News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Stellaris now has a new approach where one team adds content to some underused features/overpriced DLCs and one team builds new DLCs. Sounds good.

But in general, the studio is in deep problems. They wrote off unfinished projects, CEO gone etc.

Which is bad, because I like their general style of games a lot.

Syt

They were kinda vague about why the CEO left, but the general take-away was that she was wanting to branch out into new genres. I feel they've been a bit all over the place in recent years, esp. as publishe. Sure, most games published were still in the strategy bracket (Cities: Skylines, Empire of Sin, Battletech, Surviving Mars, Age of Wonders: Shadowfall), but some left me a bit confused (e.g. Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny, buying Prison Architect, etc.). And then there's the VtM: Bloodlines 2 drama. So taking a step back and refocus on your core competencies might be a good idea.

They had a bit of a "golden age" with CK2 and EU4, HoI4 was still a commercial success, I suppose.

I agree on the current direction of Stellaris. At this point people seem to be playing it mostly for emergent stories and roleplaying, so having more story content and new species stuff makes a lot of sense, even if it doesn't dramatically overhaul the game. It had a bumpy start but seems to have found its footing and demographic now (I wish Imperator was afforded the same courtesy, but alas).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I thought Tyranny and PoE had done well?

It is strange considering CK2 was their "breakout game" that took them beyond niche status and really made them that 3 is under supported.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on November 01, 2021, 10:25:12 AM

Yeah, but not sure why they were part of the Paradox portfolio. Of course PoE2 (and Outer Worlds) was no longer done under the Paradox label, and Obsidian are now with Microsoft.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on November 01, 2021, 10:25:12 AM

It is strange considering CK2 was their "breakout game" that took them beyond niche status and really made them that 3 is under supported.

It is so perplexing. I would have thought they'd be going hard-core on ck3.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

And hey at least good thing they failed on plan to get into mobile gaming.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2021, 01:17:35 PM
And hey at least good thing they failed on plan to get into mobile gaming.

:yes:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

At any rate, apparently there's a mod that lets you play CK3 battles in Mount & Blade Bannerlord: https://youtu.be/iW0MpZJgcvo
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Solmyr

Josephus

Bizarre. I got a promotion email today from Paradox to subscribe to CK II expansion subscription. CK II.  :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Royal Court release date reveal trailer:

https://youtu.be/E9DwUPsIWAg

Spoiler: Feb 8th. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Wtf is this adventurer who is inspired to go hunting for an artifact? Why would that be a thing they think game really needs as multi stage event sequence?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on November 23, 2021, 02:43:30 PM
Wtf is this adventurer who is inspired to go hunting for an artifact? Why would that be a thing they think game really needs as multi stage event sequence?
Yes.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point