The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

If the discussion is limited to character traits Donald is clearly the worst.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on February 06, 2020, 05:55:58 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2020, 05:40:17 PM
Quote from: dps on February 06, 2020, 05:22:22 PM
Among people who actually held the office of President, though, no one comes close to matching him for the title.

Andrew Jackson?  Andrew Johnson?

Jackson isn't as bad as some people think;  the man certainly had his faults both as a person and as a political leader, but a lot of his bad rep came from propaganda put out by his political opponents.  Johnson was in over his head as President, but I don't see how that makes him a piece of shit as a person--as a person, Lyndon was worse than Andrew, but a much better President.

Andrew Johnson's problem wasn't that he was over his head, it was that he was trying to sabotage reconstruction.  He was a piece of shit as a person.  He was known to be spiteful, cruel, and jealous.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Being a vindictive populist contrarian was what caused him to stay loyal to the Union in the first place. Johnson didn't so much love the Union as he hated the southern planter class.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Among people who actually held the office of President, though, no one comes close to matching him for the title.

Jackson isn't as bad as some people think;  the man certainly had his faults both as a person and as a political leader, but a lot of his bad rep came from propaganda put out by his political opponents.
He committed ethnic cleansing, owned slaves, and caused a massive recession by destroying the national bank.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 06, 2020, 10:35:44 PM
He committed ethnic cleansing, owned slaves, and caused a massive recession by destroying the national bank.

Yes but he also led a revolution for the common (white) man and stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on February 06, 2020, 10:36:57 PM

Enlarging suffrage and extending the vote is good, but it doesn't overcome the above.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 06, 2020, 10:37:51 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 06, 2020, 10:36:57 PM

Enlarging suffrage and extending the vote is good, but it doesn't overcome the above.

No but it balances it out somewhat.

FunkMonk

Have to agree with Tim. Jackson was definitely the worst piece of shit to serve as President.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

dps

Jackson isn't as bad as some people think;  the man certainly had his faults both as a person and as a political leader, but a lot of his bad rep came from propaganda put out by his political opponents.

He didn't commit ethnic cleansing, and lots of people in his time owned slaves.  If you want to judge him by that, you have to condemn Washington, Jefferson, and lots of other of the founding fathers, too. 

I do agree with you on the Bank of the US, mostly because so much of his motivation in opposing it was just pettiness.

viper37

Quote from: dps on February 07, 2020, 12:30:35 AM

He didn't commit ethnic cleansing,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears#Historical_context
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Oexmelin

I'll just reiterate that people really need to show up and participate to the mobilization against Trumpism (and generally against authoritarianism). Otherwise we are in for a rougher ride.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Tamas

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 07, 2020, 02:00:24 AM
I'll just reiterate that people really need to show up and participate to the mobilization against Trumpism (and generally against authoritarianism). Otherwise we are in for a rougher ride.

Politics have devolved into reality TV entertainment. Even people who hate Trump can't stop listening to him. He'll be your ruler 'til the day he dies.