News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Recession Megathread

Started by Tamas, August 01, 2019, 06:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Google searches cause recessions!  :mad:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on September 11, 2019, 02:24:11 PM
Google searches cause recessions!  :mad:

They are getting the propaganda machine ready to blame twitter leftists for all of Donald Trump's mistakes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Threviel

I work as a programmer in the world of industrial communication. The company I work on grows about 20% a year and has been doing that for many years, we're about 500 employees or so.

Building stuff used in factory construction means that we are amongst the first to feel a crisis and the first to get out of it. Apparently right now we are being hit by a perfect storm, crisis in Asia because of the trade wars, crisis in Europe because of Brexit and the auto industry and declining sales in the US. Global sales have taken a very sharp sudden plunge and for the first time we are being hit by lay-offs.

I'm probably safe, having worked at the company for 8 years, but one can never be too sure.

The Minsky Moment

Some recent hiccups in the critical short term corporate funding markets - first the overnight "repo" rate suddenly spiked to 10% and then a few days later, the two-week borrowing rate had a similar jump.  In both cases the Fed acted quickly and decisively to inject funds.  Question is whether these are just anomalies that happen from time to time or reflective of underlying nervousness and instability
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Threviel

Apparently I was less safe than assumed. So nowadays I program for food  :(

At least I got pay until march, so if I'm lucky and finds a new job I'll get double pay.

Thanks Trump! :yuk:

Tamas

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Threviel on October 08, 2019, 09:56:01 AM
Apparently I was less safe than assumed. So nowadays I program for food  :(

At least I got pay until march, so if I'm lucky and finds a new job I'll get double pay.

Thanks Trump! :yuk:
Sorry to hear that :(

Well, there's a shortage of skilled people in Canada... ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Cape Breton Island still wants you!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Threviel

There's not really a shortage of jobs, I live an hour from Swedens second city and the center of Swedish car industry, there's a huge shortage of embedded developers. It's just that one hour is 15 minutes more than what I had, and that's to the southern part of the town. Volvo is on an island in the northern part. It's a bit of a problem with the kids.

On the other hand I'll probably get a higher wage.

I got the info yesterday, signed the papers today. Tomorrow I'll start calling around.

Threviel

So. I got a new job, with a small company making digital locks used by public services. Higher wage and I still get my old wage until March, so all is hopefully good.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.