The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 01, 2020, 02:15:29 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 01, 2020, 11:18:47 AM
Presuming that there will still be significantly support for Trump and his sycophants come November, what has to happen for this deep division in the American political landscape to mend?
Violence and bloodshed I fear.  I don't see anything else truly making a difference.  Hopefully riots, protests, and small scale things only and not a full blown collapse.  This isn't just about Trump.  It goes much deeper.  He's merely a symptom of the disease and not the disease itself.

Nothing

Lines have been draw. Identities taken and given. Both side view each other as the enemy. 

All that's left is for the shots to be fired.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Except that both sides don't view the other as an enemy.  The right openly discusses civil war.  They are stockpiling arms for the day when "the tree of liberty is watered with the blood of patriots.  The left is, for the most party, simply clueless about the hatred animating the right.

The only realistic chance to remove Trump from office would be for a state to bring charges against him.  That seems unlikely though and of dubious legality.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2020, 03:38:13 PM
Except that both sides don't view the other as an enemy.  The right openly discusses civil war.  They are stockpiling arms for the day when "the tree of liberty is watered with the blood of patriots.  The left is, for the most party, simply clueless about the hatred animating the right.

The only realistic chance to remove Trump from office would be for a state to bring charges against him.  That seems unlikely though and of dubious legality.

I'll disagree with that. I agree to disagree.

As far as the second paragraph; not going to happen. Trump has already proved the government is powerless to enforce the rule of law if a corrupt President is backed by a morally and ethically corrupt party.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Oexmelin

This is a surprise? She's been playing that faux-moderate/true coward card for a while now.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on February 05, 2020, 02:16:16 PM
Romney voting to convict. Holy hell.

One left in the party who can still say the emperor has no clothes.

The Minsky Moment

And the last tattered, moldy, stink-ridden fig leaf covering the shame of GOP - that this is was a 100% purely "partisan" impeachment  - falls.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 05, 2020, 02:37:15 PM
And the last tattered, moldy, stink-ridden fig leaf covering the shame of GOP - that this is was a 100% purely "partisan" impeachment  - falls.

Meh - they'll just pillory Romney as a RINO NeverTrumper.  Needed a few more Rs to vote for removal to make it a stronger argument.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Romney is invincible in Utah, he gives no shits.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2020, 02:50:01 PM
Romney is invincible in Utah, he gives no shits.

Or more to the point.  He does.  :)

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2020, 02:43:04 PM
Meh - they'll just pillory Romney as a RINO NeverTrumper.  Needed a few more Rs to vote for removal to make it a stronger argument.

"They" can say whatever they want, of course, but the "purely partisan" label fails by definition.

The utter cowardice of the Republican senate does demonstrate, though, that the party is utterly irredeemable and must be replaced, not reformed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2020, 02:43:04 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 05, 2020, 02:37:15 PM

Meh - they'll just pillory Romney as a RINO NeverTrumper.

That's like fake Mel Gibson Scotsmen making a No True Scotsman argument against a real Scotsman.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson