Is the Trump presidency as good/bad as you expected?

Started by Syt, October 12, 2019, 11:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the Trump presidency as good/bad as you expected?

It's much better than I expected
1 (1.9%)
It's slightly better than I expected
3 (5.6%)
It's as good as I expected
0 (0%)
It's as bad as I expected
13 (24.1%)
It's slightly worse than I expected
15 (27.8%)
It's much worse than I expected
22 (40.7%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Legbiter on October 13, 2019, 10:41:51 PM
Democrats and the left in general have been an unmitigated disaster, combine impotent rage & cringe with the lunatic spookshow politics of the last three years and I'm left scratching my head.

Totally agree.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

The Minsky Moment

The Bush administration did some really awful things, but they always had reasons why they did those things.  Usually they were terrible reasons, but in retrospect there was some reassurance in the fact that at least implicitly they accepted that actions and policies needed to have reasons to back them; that reason was still a basic currency of political discussion.  If say a John McCain dissented and said that maybe torturing people wasn't such a good idea, and not in accordance with American values, the Bushies didn't just shout him down or mock him but they made arguments why they thought he was wrong. The arguments were wrongheaded, even sometimes offensive, but they did assume the form of arguments.

We are so long past that now that it even that thin veneer of reasoned argument almost seems as antiquated as Ken Burns' Civil War letters or the debates in the Federalist Papers.  What's left is the shrill, deafening noise of Trump's inane shouting nonsense; continuous and unending.  What's left is the spectacle of Republican Senators and lawmakers going through the daily pretense of accepting  the rabid foaming of a confused, egotistical dolt as pearls of wisdom.

Whatever I expected, there is no way to imagine the experience of living through it.  You can imagine it happening but not the experience of it . Impeachment, election, divine intervention, whatever, it just needs to stop.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 20, 2019, 10:42:08 PM
The Bush administration did some really awful things, but they always had reasons why they did those things.  Usually they were terrible reasons, but in retrospect there was some reassurance in the fact that at least implicitly they accepted that actions and policies needed to have reasons to back them; that reason was still a basic currency of political discussion.  If say a John McCain dissented and said that maybe torturing people wasn't such a good idea, and not in accordance with American values, the Bushies didn't just shout him down or mock him but they made arguments why they thought he was wrong. The arguments were wrongheaded, even sometimes offensive, but they did assume the form of arguments.

We are so long past that now that it even that thin veneer of reasoned argument almost seems as antiquated as Ken Burns' Civil War letters or the debates in the Federalist Papers.  What's left is the shrill, deafening noise of Trump's inane shouting nonsense; continuous and unending.  What's left is the spectacle of Republican Senators and lawmakers going through the daily pretense of accepting  the rabid foaming of a confused, egotistical dolt as pearls of wisdom.

Whatever I expected, there is no way to imagine the experience of living through it.  You can imagine it happening but not the experience of it . Impeachment, election, divine intervention, whatever, it just needs to stop.

America needs some smoke filled rooms.  :secret:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"