The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

I haven't listened to an audio recording of him in three years cause he is batshit insane. So no idea what the fuck you are going on about you carpetbagging Hungarian.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Legbiter

Quote from: Tamas on February 07, 2020, 04:07:35 AMEven people who hate Trump can't stop listening to him.

That is true, yeah. He's remarkable in that regard.

Now that impeachment has predictably failed, it turns out that the Dems lost a vulnerable member in the House, fired up the Republican base for November, increased Trump's poll numbers and managed only to damage Biden in the process.  :hmm: But yeah, Trump's Wikipedia page will FOREVER mention his impeachment.

Add in this caucus fiasco and Jesus, they're going to get him reelected.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Eddie Teach

I'd like to see evidence for the claim that the Republican base is more "fired up" than before.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on February 07, 2020, 04:07:35 AM
Politics have devolved into reality TV entertainment. Even people who hate Trump can't stop listening to him. He'll be your ruler 'til the day he dies.

None of these Trumpeter assertions are actually true.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on February 07, 2020, 06:14:29 AM
Politics have devolved into reality TV entertainment. Even people who hate Trump can't stop listening to him. He'll be your ruler 'til the day he dies.

None of these Trumpeter assertions are actually true.
Yeah, I have no idea what Tamas is on about.  I don't listen to Trump except when I'm involuntarily exposed to that, and I try my best avoiding discussion of anything he said with others.  It is patently obvious as to what's up with him, so any further energy expended on reacting to him is wasted.

The Brain

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 07, 2020, 02:00:24 AM
I'll just reiterate that people really need to show up and participate to the mobilization against Trumpism (and generally against authoritarianism). Otherwise we are in for a rougher ride.

Trump is one of the few people that I simply can't stand listening to.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

In this day and age of endless entertainment options, why would anyone select the President to watch?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

FunkMonk

The disappointing turnout I'd chalk up more to times being pretty darn good, economically speaking, for people disposed to going to a caucus. Middle-class whites thinking "Eh, I'm doing okay considering this moron is in office. Let other people sort out the nominee and I'll think about it more in November."

The base showed up, evidenced by the fact that Bernie "won" the caucuses.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 07, 2020, 09:47:47 AM
The disappointing turnout I'd chalk up more to times being pretty darn good, economically speaking, for people disposed to going to a caucus.

Are they though? I mean they were in 2016 as well but I kept hearing about how the tiny unemployement rate was not the real unemployment rate and vast areas of the country were collapsing and dying due to the decline in manufacturing and capital all fleeing to the tech centers and big cities. Vast parts of the country were awash in meth and despair which is why they all wanted to vote for Trump. But I guess all those problems have been solved since 2016?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

This is just anecdotal but I was in Iowa recently to visit the in-laws and everything seemed on the up-and-up. Lots of new construction for businesses and new jobs around.

The economy is going well in general and has been since before Trump, though. We'll see how it looks later on in the year.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 07, 2020, 10:20:40 AM
This is just anecdotal but I was in Iowa recently to visit the in-laws and everything seemed on the up-and-up. Lots of new construction for businesses and new jobs around.

The economy is going well in general and has been since before Trump, though. We'll see how it looks later on in the year.

Right. The parts of the economy that were already doing well have continued to do well. I know anecdotally farming has been hit hard by the trade way though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Farming has been ht by the trade wars, and then, additionally, some farmers have been badly hit by the deregulation of pesticides.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Legbiter on February 07, 2020, 06:01:50 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 07, 2020, 04:07:35 AMEven people who hate Trump can't stop listening to him.

It's a lot like being in a crowded subway when a mentally disturbed person begins ranting.  It is hard not too listen.

That is not a sarcastic comment BTW.  If you took the Trump that made yesterday's "speech", made him anonymous and put him in plain clothes in the middle of NYC, it would be a matter of hours before the police picked him up for a commitment hearing.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 06, 2020, 01:26:21 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 06, 2020, 12:53:49 PM
The president never raised any privilege objections, only unlimited Article II powers objections. 

it's a claim of executive privilege.  A ridiculous and unsustainable claim, but a claim nonetheless.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on whether Trump invoked executive privilege without specifically invoking it.

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 07, 2020, 11:04:43 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on February 07, 2020, 06:01:50 AM

It's a lot like being in a crowded subway when a mentally disturbed person begins ranting.  It is hard not too listen.

That is not a sarcastic comment BTW.  If you took the Trump that made yesterday's "speech", made him anonymous and put him in plain clothes in the middle of NYC, it would be a matter of hours before the police picked him up for a commitment hearing.

Yeah, at one point I wasn't sure if he was nuts or just trolling the public, but at this point I really don't care.  If he wants to say crazy shit, treat him as deranged, even if he was just trolling.