News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US abandoning Kurds in Syria

Started by Maladict, October 07, 2019, 06:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 24, 2019, 05:45:13 PM
No. I just think without consequences, this is just the Access Hollywood tape with a bodycount.

There may be more going on in the Senate.

God I wish I knew what that meant.  :(

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 24, 2019, 05:47:02 PM
It's a meaningless vote. It does nothing, and is no different from a tweet or op-ed. They'll continue to vote with him 99% of the time and will not take any substantive action.

If 2/3 of Republicans wrote op-eds or tweets that criticized the conditions in immigration centers, or sucking up to dictators, or badmouthing the CIA and the FBI, would you say the same thing?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2019, 06:04:12 PM
It's a meaningless vote. It does nothing, and is no different from a tweet or op-ed. They'll continue to vote with him 99% of the time and will not take any substantive action.

If 2/3 of Republicans wrote op-eds or tweets that criticized the conditions in immigration centers, or sucking up to dictators, or badmouthing the CIA and the FBI, would you say the same thing?

What you are describing there is fundamentally different.  The vote was form over substance.  The fact we don't see any of the things are listed proves his point.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2019, 06:04:12 PM

I would say something different if they 2/3rds of Republicans voted for impeachment.  Or just one third.  As it is, this is a "If you don't don't comply we will be forced to ask again!" level of opposition.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2019, 06:41:21 PM
As it is, this is a "If you don't don't comply we will be forced to ask again!" level of opposition.

So you subscribe to the theory I mentioned earlier, that Republican primary voters will harshly treat anyone who votes against Trump on a substantive/money issue, but are indifferent to symbolic, gestural votes and/or public statements?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2019, 06:50:44 PM
So you subscribe to the theory I mentioned earlier, that Republican primary voters will harshly treat anyone who votes against Trump on a substantive/money issue, but are indifferent to symbolic, gestural votes and/or public statements?
For what it's worth I'm not sure much Republican politician positioning is to do with fear of Trump's voters per se.

I don't think the dynamic of the Republican party for the last 3 years has been one of an upsurge of Trump voters - like the Tea Party say - replacing incumbents. And, with a few very notable exceptions, Trump has been willing to follow the party line on which candidate to support.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2019, 04:09:15 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 24, 2019, 04:05:37 PM
What does this tweet mean?

It means Donald is scared of the GOP Senators who are pissed about abandoning the Kurds.

I think it means it's time to invoke Section 4 of the 25th Amendment.

garbon

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 24, 2019, 04:16:32 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2019, 04:09:15 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 24, 2019, 04:05:37 PM
What does this tweet mean?

It means Donald is scared of the GOP Senators who are pissed about abandoning the Kurds.

Dunno why he would be, though. They've long shown themselves to be little bark and no bite. The GOP Senators fear Trump's base and the base doesn't care about Kurds.

He is also concerned as there is news about evangelicals and related conservative voters getting turned off by what Trump did in the Middle East.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on October 24, 2019, 11:44:43 PM
I think it means it's time to invoke Section 4 of the 25th Amendment.

No game.  Trump chooses his own cabinet members.  Senate is  the only hope.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 24, 2019, 04:10:39 PM
It's the last bit that particularly confuses me. "Pehaps it is time for the Kurds to start heading to the Oil Region!"

Wut? :mellow:

I would guess he is talking about the Kurdish areas of Iraq. Those have oil right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2019, 07:21:16 AM
It's the last bit that particularly confuses me. "Pehaps it is time for the Kurds to start heading to the Oil Region!"

I would guess he is talking about the Kurdish areas of Iraq. Those have oil right?

They do, but I also believe those areas constitute less than 20% of Kurdistan.

I must admit, as bad as Trump got, given his family's Jewish connections (via marriage) I never thought he'd become an advocate of ethnic cleansing or population exchange.

[Actually, I think the Kurdish areas of Syria have oil as well in the east and south-east - probably not where the best land in Syrian Kurdistan is though.]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2019, 07:21:16 AM

They do, but I'm not sure if that's what Trump means.  Heck, Trump's probably not even sure what Trump means.

Josquius

Kurds should leave Turkey and turn Iraq into kurdistan? :s
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Guys he is basically grasping at straws. I think these tweets are more to convince himself he didn't just cause the death of thousands due to sheer incompetence. He probably thinks "the oil" is enough of an excuse for him to leave some troops, and probably advisors go along with it to salvage at least something of the US positions there.