic literature is how much of it there is compared to our neighbors. The Icelandic medieval Old Norse corpus is several orders of magnitude greater than the entire output of the Danes, Norwegians and Swedes put together during the same period. Only the Francian medieval output matches us. Just imagine how many Marvel characters are missing.

The other miracle is that the Christian scribes writing our Sagas like Snorri Sturluson are not at all hung up about their pagan forefathers a couple of generations ago, but take pains to describe how honorable they were even if pagan. I just finished Eyrbyggja Saga a couple months back and I'm in awe of how subtle it is and how you can view what happens both ways.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Threviel

Also hellenism had been dead, buried and forgotten for 500-600 years by 1066, norse religion was still around. To have hellenism in game would be stupid, unlike a lot of other seemingly silly in game stuff (Roman empire, judaism, whatever) absolutely no-one tried to revive it in medieval times.

garbon

And if I wanted to sacrifice a bull to Zeus or read the augurs of some entrails would anybody actually know how? And if not aren't we basically inventing an entirely new religion? That has nothing to do with the CK3 era, so what relevance does somebody being reconstructionist have to do with the game?

It made kind of a bit of sense to have Hellenism in CK2 (by CK2 standards where even a rumor of something happening is good enough to have in the game) since in the 769 starting date there were a few holdouts for the Hellenistic faith still left in isolated areas but by the 9th century they were all gone.

Yeah that was my thought around not sure why being a believer in a reconstructed religion is relevant to discussing how the religion should be represented in CK3. In fairness that poster did say they don't want Paradox to devote any additonal time toward Hellenism as time would be better spent on historical religions of the time period.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Legbiter on January 22, 2022, 12:40:02 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 21, 2022, 02:43:55 PMBut as far as reconstructionist pagan religions and their relation to this era: well there is a reason they are reconstructionist and not revivalist. With the Norse Gods we have lots of their stories from the Icelandic epic poems and all that but we know very little about how the religion was actually practiced. And for the Celtic religion the situation is far worse.

Yeah what's most shocking about medieval Icelandic literature is how much of it there is compared to our neighbors. The Icelandic medieval Old Norse corpus is several orders of magnitude greater than the entire output of the Danes, Norwegians and Swedes put together during the same period. Only the Francian medieval output matches us. Just imagine how many Marvel characters are missing.

The other miracle is that the Christian scribes writing our Sagas like Snorri Sturluson are not at all hung up about their pagan forefathers a couple of generations ago, but take pains to describe how honorable they were even if pagan. I just finished Eyrbyggja Saga a couple months back and I'm in awe of how subtle it is and how you can view what happens both ways.

They did fuck up their interpretation of the religion though. Turning Loki into a straight (or rather omnisexual) devil for instance
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Mythology isn't religion.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on January 23, 2022, 04:42:53 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on January 22, 2022, 12:40:02 AM

They did fuck up their interpretation of the religion though. Turning Loki into a straight (or rather omnisexual) devil for instance

Nobody is perfect. Besides there exists no orthodox form of the Eddas for them to fuck up.

And as I said the actual form of the religion is very little known. Just because we know a few stories about Odin or sayings attributed to him doesn't do us any good trying to practice the religion. Kind of like if all traces of Judaism and Christianity disappeared and all we had was the Torah and the Gospels. Reconstructing those religions from just those would not resemble the historical religions much at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on January 21, 2022, 06:29:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2022, 03:47:35 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2022, 12:13:33 PM
Meh, not much different from a Catholic observing all the feast days of saints  ;)

Carrying on some superstition out of tradition and continuity is one thing, inventing one based on some ancient stuff is another :P

Dont be too hard on Christianity.   

Christianity can take it.

Maybe, but as Grumbler noted, at least in North America, there seems to be a turn back to the old God.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on January 26, 2022, 02:43:54 AM
Quote from: Jacob on January 26, 2022, 12:47:45 AM
Looks like patch 1.5 will have gay marriage implemented as an option.

I noticed in their screenshot they showed a heterosexual in a gay marriage

Most aristocratic/royal marriages in the Middle Ages were arranged marriages.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Oh I see, forced gay marriages.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Quote from: Josephus on January 26, 2022, 11:56:21 AM
Quote from: Jacob on January 26, 2022, 12:47:45 AM
Looks like patch 1.5 will have gay marriage implemented as an option.

Because those were all the rage back then

There's a lot of fantasy and what-if in CK3 to begin with.

You can have Hellenistic Matriarchal Vikings ruling Tibet. Gay marriage isn't really that much of a stretch. And if you don't care for it, just leave the toggle switched off.