News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US abandoning Kurds in Syria

Started by Maladict, October 07, 2019, 06:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

I am hoping at least Turkey is cancelling the military equipment deal with Russia in exchange, although I don't really expect the Donald to strike any deals apart from family business ones.

Sheilbh

I always thought that if it came to a forced choice of Kurds or Turkey, the US would ultimately side with the Turks. What's extraordinary here is there is no forced choice, this is just because Trump chatted to Erdogan :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 09, 2019, 02:22:24 PM
I always thought that if it came to a forced choice of Kurds or Turkey, the US would ultimately side with the Turks. What's extraordinary here is there is no forced choice, this is just because Trump chatted to Erdogan :(

That is not extraordinary. That is exactly how our foreign policy typically works during this administration.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

We have very few friends in the Middle East. Shame to see us betray one of those precious few for no reason at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2019, 02:30:06 PM
We have very few friends in the Middle East. Shame to see us betray one of those precious few for no reason at all.

"Promise [Kurds] anything," Secretary of State Henry Kissinger infamously said, "give them what they get, and fuck them if they can't take a joke."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

chipwich

The overwhelming fact is the protecting the Kurds is much more of a liability than strategic value. I wish taht weren't so but it is.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 02:35:59 PM
The overwhelming fact is the protecting the Kurds is much more of a liability than strategic value. I wish taht weren't so but it is.

They weren't such a liability while killing ISIS.

Habbaku

Show your work. What is the overwhelming liability of protecting them?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 09, 2019, 02:22:24 PM
I always thought that if it came to a forced choice of Kurds or Turkey, the US would ultimately side with the Turks. What's extraordinary here is there is no forced choice, this is just because Trump chatted to Erdogan Putin's agenda in the the Middle East needed to be advanced. :(

FYP
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

chipwich

Quote from: Habbaku on October 09, 2019, 02:44:25 PM
Show your work. What is the overwhelming liability of protecting them?

They want independence are spread out between their four neighbors each of which don't want them to gain independence.

Strategic value: None, the US shouldn't be there anyway.

chipwich

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2019, 02:44:20 PM
Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 02:35:59 PM

They weren't such a liability while killing ISIS.

Killing ISIS was not that important to the US, not with the immense number of enemies ISIS had anyways.