The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Pretty much, yeah.

And the Democrats should be screaming bloody murder. Instead, they are tsk-tsking and throwing their hands in the air, while comedians - who, at least are calling out the Republicans for the authoritarian cult they are - are doing it for the laughs.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2020, 09:19:10 PMThe Constitution lays out the process for the impeachment; it doesn't guarantee you'll get the outcome you deserve.

Of course, otherwise it wouldn't be a Constitution. It's a vessel. It's just been emptied of all meaning, to remain as a lifeless totem.
Que le grand cric me croque !

DGuller

Any constitution is ultimately just a piece of paper.  What comes of it is entirely up to the people governed by it.  When a critical majority of people think that they're in a mortal fight that transcends constitution, they'll wipe their ass with it and think they're doing the only reasonable thing.

Admiral Yi

The reality we live in is that absent a major realignment of parties such as 68 or 72, no Republican president will ever be impeached, for anything.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 01, 2020, 01:08:18 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2020, 09:19:10 PMThe Constitution lays out the process for the impeachment; it doesn't guarantee you'll get the outcome you deserve.

Of course, otherwise it wouldn't be a Constitution. It's a vessel. It's just been emptied of all meaning, to remain as a lifeless totem.

Disagree.  It still holds the meaning that 67 votes to convict means he's gone.

Admiral Yi

4 hours of senators saying their piece, than a final vote on Wednesday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfPQALBwZTY

Razgovory

I read "A Very Stable Genius", a book that came out earlier this month, written by two WaPo reporters.  It didn't paint a pretty picture.  Trump really did want to throw reporters in jail.  I wonder if he will actually try it.  He's a spiteful man, and he will try to get back at people for the impeachment.  This will get worse, and I don't know how it will get better.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2020, 01:39:22 AM
Any constitution is ultimately just a piece of paper.  What comes of it is entirely up to the people governed by it.  When a critical majority of people think that they're in a mortal fight that transcends constitution, they'll wipe their ass with it and think they're doing the only reasonable thing.

It is up to the people who are elected to perform their sworn duties under the constitution.  The failure of two of the branches of your government to do that is what renders the constitution an empty vessel. 

Josephus

Democracy in the USA is finished. I stated so a couple weeks ago, and some of you disagreed. We knew Trump was corrupt, but now we know the Senate is too. We knew the outcome of this impeachment, but by not allowing even one key witness (Bolton), the whole process was a sham. And this is just the end of the beginning. If Trump gets four more years, you're really doomed.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 01, 2020, 08:48:47 AM

It is up to the people who are elected to perform their sworn duties under the constitution.  The failure of two of the branches of your government to do that is what renders the constitution an empty vessel.
They would've done their duty if they knew that's what their voters demanded.  However, their voters demanded the opposite, a blank check to Trump to do anything.

grumbler

Again, it's the OJ Simpson trial all over again:  a defendant obviously guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, and a jury desperate to find some reason, any reason, to acquit.

The Constitutional provisions for impeachment, like any other element of the Constitution, assumes that those responsible for executing its provisions will act in good faith, especially as regards checks and balances.  That can no longer be assumed, at least as far as the Republican party is concerned.

The question is:  how many voters will recognize that fact, come November?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Presuming that there will still be significantly support for Trump and his sycophants come November, what has to happen for this deep division in the American political landscape to mend?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2020, 09:39:26 AM

They would've done their duty if they knew that's what their voters demanded.  However, their voters demanded the opposite, a blank check to Trump to do anything.

There is not much separating that logic with the Republican position that there should not be an impeachment only an election.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2020, 09:39:26 AM

The state based setup of the electoral college and the Senate is really turning into a problem. I don't see any practical way to fix it.

You are right though - the Senate is catering to their voters. And the fact that they only need to cater to about 35% of all the voters is resulting in this rather broken system.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Syt on February 01, 2020, 11:18:47 AM
Presuming that there will still be significantly support for Trump and his sycophants come November, what has to happen for this deep division in the American political landscape to mend?
Violence and bloodshed I fear.  I don't see anything else truly making a difference.  Hopefully riots, protests, and small scale things only and not a full blown collapse.  This isn't just about Trump.  It goes much deeper.  He's merely a symptom of the disease and not the disease itself.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."