News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US abandoning Kurds in Syria

Started by Maladict, October 07, 2019, 06:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:01:07 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on October 09, 2019, 02:44:25 PM
Show your work. What is the overwhelming liability of protecting them?

They want independence are spread out between their four neighbors each of which don't want them to gain independence.

Strategic value: None, the US shouldn't be there anyway.
Arguably the strategic value is showing the worth and trustworthiness and reliability of an American ally.

If at the end of it, a crisis occurs which forces a dilemma on the Americans, I think that would be one thing. But as I say that hasn't happened, this is a choice by a flighty President for no good strategic reason.

And it probably will cause questions - especially when you add in the stuff with North Korea - about an American alliance that, ultimate, always hangs by the mood of whoever is President at the time.
Let's bomb Russia!

chipwich

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 09, 2019, 03:05:16 PM

Arguably the strategic value is showing the worth and trustworthiness and reliability of an American ally.

The United States needs to reduce it's number of allies and can't go around fighting wars just to maintain the number of deadweight allies it has.

frunk

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 02:35:59 PM
The overwhelming fact is the protecting the Kurds is much more of a liability than strategic value. I wish taht weren't so but it is.

The relatively low cost of protecting Kurds is nothing compared to the much higher cost of current (or potential future) US allies looking in other directions for more reliable partnerships.

See also the US tearing up the Iran agreement.  We have become significantly less reliable and will pay for that going forward.

chipwich

Quote from: frunk on October 09, 2019, 03:11:26 PM
The overwhelming fact is the protecting the Kurds is much more of a liability than strategic value. I wish taht weren't so but it is.

The relatively low cost of protecting Kurds ?!?

Berkut

I am truly, truly ashamed to call myself an American.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

frunk

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:09:34 PM

The United States needs to reduce it's number of allies and can't go around fighting wars just to maintain the number of deadweight allies it has.

There's an argument for the US becoming more isolationist.  Negotiating with our allies and gradually pulling back would make sense.  Abandoning positions randomly at the request of foreign Autocrats probably isn't the best way to do that.

frunk

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:11:57 PM
Quote from: frunk on October 09, 2019, 03:11:26 PM

The relatively low cost of protecting Kurds ?!?

Our military commitment in Syria is much less than it was in Iraq, or our ongoing commitments in Afghanistan, Europe and Asia.  Not to mention military spending isn't set to be reduced so it's not like we are actually saving anything.

Valmy

The Kurds have fought courageously in the service of our shared interests though, hardly dead weight. They seem an odd choice if you want to shed unreliable, worthless allies. Turkey seems far more in that category than the Kurds.

But if it was part of a strategic reshuffling that involved just leaving the Middle East to China and Russia...ok whatever. But we are likely going to be sucked back into the Middle East over and over again...just now we will be short one reliable and longterm ally who has shown a willingness to fight.

I don't see the logic behind your points here chipwich.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

chipwich

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2019, 03:18:11 PM

The Kurds have fought courageously in the service of our shared interests though, hardly dead weight. They seem an odd choice if you want to shed unreliable, worthless allies. Turkey seems far more in that category than the Kurds.

What shared interests?

Valmy

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:20:33 PM

What shared interests?

They seem obvious to me. What is your confusion here? How are our interests divergent when it comes to Iraq and Syria?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

What wars is the US fighting to maintain its allies?
Let's bomb Russia!

chipwich

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2019, 03:22:31 PM
Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:20:33 PM

What shared interests?

They seem obvious to me. What is your confusion here? How are our interests divergent when it comes to Iraq and Syria?

America doesn't have interests in Iraq and Syria.

chipwich

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 09, 2019, 03:22:56 PM

What wars is the US fighting to maintain its allies?
Syria and Korea.

Razgovory

I can't help but think of the Vietnamese boat people.  The US took in a whole bunch of people during that which is fair since the US betrayed these folks.  Somehow I doubt that will happen with this.  I do remember a time when Republicans used the issue of the boat people to argue that the leftists in the US were naive and uncaring, and willing to let other people die rather than stand up against murderers and tyrants. It was, in my opinion, a fairly strong argument in that it was true or at least mostly true.

I disagree vehmently with Chip.  We support our allies because we promised to do so.  We promised to support them because it's the right thing to do.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017