MS flight Simulator and the future of map building

Started by Iormlund, October 01, 2019, 02:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Liep on September 07, 2020, 03:12:02 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 06, 2020, 11:21:36 PM
I signed up for Shadow (Blade) cloud service.  It'll be December before they fill the subscription but I can report on results after that.  I'm not keen on spending on another big plastic box.

That looks interesting. Also seems almost impossible but I'm in if it works.

Microsoft is launching their cloud service in about a week but only for streaming X-box games, not PC (and thus not Flight Sim . . . yet).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

MadBurgerMaker

So...if you're messing around with nvidia freestyle settings toward the end of an hour long flight, make sure you hit alt+f3, not alt+f4, to open them back up after looking around.   :face:

Syt

Digital Foundry made a comparison video comparing RTX 2080 Ti performance vs the new (cheaper) 3080.

https://youtu.be/lCPi4-BP6sU
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadBurgerMaker

My quest to run the world's shittiest airline in OnAir is coming along nicely.  Bought some high time ATR-72s for my AI pilots and am stuffing them with as many passengers and horrific cargo as possible on the longest flights possible. I'll be "upgrading" them to busted Dash-8s as soon as possible. 

E:  Although it seems crashy at the moment and won't let me load up my first flights.  :hmm:  There we go, all four up and going.  Need to get another plane so I can have an extra available during the downtime required to remove first and business class seats.

Syt

Guy sims flight to Amsterdam while on flight to Amsterdam to compare RL and simulation. Apparently it's pretty close:

https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/1333959506242523136
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Microsoft released a huge patch today for FS2020 and I just did a short flight from Wilmington to Myrtle Beach in my default plane (Beech Bonanza).  The plane handled WAY better and I was able to execute a perfect landing... prior to the patch the autopilot rocked the plane nonstop (it held course, it's just that the wing rocking was annoying as shit) and the controls overall felt better--for example, I throttled down to descent speed once I started to leave cruising altitude, and it actually descended at the proper rate, which wasn't happening before.

Also apparently the live weather model actually will draw snow on the ground where it's supposed to based on weather data, but of course I didn't see any of that given that I was in coastal Carolina.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on December 22, 2020, 02:31:24 PM
Microsoft released a huge patch today for FS2020 and I just did a short flight from Wilmington to Myrtle Beach in my default plane (Beech Bonanza).  The plane handled WAY better and I was able to execute a perfect landing...

So they dumbed it down to an arcade flyer?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Caliga

I did a flight the other day from Fernandina Beach, FL to Grand Bahama.  It was my first oceanic flight ever in any Flight Simulator. :blush:

Also because it was much longer than a typical flight for me, I took my Beech Bonanza up to maximum cruising altitude.  At one point I was looking down at the controls for a while and when I panned back up I was like... why can't I see out the windshield?  I then realized it had iced over, and looked out at the wings and they were covered in ice too.  I guess maybe I should have been paying closer attention while flying through a storm front at high altitude. :lol:

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Yeah, same.  I did a flight from Grand Bahama to Marsh Harbor since the one I posted about but that's it.  I will probably be playing it a lot more once I build my new PC and get proper flight controls.