Is the Trump presidency as good/bad as you expected?

Started by Syt, October 12, 2019, 11:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the Trump presidency as good/bad as you expected?

It's much better than I expected
1 (1.9%)
It's slightly better than I expected
3 (5.6%)
It's as good as I expected
0 (0%)
It's as bad as I expected
13 (24.1%)
It's slightly worse than I expected
15 (27.8%)
It's much worse than I expected
22 (40.7%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Razgovory

Quote from: Legbiter on October 13, 2019, 10:41:51 PM
His twitter beefs are as funny as when he campaigned. Pleasantly surprised by how robust the American economy has been. Democrats and the left in general have been an unmitigated disaster, combine impotent rage & cringe with the lunatic spookshow politics of the last three years and I'm left scratching my head. Likely that Trump wins a second term, may add Minnesota and New Jersey to his portfolio.

Let's not dance around the big question:  Trump came to power promising the persecution of Muslims (Muslim Ban!) and non-whites.  Has he delivered sufficiently on this front for you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Syt on October 12, 2019, 11:38:03 AM
In a bit over a year Americans are called upon voting for a new president.

With about 15 months to go till the inauguration of the new and/or old president, has the Trump presidency met your expectations?
About as bad as I predicted when I was told to get laid.  Grumbler assured me I was delusional back then.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on October 14, 2019, 07:03:08 AM
much worse. I had low expectations, but I thought the office itself would contain him. That all the career politicians and diplomats would keep him in check I also thought that after a couple years, he would get bored of the whole thing. I guess i didn't realize he was an egomaniac psychopath.

This.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Slightly better.

I expected some sort of massive invasion of a country.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 15, 2019, 02:16:51 PM
Slightly better.

I expected some sort of massive invasion of a country.

You got a massive clusterfuck of a country.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

I expected a even worse deterioration of american institutes, so yeah.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on October 15, 2019, 12:45:17 PM
About as bad as I predicted when I was told to get laid.  Grumbler assured me I was delusional back then.

Since you decided to call me out, I will just note that you were delusional back then and are delusional now about how accurately you "predicted" things.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2019, 03:55:55 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 15, 2019, 12:45:17 PM

Since you decided to call me out, I will just note that you were delusional back then and are delusional now about how accurately you "predicted" things.
Ok, so declaring open season on immigrants sort of never happenned?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grinning_Colossus

Slightly better. He didn't succeed in repealing Obamacare. The corruption and clownishness was to be expected.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Razgovory

Mostly Trump is different than I thought.  I didn't know he would turn out to be a coward.  I didn't think he would have much pull with Congress and would be an ineffective legislator.  That was true in his first year.  Now he has broken the Tea party and bent the party to his will.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 17, 2019, 12:44:06 AM
Slightly better. He didn't succeed in repealing Obamacare. The corruption and clownishness was to be expected.

Success through failure is one of Trump's saving graces.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

One thing I am starting to think of is maybe Trump is not entirely wrong with what we are doing with China. I mean I would have preferred the TPP as a way to contain Chinese excesses. However, based on the obvious power Beijing wields over American companies I am starting to think that our policy of engaging economically with the Chinese state to try to get them to moderate might be a failure. Perhaps a more aggressive posture, complete with a trade war, is what we need to be doing. I don't know...both the outcomes of being friendly or hostile to Beijing seem like they will lead to bad outcomes. It is a problem.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2019, 10:41:21 AM
One thing I am starting to think of is maybe Trump is not entirely wrong with what we are doing with China. I mean I would have preferred the TPP as a way to contain Chinese excesses. However, based on the obvious power Beijing wields over American companies I am starting to think that our policy of engaging economically with the Chinese state to try to get them to moderate might be a failure. Perhaps a more aggressive posture, complete with a trade war, is what we need to be doing. I don't know...both the outcomes of being friendly or hostile to Beijing seem like they will lead to bad outcomes. It is a problem.

I think China feels freer to apply this pressure precisely because Trump has been imposing these tariffs.  It's another way to strike back with very little risk because we have an administration that is irrational, erratic and doesn't care about freedom of speech.

Oexmelin

Perhaps China feels freer. But Xi has felt freer for a while. Chinese nationalism has been built on taking back its rightful place, and it was, and would continue to be extremely naive to think that showing ourselves to be addicted to Chinese goods and Chinese money would make them more restrained. Chinese propaganda has switched gear: I cannot foresee a moment in the future when it will be scaled back to some position of subservience, and I have a hard time seeing how "free" market champions will suddenly realize Chinese market and Chinese money comes with increasingly tight strings.
Que le grand cric me croque !