MS flight Simulator and the future of map building

Started by Iormlund, October 01, 2019, 02:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

The next world update early September will be the DACH countries - Germany, Austria, Switzerland (it's based on the international international vehicle registration codes, D, A, CH, and Dach is also German for roof :P ).

Vienna is one of the cities redone with 3D photogrammetry :w00t:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Does this mean you can crash your plane into your own apartment?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

Wouldn't it be awesome if you could crash it into your own appartment with you in it... playing flight sim... crashing into your own appartment with you in it... playing flight sim....

grumbler

Lord Jacob: What the hell am I looking at? When does THIS happen in the sim?
Col. Syt: NOW. You're looking at now, sir. Everything that happens now is happening now.
Lord Jacob: Go back to then!
Col. Syt: What?
Lord Jacob: THEN!
Col. Syt: I can't!
Lord Jacob: Why not?
Col. Syt: We passed it!
Lord Jacob: When?
Col. Syt: Just now!
Lord Jacob: When will then be now?
Col. Syt: SOON!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Here's a good one, the bridge connecting the island of Fehmarn with the mainland in Schleswig-Holstein:

It's about 960 meters long:

More details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fehmarn_Sound_Bridge

The reason this amuses me is that every Schleswig-Holsteiner knows this bridge from the traffic news, even if they've never crossed it. In case of heavy winds (which happen a fair bit up North) there'd be the staple announcement, "Die Fehmarnsundbrücke ist für leere LKW und Wohnwagengespanne gesperrt." (The Fehmarn Sound Bridge is closed for empty trucks and for cars with camper trailers.) It was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this screenshot. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

HisMajestyBOB

Did you try landing on it?
In FSX I flew a Piper Cub from BWI to Raven's stadium to catch a game.
I actually flew from my parking area to the end of the runway because it was faster than taxiing across the whole damn airport. ATC wasn't too happy with me.  :sleep:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

I got rudder pedals last week so my 'physical' simulator is now complete, though I guess at some point I could start adding instrument panels too.

It's pretty weird driving a vehicle on the ground with only your feet. :D  Much easier than trying to use the keyboard, though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HisMajestyBOB

I'm pretty jealous. I have neither the space nor time to justify getting a whole simulator setup.  :(
But once I do, I'm getting everything and justifying it as cheaper than actual flight lessons.

Which brand(s) did you go with for your rudders, etc.?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on September 08, 2021, 02:21:41 AM
Here's a good one, the bridge connecting the island of Fehmarn with the mainland in Schleswig-Holstein:

It's about 960 meters long:

More details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fehmarn_Sound_Bridge

The reason this amuses me is that every Schleswig-Holsteiner knows this bridge from the traffic news, even if they've never crossed it. In case of heavy winds (which happen a fair bit up North) there'd be the staple announcement, "Die Fehmarnsundbrücke ist für leere LKW und Wohnwagengespanne gesperrt." (The Fehmarn Sound Bridge is closed for empty trucks and for cars with camper trailers.) It was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this screenshot. :D
Can you land on it?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 17, 2021, 09:06:24 AM
I'm pretty jealous. I have neither the space nor time to justify getting a whole simulator setup.  :(
But once I do, I'm getting everything and justifying it as cheaper than actual flight lessons.

Which brand(s) did you go with for your rudders, etc.?
My yoke is a Honeycomb Alpha, my throttles are the Logitech/Saitek Flight Throttle Quadrant, and rudder pedals are Logitech G Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

The Brain

Played it for the first time. It didn't have presets for my stick, so I had to set it up manually. A bit of a missed opportunity at control settings, it would be helpful if the descriptions weren't just a repeat of the semi-cryptic name of the control. There's plenty of room for it. In a complex system like this you want to use all Points Of Learning available to you.

OTOH it did flatter my old computer by choosing High settings.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

On my virtual world tour, I am now in Castrillón, Spain, having landed at Asturias Airport.  It's really neat how the dry central Spanish plateau transitions so suddenly to green mountains and then drops straight into the sea, pretty much.

I entered Spain from Tangiers after stopping at Gibraltar.  I then flew to Sevilla, then to Cordoba*, then to Madrid, some rural airstrip outside of Segovia, and then on to Asturias.

Madrid is HUGE.  I guess I didn't realize what a big city it was before.

* the 'airport' I landed at there turned out to be a small airstrip used by regional firefighting services.  Whoops. :D